German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They look fine. Different dogs are going to have different ear sets. Some GSD's have smaller ear sets and some have bigger ear sets. Not a big deal either way if you ask me. Did your vet make it seem like it's a problem?

My Lucy actually has the complete opposite problem as your Stiggy. Every time I bring her to the vet, they always make fun of how big her ears are. It's all in good fun though.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Isn't everything about an 8 week old pup "kinda small?" There's still a lot of growing to be done. Your pup is adorable - he looks like he's smiling in that pic. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think he's got perfectly precious lil bunny ears. What did his parent's ears look like? He's so adorable I'm surprised you ever get anything done...

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
pups grow, ears grow

at least he won't look like a rabbit like a lot of GSD pups do

Hope you keep sending pictures as he grows

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Sweet puppy!
Showline ears tend to be larger than working lines....most vets see showlines or American pet lines in their practices, maybe the reason for the comment?
Onyx had big bat ears and they stood at 10 weeks, she never really grew into them....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think he looks perfect! Happy and healthy!! His ears will get bigger with the rest of his body as he grows more.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I think his ears are as cute as he is. I would not worry what the vet says. As another poster mentioned most vets do not see much of anything besides showlines with bigger ears.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cute pup! My vet said different parts grow at different rates...there was one day where Neko's tail was almost dragging on the ground. The next day her legs had grown and it wasn't anymore. :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm sure lots of pups ears would look kind of small if they were erect at 8 weeks. I think he's super cute!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
My pup whose ears were up at 8 weeks looked like that. I think they look normal. Some lines have longer ears. Some have shorter. My pup grew very nice ears from that little stage. Not to worry. At least they are standing!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone! He is a very cute, very sweet pup! I'm not really too concerned... and you all have given me great reasons not to be! I just thought it was kind of an odd comment! Since he's my first GSD I didn't know what to think! So, again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
In a couple of months your pup's ears will probably be huge. Just for a visual reference...

Kessy at about 8-9 weeks...not a great shot of the ears, but they were fairly small. They were up at 6 weeks and never came down.

At 4ish months...they were huge :)

And as an adult - just right...

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
Some pups seem to come with nearly adult sized ears that they have to grow into. Some come with ears that are appropriate for the size of their little puppy heads, and then they grow along with everything else. I've had a couple of each kind.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Don't know enough about standards to have an opinion about his ears. His personality appears outsized, though. :)

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Oksana, Anton is gorgeous!
I love that stage when his ears were bigger than his blocky head...that was the sign he'd have such a nice masculine head!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks, Jane! Anton is that rare exception in black dogs that Lee was taking about, nice head and wonderful thick coat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts