German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 6 male purebred German Shepherd. I purchased him from a reputable breeder that I found on Canada's Guide to Dogs - Puppies, Dogs - www.canadasguidetodogs.com
At about 4 weeks of age my breeder contacted me and mentioned that "George" was having trouble with his back legs. She assumed he was hurt by his mother. Immediately I was concerned but a couple weeks later she assured me everything was fine. For the first little bit I noticed he had trouble supporting himself on his hind legs but I figured he was still recovering from his "so called injury." A couple months have passed and I noticed as he was aging that he was still very wobbly and appeared to be severely "cow hocked". I always brushed it off because I assumed he was in a wobbly puppy phase. Now at 6 months I notice George is bunny hopping a lot and looks really wobbly while walking around the house. Also, not that I want to promote him jumping but I figured that a healthy 6 month old german shepherd would be jumping all over the place. He's still unable to jump on the couch. He'll put his 2 front paws on the couch and climb up with 1 leg like he's walking up stairs. He also gets knocked over very easily when playing with dogs less than half his size. I'm very concerned George might have hip dysplasia or CDRM. I've been reluctant to xray him because of his age (I was hoping he would grow out of it) and I've read that sedation lowers the immune system. This is my first german shepherd so I'm not really sure what to expect. Here are some video's and any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
For an x-ray they can give a quickly reversible sedative and if he is good he may not even need one. Most dogs do for perfect OFA x-rays but for a look for problems, no so much. Have you spoke with the breeder about your concerns? IT does not sound normal.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Once you rule out (or rule in) hip dysplasia, I'd be talking to a canine physical therapist in order to start building muscle in the rear end. There are plenty of exercises you could be doing (even training them as tricks) to help strengthen his rear end. But don't start this without knowing (medically) the state of his bones & joints.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I can't see the video. I would discuss with your breeder and have an x-ray done. As PP mentioned, doesn't sound normal. Did your breeder offer any health guarantee?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
No video was posted.

Did this "reputable" breeder offer health guarantees?

Could still be an "awkward" phase, but bunny hopping combined with an extremely cow-hocked dog does not sound good. I would want hip xrays done. Most of the time they don't need sedation. And if it IS hip dysplasia and it's severe enough to be causing symptoms in a puppy, then trust me you do NOT need OFA straight hips to diagnose it. Even Zeke's hips weren't straight and we were able to diagnose mild dysplasia.

If it IS dysplasia, and that severe, I would want breeder compensation. If they didn't give a contract or guarantee then it's not a good breeder. However lemon laws may apply in your area. And in many areas a congenital lifelong disease discovered in the first year would be covered, especially if the pup was exhibiting symptoms while the breeder had possession.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
BTW if they do need sedation there are several mild IV injections that can be given, and many that can be reversed. Many don't fully knock the dog out, just calm the dog down enough to allow them to take the xrays. We've sedated several puppies (older puppies, like yours) before with no problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm having the same problems with my 4 month old gsd. his mom is a showline, his dad working. i'm being told by some that it's normal for show line and he will probably always be that way. I did take him for xrays and bloodwork, all normal. now I have people advising me to take him to a neurologist. I plan to call some this week. i'll post results. good luck with your puppy!

·
Banned
950 Posts
Dm

I am dealing with something similiar right now with a client's dog. He drags is hind legs a bit when he walks and is a little wobbly. I have been looking into DM thinking that is what it is. If your dog is dragging his legs a bit and you notice his nails are uneven or you can hear his nails drag when you take him out for a walk, you could look into DM too. Degenerative myelopathy ? I could be totally wrong but it might be worth looking into :) hope that helps, and DO speak to the breeder about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.