German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I know this question has been asked multiple times before but I need more updated info and help! I got my Mando who’s an almost 19 week gsd puppy 2 months ago from a possibly sketch breeder. So far he’s extremely energetic and loves to play but he cannot seem to gain weight no matter what I do. Most recent vet visit showed that he was barely 26 pounds and is 18.5 weeks at the time! We have been feeding him royal canin German shepherd puppy breed food for the last 6 weeks, 3 cups a day and just recently increased to one can of blue wilderness puppy can food and 2 cups of Rc gsd puppy dry food to now make it 4 meals a day to try to increase weight. I don’t think he’s particular very active other than typical puppy play, I walk him around my street once a day and that’s about it. He runs behind my cats at home and does basic training as well. Tested him for worms twice and have had monthly dewormer and all his vaccines. At one point I wondered whether he was actually a mix because I thought his hips and hind legs looked like a hound and unfortunately we did not Do much research before getting him (we really needed to get him at the time we got him due to our work hours and I couldn’t wait 6 months on a waiting list at more expensive/reputable breeders) and only got a couple papers from the breeder but our vet believes that he is a true shepherd. if anyone had any Ideas on better food regimen to help gain weight or if we should be on the lookout for other issues he may have that could be causing lack of Weight gain. He does stool at least twice a day, with this new food regimen and I haven’t seen any worms. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone! I know this question has been asked multiple times before but I need more updated info and help! I got my Mando who’s an almost 19 week gsd puppy 2 months ago from a possibly sketch breeder. So far he’s extremely energetic and loves to play but he cannot seem to gain weight no matter what I do. Most recent vet visit showed that he was barely 26 pounds and is 18.5 weeks at the time! We have been feeding him royal canin German shepherd puppy breed food for the last 6 weeks, 3 cups a day and just recently increased to one can of blue wilderness puppy can food and 2 cups of Rc gsd puppy dry food to now make it 4 meals a day to try to increase weight. I don’t think he’s particular very active other than typical puppy play, I walk him around my street once a day and that’s about it. He runs behind my cats at home and does basic training as well. Tested him for worms twice and have had monthly dewormer and all his vaccines. At one point I wondered whether he was actually a mix because I thought his hips and hind legs looked like a hound and unfortunately we did not Do much research before getting him (we really needed to get him at the time we got him due to our work hours and I couldn’t wait 6 months on a waiting list at more expensive/reputable breeders) and only got a couple papers from the breeder but our vet believes that he is a true shepherd. if anyone had any Ideas on better food regimen to help gain weight or if we should be on the lookout for other issues he may have that could be causing lack of Weight gain. He does stool at least twice a day, with this new food regimen and I haven’t seen any worms. Appreciate the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I would try a food with a higher calorie count per cup. RC GS puppy is only 331 kcal/cup. One of the problems with trying to increase calories with lower calorie foods is actually over feeding that can lead to GI upset, big poops and loose stools which defeats the purpose. Go with a more calorie dense food so you can feed less volume and get more out of it.
Just a couple of examples of how foods with similar protein content differ:
Fromm Large breed puppy gold formula 386 kcal/cup
Victor High Energy all life stages 412 kcal/cup
Purina Pro Plan focus puppy chicken and rice 468 kcal/cup

I'm not recommending any of the above brands in particular just showing how they differ in calorie counts.

Cute pup btw but he does look a bit on the thin side. You don't want chubby or fat but he could use a few pounds on him.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Relax, it's perfectly normal for a GSD pup of that age to show ribs and look skinny.

My 7 month old looked just like that from 3-6 months old although he weighed in the upper percentiles for his age.
I feed a 420 kcal/cup high quality puppy kibble and a tbp wet 1.5c 3X/day and at 5 months upped it to 2.5c 3X/day for over 3150 cal per day and it took a solid month and until just recently for him to not look like I was depriving him of food!

All dogs are different and grow in spurts. Keep doing what you're doing. I agree with a more calorie dense puppy food but you're going to want to slowly wean him onto it over a week and all will be well.

btw, my just 7 month old is over 70 pounds....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts