German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first heard of this kennel (PM for "kennel" name) when a friend of mine in Macon asked about their Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. She asked me if I would go "check them out." The first thing I noticed was a website with a dozen different breeds of dogs: mainly Yorkies, Maltese, the "poo" breeds, Cavaliers, etc. Red flag! Red flag!

The dogs were CKC registered (Continental Kennel Club - not Canadian).

I drove up to the "Kennel," and ended in a country residential area. When I drove up the driveway, I heard hundreds of dogs barking, and the stench was awful. I walked towards an old ocean container which was a glorified "vetting" room. They had rabbit wire cages with dogs crammed in them - the "breeding area."

The "breeder" walked out and asked if I was here to see the Cavaliers, I said yes, and I followed him to the back of the property. There were cement runs with dozens of dogs in them. I couldn't hear myself think with the howling and barking and crying. The dogs were walking and living in feces and urine, and most had hair loss and were NOT healthy (wet eyes, skittish, etc.) I literally walked for almost 100 yards through hundreds of these "pens" until we got back to an old chicken house converted into a covered kennel area. That area had four LINES of kennels back to back against each other. As we walked back, the "breeder" shouted at some of the dogs yipping and crying and barking.

I seriously thought I would vomit. We got to a pen with three six month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. One had an eye injury that I pointed out - its eye was clouded and had a scratch on the cornea (or a puncture). Another was so terrified it peed on itself and tried to bite. The third had some sort of skin infection/rash/mange as it was losing hair on its back and rump.

I wish I had brought a camera. The guy went in to grab one of the puppies, and the puppies ran to the other side of the kennel and slammed themselves up against the side. It was obvious NONE of these had human contact.

Long story short, I contacted the Georgia Dept of Agriculture and reported them. "We'll look into it" is the response I got last October. I heard from two other people about their experiences visiting the kennel as well as one lady who opted to buy one of the puppies and had to enlist professional help as she couldn't get near it at her home.

Well, lo and behold, this kennel is now raising German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois. I can't imagine the life they will have or what kind of dog they will become if in the same conditions as the dogs above.

I don't know what else to do! I contacted the Dept of Ag (useless) and Animal Control, and the other people also contacted the Dept of Ag and got the reply, "we'll look into it, but we're short-handed."

Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
My Izzy came from a puppy mill she is a gsd came with a boat load of medical problems, but I knew that when she was rescued. Thank-You for trying to stop them. Local new is good and any rescues also.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would try to go in there and somehow get some pics take them to the local police station, or humane society. That is just horrible. Please do something. I know you have once already but thats just horrible. and keep us updated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
sometimes you have to be relentless on your quest to report this or the authorities just shun it off. the scary thing about them breeding these dogs is when temperment issues arise and in the wrong hands these dogs can be dangerous, not to mention the poor owners who have to shell out boo coo bucks in medical bills to try to get them back to health, but once tramatized by their upbringing it's a long road. i know a lot of rescues who resue the mill dogs and with alot of tlc they can become wonderful housepets but it takes time and money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You need to go again and take some pictures. Bring a friend along who will do it secretly as you are "looking" at puppys for sale. Contact your local news, every Rescue you can think of, the police, several humane societies, keep going until something is done. Contact Dateline and see if they would be willing to investigate! Seriously, I would make numerous phone calls and not stop until somebody listens. These poor dogs lives are depending on someone to help them. They are helpless. If you make enough of a stink, someone HAS to look into it. Keep calling back to see if they've gone there yet. Call daily. I would.

Joanna

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Defenitely contact the local news stations. Esp. Fox5 news is good about those kinda stories. If nothing else helps, I'd even try Peta. This is appalling

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you had to witness such an awful place as I can't even imagine how hard that must of been. Get the media involved as well as any other groups you can get to listen (all the Animal Welfare groups). These people need to be exposed for what they are and shut down.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that they had at least three reports on "BadBreederReport.org," but I think that website is down now.

Anyone in the Atlanta area want a field trip? The kennel is up near the GA/TN border.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I shudder to think about who will end up with a malinois from a puppy mill. Anyone that can handler a mal would not get one from them, and anyone that does end up getting one will end up with basically a wild animal. Holy crap.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the recommendation of some here, I contacted the "stop puppy mills" with the HSUS. The Pet-Abuse.com website only says to contact the local agency or department of agr. I did both to no avail.

I'll contact 11Alive as well.

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
I agree that you should contact the local news, and contact the dog warden, the humane society/animal protective league in your area.

We have laws, plenty of them, that this guy is already violating. I would call the sherriff's department and if you get absolutely no where, you should contact some of the above and ask who might this guy be paying off to stay in business.

In every state there are laws about cruelty and neglect, if this guy does not fit in one category, he fits in the other. When screwballs like this get going and stay open because no one bothers to enforce the laws on the books, everyone starts screaming for more laws. More laws are not necessary. Enforcing the law in this case is the problem.

Another thought is to contact local dog clubs and ask them to help you shut this guy down. Explain exactly, as you have here, what you saw, and try to get them to help you, push the local authorities.

Good luck at getting him shut down.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have contacted the following people:

Local Animal Control
Local Sheriff's Office
Georgia Dept. of Agriculture
HSUS
State Animal Control Board of Directors
Two t.v. stations based out of Atlanta that thrive on this
Two breed clubs here in Georgia
Five rescues

The only reply I have received thus far was from the Dept of Agriculture back in October saying that they would "get to it." We're now 9 months later, and two dog breeds have been added to their kennel that they are breeding, and now they're offering a "trainer" who can't spell "excited" or "Schutzhund" correctly but are offering training in it. I know that's what I want, a puppy mill-bred Shepherd or Malinois with limited human contacted being taught "Schutzhund" (aka, in hillbilly talk - "how to attack." Yes I know REAL Schutzhund is not "how to attack," but I'm working off peoples' mindsets in that area.)

A snippet of their training creed:

We're exited and thankful for your interest in xxxxxxx Kennels. I have embraced the concepts of the traditional ways of police Canine Training and have adopted the discipline of Politzie Shutzhund Profung (PSP). incorporating tactical SWAT Canine concepts in every dog we train. Now days with temptation of business the Dual Purpose Police Canine has been sold out to putting out quantity instead of quality. We her at xxxxxxx Kennels train each Canine to be able to handle any confrontation or situation it comes into contact with.We will not compromised your safety or the safety of your canine partner by slacking on training to satisfy time restraints or release more canine Teams half trained so we can start the next team to get paid. I have been handling and training working dogs for over 12 years working several dual purpose canines in Patrol functions on the streets and acting in a SWAT capacity. I have received training and actually applied it on the streets resulting in over 100 apprehensions and 5+ million in drug seizures. I have multiple certifications in canine instruction and training and also certified in K9 SWAT tactics and tactical aviation deployment. We train the Team not just the dog. We emphasize the legalities of handling Police Canines or if your a civilian we will teach you the do's and dont's of interacting with the public after your personal protection dog has passed and graduated.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistleI have contacted the following people:

Local Animal Control
Local Sheriff's Office
Georgia Dept. of Agriculture
HSUS
State Animal Control Board of Directors
Two t.v. stations based out of Atlanta that thrive on this
Two breed clubs here in Georgia
Five rescues

The only reply I have received thus far was from the Dept of Agriculture back in October saying that they would "get to it." We're now 9 months later, and two dog breeds have been added to their kennel that they are breeding, and now they're offering a "trainer" who can't spell "excited" or "Schutzhund" correctly but are offering training in it. I know that's what I want, a puppy mill-bred Shepherd or Malinois with limited human contacted being taught "Schutzhund" (aka, in hillbilly talk - "how to attack." Yes I know REAL Schutzhund is not "how to attack," but I'm working off peoples' mindsets in that area.)

A snippet of their training creed:

We're exited and thankful for your interest in xxxxxxx Kennels. I have embraced the concepts of the traditional ways of police Canine Training and have adopted the discipline of Politzie Shutzhund Profung (PSP). incorporating tactical SWAT Canine concepts in every dog we train. Now days with temptation of business the Dual Purpose Police Canine has been sold out to putting out quantity instead of quality. We her at xxxxxxx Kennels train each Canine to be able to handle any confrontation or situation it comes into contact with.We will not compromised your safety or the safety of your canine partner by slacking on training to satisfy time restraints or release more canine Teams half trained so we can start the next team to get paid. I have been handling and training working dogs for over 12 years working several dual purpose canines in Patrol functions on the streets and acting in a SWAT capacity. I have received training and actually applied it on the streets resulting in over 100 apprehensions and 5+ million in drug seizures. I have multiple certifications in canine instruction and training and also certified in K9 SWAT tactics and tactical aviation deployment. We train the Team not just the dog. We emphasize the legalities of handling Police Canines or if your a civilian we will teach you the do's and dont's of interacting with the public after your personal protection dog has passed and graduated.
Oh dear God!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Having met a few Mals at competitive events I could not agree more. They need someone who know a lot about dogs.

But the bottom line on the poster's end is to be persistent. I know nothing bout the situation in Georgia regarding puppy mills, humane societies, rescue groups, etc. but I would try and enlist as much support as possible. ditto for the news channels, including FOX.

As for PETA, because I have been involved in a similar situation, I doubt they will be helpful. An organization I will never understand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts