German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
We have a different thing going on here. They allowed clinics to stay open, but it is not business as usual. You leave your dog inside a door or tied outside and they get it after you are gone. A couple of clinics meet you outside and do most stuff right in the parking lot. As far as I know, no vaccines are being given. I called FIVE clinics last week and told them I had an injured dog. All of them refused to see her at all.
The vet that did see her sent a tech out to meet me and get info/history in the parking lot. Then she took Shadow away while I waited at my car.
Things are weird, people are scared, no one is thinking clearly and everyone is stressed. I think that in time rational thought will prevail. I sincerely doubt there was any malice or intent involved.
Please take care. Be safe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I want to thank you all for the support in this thread and many of you have helped me see things more clearly. I don’t blame people for being scared. In reality they should be. I think being on the frontlines can sometimes cause irrational thinking I just wish to be treated with the same respect as every other client. I don’t expect handout or special treatment I just want the services offered to the others rendered to me as well. While I’m still not happy, seeing all of your opinions put some things into perspective. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I want to thank you all for the support in this thread and many of you have helped me see things more clearly. I don’t blame people for being scared. In reality they should be. I think being on the frontlines can sometimes cause irrational thinking I just wish to be treated with the same respect as every other client. I don’t expect handout or special treatment I just want the services offered to the others rendered to me as well. While I’m still not happy, seeing all of your opinions put some things into perspective. Thanks again.

I'd give you a hug, but that isn't allowed. So I will send all my good thoughts to you instead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So my Primary Care cancelled MY 2nd shingles vaccine without even asking the questions. But my vet is taking appointments with contact precautions. I dont think it should matter if your health care or a sanitation worker.. If you've been exposed.. stay home and your pets as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
So my Primary Care cancelled MY 2nd shingles vaccine without even asking the questions. But my vet is taking appointments with contact precautions. I dont think it should matter if your health care or a sanitation worker.. If you've been exposed.. stay home and your pets as well.

Yep, it ain't rocket science!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

You know what may surprise you though? You’ve probably been exposed and don’t know it. I can take proper precautions bc I know. You’ll spread it and not know. Who’s more dangerous??

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
So I have two vets. One is military as they are cheaper and I use them for routine care, titers and vaccines. Civilian vet for emergencies, complicated issues or any needed surgeries. Military base is locked down and only seeing on base emergencies and there own MWD's. Called my civilian vet for rabies shot that is needed by 5/3/20. They were very kind. And they are still doing routine care with precautions. We have an appoint for Saturday morning.
Here's how it goes.
Get to parking lot and call clinic to let them know you are there for a scheduled appointment. Vet tech will come out in full PPE and do a check in 6 ft away. They take your pet sans any owner owned stuff ie collar etc. They do the exam, shots or what ever is needed and will call if they need more info or when appointment is over. All payments are over the phone and no contact happens. Seems reasonable.

Our civilian vet is a VCA vet in VA and I will admit we have nowhere near the infection rate as NYC like absolutely nothing compared to NYC. I commented on the phone the issue the OP is having and the receptionist said "Wow that is crazy and unfair". I thanked them for being open and doing all they do. She said they were taking precautions but they need to abide by law concerning rabies vaccines and were happy to keep our pets healthy and safe. And this is how it should be.

So it seems to be regional how vet clinics are responding to the virus and the threat it imposes.

I will say I was completely willing to wait for Ziva's rabies vaccine until this was over as I'm sure she has plenty of immunity but she hurt herself a month ago and has a limp still from an injury that needs to be addressed. We are out of rimadyl so time for the vet.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Nick - move north. We have good vets, good breeders and good trainers. And snow...we have snow. The dogs really love it.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
It may seem insulting and it may be over doing the caution, but I'd rather be inconvenienced than have someone get ill. Judgements need to be taken as to who they regard as more obviously potentially exposed. So yeah, frustrating but they, too, are trying to protect people. Is it crazy? Not necessarily. Is it inconvenient? yup. Is it sad? that too.

But I spent last night being very sad that John Prine died of the virus. I cannot be very sad that your vet wouldn't give your dogs their shots. Perspective. It's an inconvenience. All of us are potential carriers but some people have greater risk for exposure than others. Yes, health care people are at risk of being exposed more than many of us - so too are grocery clerks and police and fire workers, pharmacy workers and the staff in the pharmacy stores. I can understand both the vet's perspective and the OPs perspective. But this crap is killing people. The people who are still working are worried, the people who are out of work are worried. Try to be the best sport you can about the situation. Observe the rules that may seem arbitrary when you need to be out.

I hope we all get through this and our tempers are restored.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just posting this for information to the members of this board as well as recommendations on who to reach out to:

As some of you know, I am a RN in one of the hotspots of the US for covid 19. My girlfriend and I own 2 pups(we both work in healthcare) . A mixed breed dog, and my gsd pup. My mixed breed is due for his yearly vaccines including rabies and my girl, is due for her cytopoint shot. My girlfriend works part time at the vet clinic we use (or used to at least). With the stay at home order in place, most vet clinics including this one have been doing a “drive by” type of service. Fair enough, right? I was told that bc I am a healthcare worker with covid exposure, the clinic would not see my animals and that we could simply wait on the vaccines. A day went by and I grew rather disgruntled. I work tirelessly day in and day out to save the lives of people with this terrible virus and my animals cannot get the care that they deserve bc of me? So, we called back. We were told “I thought we talked to you about this already, we can’t do it, bc it’s too big of the risk,” “the virus could be on their fur”. Well....my response, put gloves on. We were once again refused. Obviously upset, we received a call a few hours later saying that we could drive up in the field behind the clinic, unload my dogs into a kennel and then leave. They would give my dogs the shots outside, put them back in the kennel and then I could drove back up and get them. Is this how we treat our healthcare workers and their families? I am beyond pissed off. These are people in the same community I work my tail off for. I do not want to infect anyone. Nor would I ever expect someone to not take the proper precautions but this is an embarrassment to everyone in my line of work. News flash.....you don’t know who anyone is exposed to. You just know my profession and are in essence segregating is and denying my animals proper care. I work daily to save people of any color, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, profession etc. everyone is cared for the same. To treat me in this fashion is just ungrateful and bad business imo.

The outright ignorance of this vet makes me so very angry. Their "solution" is ridiculous. How is that solving the issue of them having to touch your dog? Dump this vet. They obviously are too moronic to do their job properly. What if it had been an emergency and not just vaccines? I hope you can find a new vet who truly cares about their clients. I would also leave a bad review, but that is just me. Thank you for what you do for your community. I wish I could say the same for your vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, to the OP, I just wanted to say I am truly sorry you were treated that way and thank you for the hard work you have been doing. These are terrifying times and, while I do understand their fear, I believe their reaction was over the top. For anyone reading, I want to emphasize that I am by no means justifying their behavior but I did want to offer a little more perspective. I work part time at a veterinary clinic and we are located, thankfully not in NY, but in another hot spot. We are essentially doing curbside. We have our clients call when they arrive at the building, we take the history, payments etc over the phone, and run the pet/meds/food etc back and forth to the car and most of the clinics in the area are doing the same. To minimize exposure, we called everyone with non-urgent/routine appointments and pushed their appointments to later dates. The staff is scared. My own clinic has 2 pregnant and several immuno-compromised/high-risk employees. Since we need to space out our appointments, hours are getting cut because we cannot take on our usual workload. One person getting sick can jeopardize the safety of the whole staff and force us to close our doors for weeks which impacts not only our jobs but all the animals we care for. Fortunately for us, most people have been very cooperative and understanding but many clinics are also dealing with a lot of harassment right now too. Some people don't understand the need for the protocol changes or are scared/frustrated/stressed themselves and are having trouble coping. I really feel for anyone who needs to be out there dealing with this right now. It's absolutely bringing out the very best and very worst in people. Please stay safe everyone! <3

21 - 33 of 33 Posts