German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bellamy had an exam at the vet yesterday and surprise, surprise (can you hear my sarcasm from Florida?) she doesn't like the raw diet. Despite her seeming to not know any of the benefits of raw, she tried her best to persuade me that raw is awful and I should switch him to dog food. I get it, everything has their pros and cons, but the risks that come with feeding raw are slim depending on the dog, especially compared to kibble.
The two brands of dog food they recommended are Royal Canin and Hill's Science Diet. I haven't really heard anything about these brands, so I'm wondering if anyone here wants to chime in. I want to know just what this vet is recommending I put into my dog's body. I'll be doing my own research as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah most vets say ...no human food, no raw...i just ignore them. Like doctors they have no training in nutrition or preventive unless they take it upon themselves. I used hills for a long time. My gsd always had stomach issues and wouldn't put on weight. Hills was the only food he would eat and do good on but that changed when he turned 7 and he started dropping weight and losing his hair. I had tried raw but he didn't like raw chicken or veggies and i wanted him to have complete nutrition. I now feed little kibble ( trying Fromm) and cook chicken/ Turkey/ organ meats & veggies for him. He is doing amazing. So yes, I've used Hills large breed... the ingredients are not at all impressive and i hated feeding him it due to the ingredients. If your dog is doing good on raw then keep doing it until he isn't.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ask your vet if it's so good why doesn't she eat it. lol.

They feed RC at the kennels where I work. I would not recommend it to anyone.

The dogs stools are soft and sometimes sloppy and stinks a lot. Even though the supervisor thinks the stools look healthy.

Oh, their teeth and gums are atrocious; I know its the RC because when we get in new dogs, we health check them and they have nice teeth. A month later and you can see the plaque building up. The kibble even feels greasy.

Stick with raw.

I have kept mine raw fed for 20 odd years and never a problem.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah most vets say ...no human food, no raw...i just ignore them. Like doctors they have no training in nutrition or preventive unless they take it upon themselves. I used hills for a long time. My gsd always had stomach issues and wouldn't put on weight. Hills was the only food he would eat and do good on but that changed when he turned 7 and he started dropping weight and losing his hair. I had tried raw but he didn't like raw chicken or veggies and i wanted him to have complete nutrition. I now feed little kibble ( trying Fromm) and cook chicken/ Turkey/ organ meats & veggies for him. He is doing amazing. So yes, I've used Hills large breed... the ingredients are not at all impressive and i hated feeding him it due to the ingredients. If your dog is doing good on raw then keep doing it until he isn't.
Yep, I've yet to hear a vet say anything positive about raw. But anyway, Bellamy has been having the same problem; not gaining weight, which is how the conversation on his diet came up. Her suggestion for this was to either increase the number of lbs or switch to dog food, which I call bull **** on because how can those be the only two solutions for weight gain? I did increase the lbs from 2 lbs to 3 lbs over time before taking him to the vet, but it ended up causing loose stool, so I brought it down to 2.5 lbs and his stool has never been better, but he hasn't gained weight. When I told the vet this, her immediate response is that the raw diet isn't agreeing with him if it can't be increased and I should switch to those two suggested food brands.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
it's so funny that I JUST came home from the vet, sat down and refreshed the forum and saw your post. I just had the most incredibly awkward talk with my vet about the same exact topic.

When she first came in the room she actually went on about how great Jax looks, how soft and shiny his coat is, how bright eyed and alert and happy he seems.....but then at the end of the visit we still had to have the same tired very uncomfortable talk about how I need to stop feeding him raw. She recommended Royal Canin GI formula for high energy or some such (the paper is still out in the car). This was precipitated by the fact that I brought up that he has an audible click in his left front wrist sometimes when he stands up. He is 18 months old. The click doesn't seem to trouble him at all. It certainly doesn't slow him down a bit. Am I concerned? Slightly yes. She tells me that growing dogs can sometimes get cysts around the joint that can cause a click....then somehow we get off tracked about a prescription diet and after I left I realized that she never continued on to tell me if it was something that could be outgrown etc. She did examine the leg and said that she didn't find any swelling or heat, so there's that. I also mentioned that when we tried a couple of the other foods on her "list" he ended up with diarrhea, but that on raw his poops are perfect and regular and half as large. She focused in on the word diarrhea and I think that is how we ended up with him needing a RX dog food for GI health. UGH!

In my head the whole time I was thinking "I know you get a kickback for selling this stuff!". It is a very uncomfortable situation to be in for sure.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Yep, I've yet to hear a vet say anything positive about raw. But anyway, Bellamy has been having the same problem; not gaining weight, which is how the conversation on his diet came up. Her suggestion for this was to either increase the number of lbs or switch to dog food, which I call bull **** on because how can those be the only two solutions for weight gain? I did increase the lbs from 2 lbs to 3 lbs over time before taking him to the vet, but it ended up causing loose stool, so I brought it down to 2.5 lbs and his stool has never been better, but he hasn't gained weight. When I told the vet this, her immediate response is that the raw diet isn't agreeing with him if it can't be increased and I should switch to those two suggested food brands.
Cotton, how old is Bellamy and what exactly is he getting in those 2.5lbs? Love that name BTW!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You seem to know so much more than a veterinarian that went to school for many years. Just keep doing what you're doing...why even bring it up at all?

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
OP

My dogs do well on Victor. It's a good food at an affordable price.

A vet I go to, who also teaches at Cornell Univ., once told me the downside to being a vet in this age is they have very little education on nutrition.

A friend, who is a dog food rep, told me that She thinks Victor is one of the best on the market. For the record, she doesn't sell Victor. It's a competing brand.

You have to make your own decisions but be sure you are reading peer reviewed, valid, documentation not blurbs on blogs.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Banfield, VCA, and Blue Pearl vet clinic chains are owned by Mars Petcare, maker of Royal Canin (and Pedigree, among others). So, if you get a Royal Canin rec from them, it's likely because they have to recommend it.

My dog's ophtho and oncologist last summer were VCA employees, and we witnessed Mars integrating them into the corporate structure after the acquisition. I witnessed them change policies over the summer due to a mandate from "upper management" -- the first surgery, their staff cheerfully accepted my commercial freeze-dried raw food for my allergy dog, and they fed it without any problem; about a month later, they refused to accept the exact same food because of a new policy from upper management prohibiting any food other than kibble or canned. There was some quiet apologizing and whispering that it was a ridiculous policy, but they had to follow it or risk being fired. Totally not the staff's fault -- just a stupid corporate mandate.

Mind you, I bought (expensive) Nulo freeze-dried nuggets because it would be convenient for them (and the dry nuggets would not upset anyone freaked out by raw meat). It's also WAY more appetizing than most things, so it's something my picky dog would actually want to eat when he's in recovery. None of that mattered -- I had to go find a canned food with limited ingredients he could eat, and take a bunch of cans to them.

My regular vet will feed whatever I leave when I board. I can leave frozen bags of raw meat, and they'll feed them. He's given me the standard AVMA "party line" warning, because he feels like he has to, and then advised he's fine with what we're doing because my dog is doing so much better than when he was sick on kibble. He recommended that I deep freeze everything for at least a couple of weeks, and practice good sanitation with 10% bleach solution to protect us from cross-contamination.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cotton, how old is Bellamy and what exactly is he getting in those 2.5lbs? Love that name BTW!
He's 18 months and he gets a chicken leg quarter, a couple turkey necks or chicken necks, some chicken gizzard and hearts, a kidney, 3 ounces of liver, and I'll usually throw in a whole egg every other day, and I just started incorporating coconut oil. And thank you haha!

Banfield, VCA, and Blue Pearl vet clinic chains are owned by Mars Petcare, maker of Royal Canin (and Pedigree, among others). So, if you get a Royal Canin rec from them, it's likely because they have to recommend it.

My dog's ophtho and oncologist last summer were VCA employees, and we witnessed Mars integrating them into the corporate structure after the acquisition. I witnessed them change policies over the summer due to a mandate from "upper management" -- the first surgery, their staff cheerfully accepted my commercial freeze-dried raw food for my allergy dog, and they fed it without any problem; about a month later, they refused to accept the exact same food because of a new policy from upper management prohibiting any food other than kibble or canned. There was some quiet apologizing and whispering that it was a ridiculous policy, but they had to follow it or risk being fired. Totally not the staff's fault -- just a stupid corporate mandate.
Well, that sure explains it. The vet I took him to is VCA. I just took him for vaccination 'cause they charge the least for vaccines of all the vets in my area (all the others are ridiculous prices), plus they give a free exam for first-time visitors, otherwise, I wouldn't normally go to VCA.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
He's 18 months and he gets a chicken leg quarter, a couple turkey necks or chicken necks, some chicken gizzard and hearts, a kidney, 3 ounces of liver, and I'll usually throw in a whole egg every other day, and I just started incorporating coconut oil. And thank you haha!
I was just curious what other's raw daily looks like compared to mine. It's very similar! I weighed his daily frozen bag last night before feeding him and it was at 3.5lbs. Only difference in what I'm doing, and Jax is also 18months, is an extra thigh, the egg every day, a 6oz hamburg patty (from my local butcher, with no preservatives), a half a chicken breast, and two teaspoons of either Poochie Powder or Because Animals superfood supplement sprinkled over the top. The whole thing get split up into morning and night, and often before bed he will nose bump me until I get up and take me over to the kibble bucket....when he does this I will give him about a cup and a half of kibble before bed. I tried cocnut oil when he was younger but it caused diarrhea. Maybe it's time to try a small amount again. He just weighed in at the Vet yesterday at 89.8lbs.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I love the sharing of what ya'll feed raw! I think we should do more of it!
I agree! I forgot to add that he gets two chicken feet 3 or 4 times a week. As an added benefit, this grosses my daughter and her friends out to no end, which always makes me chuckle and want to chase them with them haha.

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
If thats his daily meal, it's terribly imbalanced. Are you good at math? And excel spreadsheets? If so, you can set one up based on NRC requirements.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If thats his daily meal, it's terribly imbalanced. Are you good at math? And excel spreadsheets? If so, you can set one up based on NRC requirements.
I'm sorry, how exactly is it imbalanced?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts