German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 month old male who is a giant goofball and also very excited when we are playing ball. I would guess he is 65 lbs? He has already had an injury to his front paw from running down a hill over and over.. that healed and I thought it was a fluke. Yesterday he was running to the fence for a ball (no hill) and started screaming and holding his back leg up. He screamed for a full 2 minutes like he was dying!! I was terrified and held him until he stopped yelping. Within 3 minutes he was back to normal. He is fine today but we are taking it easy. I know he was hurt but the screaming was nuts. Could have a low pain tolerance ? Or does he need another vet visit? He is definitely a talkative little guy..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Oskar is EXACTLY like that. When he was younger he'd bump his leg, or any small injury, he'd scream like he was being tortured. Scared the heck outta me! I'd run up, check out his leg, paw, whatever it was, rub it, manipulate it, then he'd be fine, sometimes he'd limp for a minute or two, but was fine. Luckily every time he'd do that, it wasn't an injury he needed to go to the Vet for. If he'd continued to limp, or pack his leg, or there had been a 'real' injury, I would have taken him straight to the Vet. Like drparker151 said, when in doubt take him to the Vet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This was Nova 100%!! She'd scream and scream and suddenly she'd be fine and back to playing. I thought I was going to get the humane society called on me. My friend who was there one day when she did this thought she'd broken her leg.

Whiskey was the same as a puppy as well. I think most of them grow out of it thank goodness, what a sound!!

I'd distract her when she did it and if she walked to me without limping I'd just check her over and observe for a bit. Most of the time she seemed completely fine and never needed a vet visit, but use your judgement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I stepped on Max's paw going into training. He walked under my foot as we entered the building. He dropped to the ground crying and carrying on, I was beside myself, I thought I broke something.

Trainer casually walked over, looked at the paw he was nursing and said "ah, shepherd puppy dramatics, he'll be fine"

2 minutes later we were back to training and all was right with the world!

Trainer did say Max is a very typical shepherd pup, goofball and happy, but dramatic.

They seem to grow out of it, I only remember my other 3 shepherds as the loyal, strong companions they grew up to be. Totally forgot about the goofy, clumsy, drama that comes with a puppy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oskar is EXACTLY like that. When he was younger he'd bump his leg, or any small injury, he'd scream like he was being tortured. Scared the heck outta me! I'd run up, check out his leg, paw, whatever it was, rub it, manipulate it, then he'd be fine, sometimes he'd limp for a minute or two, but was fine. Luckily every time he'd do that, it wasn't an injury he needed to go to the Vet for. If he'd continued to limp, or pack his leg, or there had been a 'real' injury, I would have taken him straight to the Vet. Like drparker151 said, when in doubt take him to the Vet.
That is so funny! Glad to hear mine is not the only drama queen…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts