German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had my 16 week old pup at the vet for the 3rd time in 8 weeks for his final distemper vaccine. They charged me an additional $68.50 for an exam/consultation. This pup was at the Vet 3 weeks ago where he had a shot and another exam fee of $68.50. 3 weeks ago he had a shot and a wellness exam and another $68.50. Does everyone's Vet charge these exam fees when you are getting regular vaccinations?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Mine does. $48. No discount for multiple dogs.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My complaint is that these visits have been 3 weeks to 4 weeks from one to the next. Does he need wellness exams every 3-4 weeks? Why can't a tech administer vaccines?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
if you make an appointment beforehand, it should be cheaper than just going in.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Yes, but puppies are growing so fast at this age and health problems can pop up so fast, that it's a good idea for them to be examined that often.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: ElaineYes, but puppies are growing so fast at this age and health problems can pop up so fast, that it's a good idea for them to be examined that often.
Then why not every 3-4 weeks regardless of vaccination?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Mine charges I think 59 or 69
but If I have to go back for vaccination and the tech does it all I have to pay for is the shot

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: littledmcMine charges I think 59 or 69
but If I have to go back for vaccination and the tech does it all I have to pay for is the shot
That's my issue,wellness exams every month is ridiculous. If they weren't getting vaccinated they'd only notify you once a year for wellness.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: littledmcMine charges I think 59 or 69
I notice you're in Ma. Do you use VCA?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Mine just went up to $28.00 for an exam. If it is a repeat or single-pointed visit, he lets us skip the exam and its fee.

I have started just buying the vaccines there and giving them myself. The rabies has to be vet administered. It is much cheaper to only purchase them than have the "exam" and administration.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: SambaMine just went up to $28.00 for an exam. If it is a repeat or single-pointed visit, he lets us skip the exam and its fee.

I have started just buying the vaccines there and giving them myself. The rabies has to be vet administered. It is much cheaper to only purchase them than have the "exam" and administration.

How do you do that?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Price of exam in 2001 was $38,price of gas was $1.52. Price of exam today $68.50,price of gas $2.69.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I have a godd standing with both Vet practices that I use. They have both waived office calls for me in the past depending on why I am there (or how frequently I have been there in the past). Also if I have an appointment for one and something comes up they almost always tell me to "just bring them both". The only times they don't say that is if they are swamped and not enough vets/staff to handle the added dog.

My vets also charge $20-$35 for the "office call/exam". Usually the same for multiple dogs.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Technically they have to make sure that an animal is healthy before administering the vaccines, which probably justifies the exam fee. Did the vet examine the puppy every time they did the vaccinations? If they did, I guess they can charge for it. It should probably be a reduced charge as opposed to full charge.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: RebelGSDTechnically they have to make sure that an animal is healthy before administering the vaccines, which probably justifies the exam fee. Did the vet examine the puppy every time they did the vaccinations? If they did, I guess they can charge for it. It should probably be a reduced charge as opposed to full charge.
Listened to the heart,looked in the mouth,squeezed the abdomen-2 minutes if that.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts