German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bosco had tail amputation surgery on Thursday (2 days ago). Vet says everything wentnwell and he's been sluggish as expected and has been healing fine until this afternoon. Able to walk slowly and in short distances, able to pee and poo but has a loss of appetite. We've been having a tough time trying to get him to eat something and give him his pain and anti inflammatory med but he's been taking them. Then out of the blue this afternoon, he experiences panting, is incredibly weak and his left leg is swollen. He couldn't even get himself up to stand/sit and he's very thirsty. His right leg, where the IV was is cooler to touch compared to his other legs. What is going on?! We brought him to the vet ASAP and even the vet has no answers. What's left of his tail looks pretty good for having been amputated, no swelling, sutures look good, no bleeding or discharge. Why is Bosco feeling this way?

We're all beyond worried and keeping close watch on him. We are trying to keep him warm and giving him water when he asks, as well as trying to elevate the swollen leg by placing it in on a pillow. I don't know what to do because his breathing looks more shallow than normal and he looks like he's taking in more breaths than normal as well. Why is his leg swollen? How are all his signs/symptoms related? Will he be okay? I am so scared!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You need to contact your Vet right now.

It might be side effects of the medication. Circulation sounds poor in the IV'd leg too.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree, call the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Go to ER vet ASAP! Dogs get deep vein thrombosis too, and surgery, decreased activity, and possible dehydration makes this a serious risk, and his symptoms are very worrisome.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
He may be throwing clots (I hope I am wrong) and they can be anywhere, in the lungs too (if his breathing is affected). I hope you can get him into an ER.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Agree with all the above - ER vet immediately. One of my dogs had their tail amputated and was fine next day. I would be very concerned on the symptoms your are describing.

Cheryl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late update, we've all just been worried and trying to figure everything out. We took him to the ER vet this morning after speaking with our main vet again. Bosco is currently being kept at the hospital for observation because they want to run a whole battery of tests on him tomorrow morning when the appropriate people are there.

Bosco is confined for tonight, possibly for the next 2-3 days and is being pumped with strong antibiotics to flush out possible infection. The prognosis on his right leg is very poor (may be a clot) and full amputation is what is being recommended. As for the swelling on the left leg, they obviously found fluid and they're thinking it could be due to the lack of circulation in the right.

We are hoping and praying for some sort of miracle that this was all a freak infection and that he will be okay with just the antibiotics. Amputation is scaring us because it really is risky as we are finding out now. It is just so hard to accept that Bosco is suffering like this. Prior to his tail injury, Bosco has been a healthy, active dog. And to see him like this, it's really just a stab in the heart.

It's so scary when they outline options to possible treatments and explaining the risks that come with each one. We're just trying our best to be positive and make sure that he knows we love him very much. Please please please send us some positive energy and lots of prayers for our Bosco. He is so sweet and loving and doesn't deserve something like this! He is only 4 years old and we want him to be happy and healthy for many more!

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I wouldn't take the leg....unless it is truly the only option(I hope this vet is trustworthy) And getting 2nd opinions is probably out due to time constraints, but I'd weigh all the options.

What was the reason for the tail amputation/injury? Was the vet certain Bosco was good to go with a strong immune system before this procedure?

Prayers of strength for you and him...how scared you must be.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What a nightmare, I am so sorry to hear this. It seems like so often the vets put the worst case scenario out there, and from reading these threads, so much more often the dogs don't end up taking that route. I am wishing you a good outcome, and hope your Bosco rebounds soon.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sending prayers and good thoughts. This is a rough situation to be in for you guys. Hope it doesn't lead to any more amputations and they can correct the problem(s) without it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't take the leg....unless it is truly the only option(I hope this vet is trustworthy) And getting 2nd opinions is probably out due to time constraints, but I'd weigh all the options.

What was the reason for the tail amputation/injury? Was the vet certain Bosco was good to go with a strong immune system before this procedure?

Prayers of strength for you and him...how scared you must be.
Thank you for your prayers. I agree, amputation is our last resort and we want to put it off for as long as we can. We would like to do physiotherapy if at all possible. We are willing to invest the time and resources to do that especially if it means he gets to keep his leg.

He had a cut on the tip of this tail that wouldn't resolve after thwacking his tail on our deck resulting in a break. Amputation was the last resort treatment for his injury. The tissue was necrosing despite different meds and normal blood work.

This procedure was supposed to increase his quality of life and now we're here. I hate that he is suffering. I am terrified. I can only imagine what he must be feeling. I really hope and pray that he overcomes this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sending prayers and good thoughts. This is a rough situation to be in for you guys. Hope it doesn't lead to any more amputations and they can correct the problem(s) without it.
What a nightmare, I am so sorry to hear this. It seems like so often the vets put the worst case scenario out there, and from reading these threads, so much more often the dogs don't end up taking that route. I am wishing you a good outcome, and hope your Bosco rebounds soon.
Thank you for the well wishes! Every bit of positivity is very much appreciated and needed

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thank you for your prayers. I agree, amputation is our last resort and we want to put it off for as long as we can. We would like to do physiotherapy if at all possible. We are willing to invest the time and resources to do that especially if it means he gets to keep his leg.

He had a cut on the tip of this tail that wouldn't resolve after thwacking his tail on our deck resulting in a break. Amputation was the last resort treatment for his injury. The tissue was necrosing despite different meds and normal blood work.

This procedure was supposed to increase his quality of life and now we're here. I hate that he is suffering. I am terrified. I can only imagine what he must be feeling. I really hope and pray that he overcomes this.

With every surgery there are risks and possible complications. You just never know and it's a risk we take. Amputating his tail because it was literally dying on him was necessary. But with it came risks. Unfortunately, he was one of the one those risks affected. Don't beat yourself up. You did what needed to be done to keep him healthy knowing there were potential risks involved. Will continue to check back on his progress. Take care.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I am so sorry Bosco and your family are suffering through this. Hoping he improves soon, can tell by your posts what good care you take of him...

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Good wishes coming your way.
What a terrible freak thing to happen to a dog :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts