German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took Maximus in last night for his 2nd round of vaccinations and his vet did an exam as well. She stated that Maximus has loose knee caps and it's something he may grow into or if not, could become an issue for him. She said it's something older dogs usually have.

I've searched here and havne't found anything, but googling shows it as luxating patella and something that usually occurs in smaller or older dogs. Max was 9 weeks old yesterday...

Does anyone have any experience with this in pups? Is it something I should be concerned with? When the vet said if he doesnt grow into it, we'll have to have another discussion, it sort of made me worry... :(

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Perhaps they meant that he looked cowhocked. Usually when its loose back there that's what they're talking about and building muscle and growing usually tightens them up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. When the vet did her exam, she extended his legs, etc... and said he had loose knee caps. The report they emailed me says "kneecaps a little loose - will likely tighten as grows - will monitor".

It just bothered me that she said if he doesn't grow into them, it would be another discussion... so wanted to check here and see if it's anything to be concerned about.
I noticed Max walked a little funny after he went to the bathroom/stood up and he seems to have outgrown that as I haven't noticed it the past few days, so guessing you're right and he will just grow into it as well.

Being an overprotective dad, I worry about everything :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I know how you feel! I've been to the vet twice this week for extremely minor issues because I'm paranoid too :). I wouldn't worry; things will be changing almost by the day they grow so fast!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just help him build up muscle with low impact, good exercise :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sounds like luxating patella's..alot of the tiny breeds have this issue (my sister's pap had surgery for it, he's now fine, racing in agility)

Like your vet said, it could be an issue, he may grow out of it by strengthening up muscle..swimming is good low impact, just wading thru water is low impact good for building muscle tone

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd rather be paranoid and check into something, than not and regret it later :)

I've been working with him on low impact, going to take him this weekend to the lake and see if I can get him into the water without me having to go first, waters way too cold! But I'll probably end up in anyway :)

Hopefully it's just something he'll grow out of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts