German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I took Beowulf in to my holistic vet. There are 4 doctors that work at this practice, and I've only ever dealt with 2 of them and they've been GREAT!!! Never met the other 2 though. Since Beowulf had an ear infection, I wanted an appointment ASAP and didn't care which one helped diagnose and medicate him. I trusted them all!

So the vet was reading his charts and saw the comments about how Beowulf has been on raw and kibble. He asked if he was still getting fed this. I said not anymore. Beowulf was on kibble when we rescued him and we switched him over to 100% raw for a month or so, but then realized that over the next 3 years we'll be living in Portland, if all 3 dogs continued on raw, it was going to cost us over $10,000 in food alone. We can't afford that! We bought a fix-it-up home and know that it needs to look nice within 1-2 years before we put it on the market, especially in this economy where it's hard to sell your home. We also have 2 little skin babies mouths to feed, and a 3rd on the way!

So the vet asked about home cooking raw, and I told him that we're borderline vegans and don't have any meat or animal products in our home other than for our dogs and cats. We also wouldn't want to cook meat in the same pots that we cook our vegetarian food. We'd have to get a separate set of pots, which could be doable. He got heated and said "you'll have to get around this meat issue, or give your dog up to someone else who can care for him better."

My brain stopped functioning for a second. Did he really just say that? Beowulf was abused and starved when we got him, and we've rehabilitated him and loved him like we love our own children. I understand the support for a raw diet, but this guy took it a little too far. That was a bit extreme. He was basically saying that Beowulf's ears would probably not be infected if he was on a better diet. He said all kibble, no matter how great it's supposed to be (like the Orijen, Wellness CORE, EVO, Acana that we're feeding) is still kibble, and is all junk and shouldn't be fed to our dogs. I'm pro-raw and will switch our dogs back as soon as we can afford it again, but WOW.

So he's basically saying you shouldn't own a dog unless you are feeding it raw. Unbelievable. I went out to the front desk area and asked the receptionist how long this vet has been working there. She said 2 years. Well, I've been using this place for the 1 year we've lived in Oregon and I've never seen him, but he's been there all along. All of the women out front know Beowulf's story of abuse, and they love him to death, and love me for how well we've taken care of him, socializing him, training him, fattening him up, etc. The receptionist was in tears when I told her what the vet said. It was as if she was putting herself in my shoes, and was imagining him telling her that about one of her cats or something. The pharmacy woman came out and we told her the story, and she was almost in tears too, and watching them both with eyes filling up nearly made me cry for my Beowulf (and I haven't cried since the last time I was a child getting spanked by my mother maybe 25 years ago). I can't imagine giving him up. I would die for him!

So the receptionist gave me the business card for the vet/Dr. who owns the place. He's the other one out of the 4 that I've never met. She told me to call him on Tuesday between 1-7 and let him know what this vet told me. She couldn't believe it either! I am definitely calling to report this guy. Imagine what he's told other people who might've been is such shock and never told the staff, and maybe never returned for business. Not a good thing to do in this economy.

Sorry, rant over. I'm getting all worked up reliving this while typing it up for all of you.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
WOW! That is crazy. And rare. Usually vets are dead-set against RAW and insinuate you are killing them if you do feed it. I think he has a point that if your dog ends up with repeated ear infections, maybe RAW is the best choice. But to go so far as saying you need to rehome him? YIKES. Good luck finding another family who WILL do RAW! Some people!

We also wouldn't want to cook meat in the same pots that we cook our vegetarian food. We'd have to get a separate set of pots, which could be doable.
I am a little confused by this statement though? I don't understand why you'd need new pots and pans unless you're usuing non-enameled cast iron? No other pans are going to be porous so as long as you wash them well it's not like there is going to be some kind of "meat residue" left over.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
WoW!! I can't imagine a vet suggesting giving your dog up for that!! I mean, usually vets are not up to speed on raw feeding, and normally (at least in my opinion) vets try to do what they can to help a dog stay in a home, unless it is neglected or abused. I would report him to. Can't imagine how many people might have given up their pets on his advice!And yeah..good luck on finding another home that WILL and can afford to feed raw! I know I can barely afford it here in WA

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Wow what a jerk!! I'm sorry but that guy would have a heart attack if he knew what I feed my dogs. I would definitely report that guy he had no right to say that. I'm sorry that happened to you.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a little confused by this statement though? I don't understand why you'd need new pots and pans unless you're usuing non-enameled cast iron? No other pans are going to be porous so as long as you wash them well it's not like there is going to be some kind of "meat residue" left over.
My wife and I were vegan and animal rights activists when we were younger. We're still strict vegatarian, and got into a vegetarian religion that forbade using anything that has touched meat. We're not really involved in the religion anymore, but some of the practices still stuck around. That's all. I've used items for myself that touched their raw meat. We just don't have any meat laying around to cook, and my wife wouldn't want it cooked in her nice pots that she uses to cook food for our children, who are also strict vegetarian. I could always find used pots for free at a thrift store or craigslist, so it's no big deal. But we don't buy meat either. I'm looking into craigslist for free meat to help save money.

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
Unbelievable...guess there are jerks on each side of the coin.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What a jerk! I'm sorry that happened to you!
You're doing the best for your dog according to your own personal situation and he wants to impose what he wants on you.

I've just recently switched all my dogs to raw and I'm never going back to kibble (well, never unless there's an emergency, hehe), but I'd definitely never demand other people do the same. That's insane!
I'd definitely suggest it to anybody, but to even think of imposing feeding ideas on somebody else... wow.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I said not anymore. Beowulf was on kibble when we rescued him and we switched him over to 100% raw for a month or so, but then realized that over the next 3 years we'll be living in Portland, if all 3 dogs continued on raw, it was going to cost us over $10,000 in food alone.
What are you feeding that it is going to cost you this much? I feed a lot more dogs for much, much less than this. Unless you're using commercial raw food, raw is often cheaper than kibble.

The vet's comment was unprofessional but is there a chance he thought you were going to put your dogs on a vegetarian or vegan diet? The comments about not cooking food in pots and pans that meat and the such seem strange and may have given the wrong impression.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
What are you feeding that it is going to cost you this much? I feed a lot more dogs for much, much less than this. Unless you're using commercial raw food, raw is often cheaper than kibble.

The vet's comment was unprofessional but is there a chance he thought you were going to put your dogs on a vegetarian or vegan diet? The comments about not cooking food in pots and pans that meat and the such seem strange and may have given the wrong impression.
That was my thought . I have to believe if you bought say Orijen and added it up over ? # dogs and over 10 years how much is that going to cost. Then you through in a few vet visits that if you fed raw you might not not have I don't know for sure. Feeding raw cost on average $2.00 a pound I would say.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Orijen is definitely more expensive than feeding raw. You can order meat in bulk online and have it shipped to you at a fraction of the cost. Your vet sounds like a jerk btw, and I totally get not wanting to cook meat in your pans. I would look for cheap raw options for now and see if it makes a difference:)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How about only having one dog on 1/2 raw. If only Beowulf is having an issue with the kibble, then only switch him. If he was doing okay with half and half, go back to that.

As far as the vet comment, I am a lady and would not put into words how I feel about that!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Alright. lets line up not only the shelter dogs but the THOUSANDS of dogs living in warm homes, with comfortable beds, lots of love and attention, ect because they're fed KIBBLE! How cruel can someone be?! Beat the dog, light him on fire but god forbid you feed KIBBLE!

Though I do agree, he may have been under the impression you were going to feed a vegan diet in which case I'd say yes, find the dog a better home and get a rabbit instead. But at the same time, if he doesn't believe that ANY kibble should be fed then I'd say he probably meant it just as it was said. In which case he needs to be fired.

I think it's great more vets are promoting raw (Better than my last job where the vets/vet techs/kennel techs all told me I was slowly killing my dog with raw meat and that he was going to become an out of control blood thirsty monster! Their solution for food was of course, Iams.) but that's NOT the way to do it. Feeding RAW doesn't make you a good pet owner, nor does feeding Purina make you a BAD dog owner. (Many people are still very uneducated on the situation and believe that if their vet tells them it's good, it must be!) I don't -recommend- going cheap on it, but feeding kibble isn't the worst thing you could do to your dog. I'd be requesting NOT to see that vet again.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I've gotten plenty of bad advice from my vet but never anything like this. I'm glad you spoke up about it.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I hope you follow thru and call the owner of the hospital!

I'm confused about one thing, if you cook the meat it's not raw anymore so what was that about? Or was he just pushing a total meat diet regardless if it's cooked or not?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well I have never meet a vet that was for raw so this would be a first for me. But I do not understand how it would cost you so much money. Were you feeding the frozen you buy from the store? I feed Max Acana in the am and raw in the pm and I can tell you the Acana cost more money. I buy chicken thighs from the local butcher for $.79 per pound and I buy ground beef and turkey in the rolls for like $1.29 a pound. When I add up how much I spend in raw it is much cheaper than kibble.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I can understand how a raw diet can get expensive. We don't have a large freezer so we buy meat a few times a week and it can really add up.

My vet told me the opposite of what your vet told you. But he was professional enough to point out he's not a nutritionist.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
1. Find another vet - I would have cussed him out from here until eternity for even suggesting that.....

2. It should not cost $10,000 for raw. You can do it yourself for much less instead of buying pre-made raw. I realize you are vegetarian but you do have flesh eating animals - it is part of their life just like not eating meat is part of yours - and you don't have to eat the flesh yourself. (I was a vegetarian for a few years myself - my sister has been for about 15 or so years). And during that time I would give fresh meat to my dogs. My point is, they truly are carnivores while we are not and we should respect their design and that includes feeding.

3. You mentioned cooking the raw.....you don't need to cook the raw - it is meant to be fed raw unless you meant cooking their food (i.e. homemade food).

4. Thank you for rescuing your boy.

5. Good luck on the home!

Raw Dog Ranch - Welcome! and even http://www.doggybytes.ca has some really good advice on feeding raw.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a misconception that I was going to make the dogs vegan. Not at all. Remember, they were eating raw until we could no longer afford it. They are eating a blend of Orijen, EVO, Core and Acana now, which is what they were on before we switched to raw. Nara and Paw Paw were on a raw diet for 8 months. Beowulf was on raw for the first 1-2 months. The kibble has been cheaper so far, so it's saving us money. The raw they were eating was Columbia River Naturals. We were getting 2-2.5 lb chubs for about $3-4 each average, depending on the meat source, and each dog would eat a chub a day. Nara and Paw Paw have been on kibble for 28 months out of their 36-month lives and have never had any health issues. They do great on kibble, and did great on raw. We'll switch back to raw, or implement it in when we can, if we can find some free or cheap meat on craigslist or from the butcher. I'm all for a raw diet, but if I cannot afford it, the last thing I would do is give up my dogs because of it. Love and food quality are both important for a dog's health and happiness, but I'm sure they'd take love over food anyday! Anyone can give a dog food, but not everyone can love a dog as much as I do!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
My wife and I were vegan and animal rights activists when we were younger. We're still strict vegatarian, and got into a vegetarian religion that forbade using anything that has touched meat. We're not really involved in the religion anymore, but some of the practices still stuck around. That's all. QUOTE]

Ah, ok.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Kevin, sometimes you just have to let stuff roll right off your back. You know in your heart that you are doing the very best you can for your dog. Someone will always find a way to judge you negatively, no matter what you do or how hard you try. Yes that person was hurtful, but he probably believed in what he was saying. Good for him to be so self-righteous and proud. He probably has no idea that what he said was highly offensive.

Just tuck that little tidbit of info about that vet in your back pocket and remember that the next time he opens his mouth. And don't, whatever you do, let him make you feel badly. He does not have the right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts