German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 9 weeks, Izzie weighed 19.2 lbs, to which vet "A" told me she is growing too fast.

Today, at 13 weeks, she weighed 28.2 lbs. Vet "B", same office, told me that she is way too skinny. I told him that I've been feeding a little bit more than the recommended dose on the bag, to which he replied, "you should re-read the bag."

So when I got home, I did. I was right and he was wrong. Next time I go in, I'm going to cut out the feeding instructions and show it to him.

I told him that I'm trying to keep her weight in check in order to prevent hip dysplasia...to which he said that I should be more concerned with diseases from malnutrition.

Maybe she is too skinny, I don't know. According to the GSD growth charts, etc., I thought she was just about right. I realize that each dog grows at their own rate, thus one should take the chart with a grain of salt. I don't know. I guess that I'm more frustrated with the condescending tone and choice of words that the vet used...making me feel like an unfit pet owner...even though my intentions were/are correct.

Anyhow, here are some pictures that I took after the appointment...is she way too skinny?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Re: Vet Visit Has Me Frustrated & Confused

well considering mine is a 2 ton tessy
she maybe could put on a couple of pounds but she will grow like a weed. I think she is adorable

My vet tells me Brady is fat he weighs 110 and is all muscle and believe me he doesn't eat alot. (the partner to my vet said he looks great)
Go figure

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you should find a new vet this incident reminded me of when my daughter was having issues with vomiting while she was going number 2 and her peds told me that she was a drama queen my daughter was only 3 months old at the time and after that comment I switched doctors!

Your puppy looks fine to me ribs are not showing she has a beautiful coat and looks happy

·
Super Moderator
7,220 Posts
Re: Vet Visit Has Me Frustrated & Confused

i don't think she's skinny at all. she looks the way a pup her age is suppose to and definitely not on the verge of diseased by malnutrition. i bet if the vet compared her to 10 gsd puppies the same age - her opinion would be quite different then just comparing her to any breed of pup her age, which is what most vets have access to. i wouldnt worry - what are you feeding and how much by the way?

and on another note - keeping her slim as a pup cant/wont prevent HD... either a dog has it or doesnt - if she's at risk (meaning its known in her lines) there are things you can do to slow down the process of arthritis and build up better muscle tone, but the HD stays. a lighter dog, will however keep the dog more comfortable and relieve some pressure off of her hips/joints.

my 9yr old girl looks great now at 83lbs (down from 91). when i got her at 9 months she was the same height and 60lbs. at the time of her HD dx she was 4yrs old and a still very thin 70lbs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
she looks great to me; my vet prefers to keep large breed pups on the thin side; and i've kept my 12 mos old pup a bit thinner than i like; BUT, if i can help prevent HD which the current thought is that it's weight related, i'll cut back a few cals; my boy is a bit thin, but he's active, got a great shiny coat and is doing well

i can tell you that each vet has his/her opinion; some of it is individual practice/experience and some of it is evidence based, ie based on real research not opinions; i tend to stick to evidence based and challenge my vet to prove things to me (which he does); i'm lucky, b/c although he's been in practice many years, he reads a lot and stays very current; i haven't been able to find anything yet that he wasn't already aware of, even some newer more experimental stuff

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I think Izzie looks good. She has the nice little tummy tuck from the angles in your picture and her weight seems to be good too by the numbers that you posted.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Your pup looks fine to me. If you see ribs, then they need to put on some weight. When they are small, they grow like crazy. They look a little chubby one day and really skinny the next. I'd find another vet.

She has a very pretty face.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She is absolutely perfect. She should have a little waist line! And the instructions on the bag are a guideline only; it differs by activity level, metabolism, etc.

Is it possible to find a different vet who treats you with more respect?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just took Greta to a Vet appointment at 13 Weeks and she weighs 28 pounds even. She by no means is skinny and the vet said she looked good. She may have a touch more meat on her than your pup but definitely not much. Never mentioned to me she was under fed or looked too skinny. They roughly look the same. I would not be concerned.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Dave,

I have a hard time understanding how vet A can make a determination that she's growing too fast when I'm sure that was the first time he saw her (at 9 weeks, no?). Vet B is an idiot. Unless you can see her back bones she is not too skinny, and I cannot see them in her pictures. In fact, I cannot even see ribs and I like to visibly be able to see the last rib or two on a pup but that's not a bit deal because her appearance will fluctuate between skin and bones to loose skin and almost looking a little bit chubby due to growth spurts. She's healthy. Find a new vet.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Find a new vet.

I've found that asking five different vets about your dog's weight will get your five different answers. I've also found that many vets are used to seeing very heavy dogs and tend to lean toward heavy as a "healthy" weight more than toward thin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should be able to feel the ribs and not see them, she sohould have a little indention behind the rib cage. She looks fine to me I wouldn't worry about her weight as long as you have done your part on the worming and shots then you know you are doing right by her. All vets are different I work with 2 and they are so different it's funny.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
She's beautiful, looks great, with a nice coat, good eyes, clear ears, a wagging tail
and if she has lots of energy and you're feeding a *good* food, then there's nothing to worry about, except the fact that you have a vet that doesn't respect you.

Better to find that out now than when you have a serious illness or other severe matter on your hands. Consider this a gift in disguise and the opportunity to find a new vet while you have the luxury of time.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
She's perfect
Gracie was 29.4 at 13 weeks. Tell your vets to ....well, this is a family forum so never mind. Maybe find new vets?!! unless you're really attached to them in every other way.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Vets sell dog food. Dog food has a pretty good profit margin.

The pup looks fine, if you want to get a pound or two extra on her, add some cottage cheese to her food - it is good for her too. Pups go through spurts of growth, I would worry more about pano than HD as well....which is common with faster growing pups.

Just ignore this - vets get 1 class of nutrition in 4 years of school.

The rest is opinion.

Lee

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: WolfstraumVets sell dog food. Dog food has a pretty good profit margin.

The pup looks fine, if you want to get a pound or two extra on her, add some cottage cheese to her food - it is good for her too. Pups go through spurts of growth, I would worry more about pano than HD as well....which is common with faster growing pups.

Just ignore this - vets get 1 class of nutrition in 4 years of school.

The rest is opinion.

Lee
Thanks for this. I need to put a little weight on Lucy and I'll try it.
Back on topic- your pup looks fabulous. My vet had me keep Lucy thinner than your pup is. Your pup's coat is gorgeous- heck, your pup's EVERYTHING is gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've found, that when a vet talks about anything that has to do with food or feeding in one way or another, to let it go in one ear and out the other.

Your pup looks fine.

Cute little thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts