German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of trying to switch vets. I have gone to one clinic for the life of my dog (11 years) but the new vet leaves a lot to be desired so I am changing to another practice. My question is, who owns the vet records? Can I just walk in and get them, or copies, or do they usually charge a ton? This one vet has ALL my dog's medical including heart treatments, thyroid tests, etc and I do not want to lose that information when I switch. Are vets required to send their records to a new vet?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I went to my old vet for 30 yrs. When I switched out, I called and asked for the records, they gave me copies of basically all the bills of all my pets over the years, but the records they have on file, are theirs.
So any comments made, etc belong to the clinic as far as I know. I'd love to have the originals... but to protect themselves, forget that. My practice was questionable to say the least in diagnosis more than once.
I would think any x-rays taken should belong to the client,as they paid for them. I took digitals of the x-rays at the time they were taken, luckily as the vet wouldn't hand over the original.
I keep diligent records anyway, all my pets have their own file, I save everything, so what the office staff gave me wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The only vets that have ever actually given my 'records' per say were the Military ones, the rest would just give me the 'reciepts' ... Some would, however, fax copies of the actual records to the new vet. They just wouldnt give them to me. I dont remember why ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts