German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Adalwolf went to the vet recently, and all went well, but the vet said that he is dramatic! lol. I knew he was a bit on the drama-queen side, since he yelps if he just thinks you are about to step on his foot, but to have a vet say it just makes it that much more strange!

He was absolutely fine getting his shot when he couldn't see the needle, but anything else that was in his line of sight, and that he didn't like, he was a complete baby over.

Do you guys have 'dramatic' dogs too or is this just an Adalwolf special?
Should I try and help him get over it, or ignore it?
Its pretty funny most of the time, like when I accidentally stepped on his foot and he limped over to me like he would never be able to walk again, until he saw I was about to open the door to go outside, and then he ran out that door and completely forgot about his foot, which just moments before was most definitely broken and needed instant attention and sympathy! lol.

However, my sister (vet tech for a long time) said that dramatic puppies can sometimes become nippers later in life when they are stepped on/accidentally hurt , so should I be correcting his behavior somehow?

Sigh...he sure is a goofy little drama king though, and I sure do love him!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We believe he will be about 4 months around November 4th. He actually is fine with going to the vet, but he is just very dramatic when it comes to doing anything he is uncomfortable with, so I can see how eventually he would come to associate that negative feeling with the vet, so that is a good idea to try and make it as much fun as possible.

Should I do something different at home though, when he starts to act like that? It is so strange, I've seen him body slam into things when jumping, and I've seen him running so fast that he trips and falls and slides a good couple of feet on his face, and he acts like it was the greatest thing ever, but then when I tried to hold him to check for a tick, he sat there and cried, and all I was doing was gently holding him in place.

I don't want him to feel such fear that I might hurt him somehow, whenever I have to do something to him, and I'd like to try and make him understand that. My old girl was always a rag doll when I needed to do something to her, and she would lie there and relax while I did whatever it was, but I can't, in retrospect, figure out how I got her to trust me like that. Should I just continue being gentle with him and hope that he catches on that I am not going to do something horrible to him each time I have to do something?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha! I love it that Adal isn't the only one! There was some great advice in this thread, and I plan on trying out some of these ways of conditioning him to be relaxed while I 'horribly mutilate him'!

He is very good in new situations, believe it or not. I've never had such a good dog when it comes to not being afraid of people or strange sounds, etc. There have been many instances when things have fallen off of counters, or weird stuff like that, and I thought as it was happening, "Oh no, he is gonna panic!" and then I'll look at him, and he will just be curious and happy, and running over to see what new thing just made that noise. However, this does NOT apply to the vacuum for some reason. The extremely loud blender is fine, but the quiet little vacuum is apparently a psychotic demon out to maul his tiny butt, and under the bed is the only safe place when it comes out hunting for puppy-souls!

So, I suppose these specific moments in time, when he is feeling vulnerable, are what I need to start really working on.

He is so odd though, because when we are relaxing, I can do just about anything with him. I rub his feet all the time, and he is completely okay with it. He lies on his back and lets me rub his belly while I study, or stick my feet under him to keep them warm (heehee) and I can pull him around to reposition him, and he never gets upset. But, the moment there is something important I have to do to him, he gets upset. THere must be something in the tension I feel when I have to 'do' something to him, like when I found a tick on him and had to remove it, and that tension must relay to him.

Thanks for all the advice, and the good drama stories! I love the personalities that come through the stories!!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow, I am so happy someone brought this thread back up. It is very strange that when things change slowly, you don't notice that they've changed at all. Adal is so much less dramatic now. But, I actually haven't really noticed until I read this thread again! So strange, as the time frame is pretty short! (ha. maybe my brain isn't what it used to be!)

We actually recently took him back to the vet for his final shots and while he really didn't like having the light put in his ears, he didn't scream or anything! Also, he doesn't freak out about people almost stepping on him anymore. If something happens that bothers him, he usually looks at me very confused-like and then comes in for a quick snuggle and is fine. I guess I should be proud of my boy! Is it possible it was a puppy-thing all along? I suppose it makes sense for puppies to be a bit dramatic, as they are so wee and tiny and don't want to get trampled by the big guys!

Of course, I'm not saying I wouldn't still say he is a bit on the dramatic side, but wow, he has changed a lot over the last few weeks.

I think I'll kinda miss some of his sweeter dramatic moments though, now that I really think about it...lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.