German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my husband took our 3 year old GSD to the vet for his annual exam. We adopted thor from the pound a year ago. I've NEVER doubted him being pure bred and still dont. Just the credibility of this new vet. She claims because he has a little white tip on his tail that he is not pure bred....sorry had to vent. Maybe im delusional and totally wrong but I doubt it
Heres my Thor boy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
he looks 100 percent gsd to me, they get white sometimes, like on the chest etc

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldn't worry about minor imperfections.

My vet calls my GSD a German Shepherd Mix. What does it show? - that even vets can't distinguish a purebred from a mutt!

Mine is 100% GSD.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I looked at his other pictures in your album - without a pedigree, you'll never know for sure, but he does look pure bred, and would guess that he is. Hard to tell from the pic you linked above, but from one of the pics in your album, it look like he may have at one time injured his tail, and the hairs grew back white? Just a guess of course - but I have never heard tell that white hairs on the tip of the tail indicates that the dog is not pure-bred - could be just something like a birth mark on him, or an old injury site.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at his other pictures in your album - without a pedigree, you'll never know for sure, but he does look pure bred, and would guess that he is. Hard to tell from the pic you linked above, but from one of the pics in your album, it look like he may have at one time injured his tail, and the hairs grew back white? Just a guess of course - but I have never heard tell that white hairs on the tip of the tail indicates that the dog is not pure-bred - could be just something like a birth mark on him, or an old injury site.
In the time we've had him he hasn't been injured. Maybe from previous owners?

My husband also just informed me that the vet said she had a high pedigree show GSD. She just kept pointing out every single imperfection. She said he looks like a german german shepherd....whatever that means.
It doesn't matter what she says I guess. Our dog is not a show dog or fancy. For cry out loud he was probably eating out of trash can weeks before we adopted him. He is my perfect boy and I love him and his handsomeness.
I cant help but feel a little angry. It's like saying someone's kid is cute but not that cute lol

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My entire GSD is white...I wouldn't worry about a few hairs on the tail. :) Your new vet sounds like a snob lacking a bedside manor. If you weren't there for an evaluation of the pedigree of your GSD, then why did he even bother to point stuff out?! I would tend to take any advice with a grain of salt after that encounter, but I am known to be distrustful of people who irritate me for no obvious gain on their part.

I'm sorry he made you question the pedigree of your beautiful dog. Take his comments and dismiss them. :/

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My entire GSD is white...I wouldn't worry about a few hairs on the tail. :) Your new vet sounds like a snob lacking a bedside manor. If you weren't there for an evaluation of the pedigree of your GSD, then why did he even bother to point stuff out?! I would tend to take any advice with a grain of salt after that encounter, but I am known to be distrustful of people who irritate me for no obvious gain on their part.

I'm sorry he made you question the pedigree of your beautiful dog. Take his comments and dismiss them. :/
Thank you. I now worry about taking our younger gsd in now. I dont care to hear any negative comments about my dogs. They are much like children to me. I can not guarantee I would be as quiet or nice as my husband was.

·
Premium Member
11,368 Posts
Your vet is not only stupid but rude....she should be praising you for adopting from a shelter, not trying to put your dog down because she has one that is "perfect"...there are plenty of purebred GSDs in shelters...heck, there have been tatoo'ed imported dogs pulled from shelters who have been traced by their tatoos. By German German Shepherd, she is saying that he is from European background, not American Show lines - which she apparently has....to me, in the photo, he does not look like European bloodlines, but more the ASL style!

Frankly, I would complain about her attitude to the senior vet or owner of the practice and either go elsewhere or not have any more appointments with this vet, ask for someone else!!!! This girl needs a SERIOUS course in bedside manners and common courtesy!

Lee

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your vet is not only stupid but rude....she should be praising you for adopting from a shelter, not trying to put your dog down because she has one that is "perfect"...there are plenty of purebred GSDs in shelters...heck, there have been tatoo'ed imported dogs pulled from shelters who have been traced by their tatoos. By German German Shepherd, she is saying that he is from European background, not American Show lines - which she apparently has....to me, in the photo, he does not look like European bloodlines, but more the ASL style!

Frankly, I would complain about her attitude to the senior vet or owner of the practice and either go elsewhere or not have any more appointments with this vet, ask for someone else!!!! This girl needs a SERIOUS course in bedside manners and common courtesy!

Lee
Thank you Lee for clarifying that for me.

My husband is in the military. Post regulations state we have to take our dogs to the post vet to be examined before registering them on post. She is the only vet in the office so it makes it a little tricky as far as filing a complaint. We would have to take that through her chain of command.
After our youngest is registered on post we will not be taking our dogs back!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I would point out to your vet that in the last six months JAVMA (A veterinary journal that almost everyone in the field reads) intentionally mixed specific breeds over a certain number of generations and then had vets guess what the breeds were. Over 70% of vets could not correctly guess.

Moral of the story is most vets cant accurately guess a mixed breed. So how is she going to look at a dog that looks purebred and judge??

She may of seen things that made her think mix. White tail tip? No if she knew anything about breed genetics she would know that the White spotting gene that sometimes causes white chest patches can affect all tips on a gsd - this means toes and tail tip.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
my last vet said my 30 pound shepherd/chow/poodle mix was rottweiler......he's the one not sitting....

They are vets, but that does not make them experts on all breeds. They know how to medically help them.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
She still has a superior officer she reports to. Ask her who that is, and if you don't get any satisfaction from her, contact your husbands First Sergeant and he will find out who her reporting official is.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'm with Lee. That was rude and uncalled for.

He looks PB to me. Some GSDs have white patches on their chest, some have white on their toes and in the case of your boy, white on his tail. Doesn't mean he's not PB. Just means he's not show material.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She still has a superior officer she reports to. Ask her who that is, and if you don't get any satisfaction from her, contact your husbands First Sergeant and he will find out who her reporting official is.
You are right. My husband hasnt yet signed into his unit, we just got here a couple weeks ago.
I will also have to complain about the fact that she wouldn't give my husband heartgard for our puppy because he hasn't been seen there yet....you would think she would be a little more understanding of the fact that he is a puppy and we buy him one dose at a time due to him growing and gaining weight so rapidly.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Can you see a vet out in town and register him on base that way? When we were stationed down at Lejeune in NC we could use any vet we wanted as long as we registered the dogs with the base vet showing proof of vaccines. I chose the base vet because I literally interviewed the staff before I took the dogs in to make sure I was comfortable with them and liked them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can you see a vet out in town and register him on base that way? When we were stationed down at Lejeune in NC we could use any vet we wanted as long as we registered the dogs with the base vet showing proof of vaccines. I chose the base vet because I literally interviewed the staff before I took the dogs in to make sure I was comfortable with them and liked them.
From what the vets office here said they have to be examined before hand with them....they could just be trying to get money from us or whatever.....they are the first post who has said this. The past two posts we pcs' d to all we needed was the vaccine records.
I'll just do it this one time and start taking them off post to someone a little more...ummmm...more tact and care with the furbabies and owners.

Im glad that so many of you see my side. It makes me feel like im not overreacting or blowing this out of proportion.

·
Registered
32,085 Posts
Oh for heaven's sake, I would not try to get someone fired for talking about the kind of GSD you might have, and whether it is likely to be mixed. You rescued your dog, and while it really looks like a purebred, for the only two things you can do with a purebred that you can't do with any other dog, your dog is not eligible for anyway. If you wanted to have everyone remark about your dog's superior pedigree, you would have purchased a dog with a high price tag.

And even then, it is likely that someone would say, "is that a German Shepherd?"

Discussing imperfections that the dog has seems way stupid, but I think filing an official complaint about something like that, well, I think that is a bit out there too. So you didn't like her? Fine. You made the choice to take him elsewhere for care, now just let it be.

These are not children. Saying your dog's back is a bit too straight and his ears too big, is NOT the same as telling you that your kid's smile is too wide and his eyes are too close together.

I just want to say this, if your dog get's hit by a car, and whatever vet you would normally take him to is either too far away or closed, and you need to rush him into see this person, it is probably best if what she remembers about you and your dog is that you levied a formal complaint about her about her bedside manner.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You are right. My husband hasnt yet signed into his unit, we just got here a couple weeks ago.
I will also have to complain about the fact that she wouldn't give my husband heartgard for our puppy because he hasn't been seen there yet....you would think she would be a little more understanding of the fact that he is a puppy and we buy him one dose at a time due to him growing and gaining weight so rapidly.

It is ILLEGAL for a vet to prescribe medication for an animal they have not physically examined.

I agree with another poster, now I think you are taking it too far comolaining because she wouldnt break the law for your conveinence and she said your adopted dog that has no known pedigree might be a mix. So you didnt vibe with her, that is fine find a new vet. But to complain to a superior for something so trivial and petty is just immature, IMHO

1 - 20 of 44 Posts