German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
OP, your dog looks fine in terms of weight. She should still be growing, so I, if it were my dog, would be weighing her at Least once a week or two to make sure, but sometimes they just hit a pause. Don't over stress about it, just feed the dog in front of you. Gauge by her activity/energy level, and by her physical appearance. Ribs felt fairly easily are what you want. The entire ribcage being visible, not so much. But yeah, your dog looks to be what I consider a perfect weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your pup looks a lot like my Stella! Stella is nearly 7 months (born on 11-9-18) and weighed 62 lbs at the vet yesterday. Despite the weight, she is very thin as well and is not a voracious kibble eater. She does get a lot of knuckle bones, cow ears, biscuits, and marrow bones, so that might explain her recent lack of appetite for her food (she has had elbow surgery so we have to try to entertain her with bones since she is not allowed to be active as she recuperates).

Her metabolism is extremely fast though as most higher fat, higher fiber foods have given her diarrhea (like Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo puppy). I finally found a food that agreed with her due to its low fat, low fiber formulation (Natural Balance limited ingredient duck Puppy formula) but even with that food, she has about 2-3 bowel movements a day. Long story short -- some dogs just have a super fast metabolism. I wouldn't stress over it too much. My long-coated white shepherd looked big due to his voluminous coat but full-grown never weighed more than 68 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Some dogs simply are built very narrow. I had one like that. His health was good and the vet said to wait until he was two years before doing anything. He did feel out some at that age. Do be wary about your dog being too lean as it has been linked to bloat and bloat is a big problem for this breed.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Yes, she looks good. I wouldn't get her any heavier. She will fill out (NOT gaining fat!) as she gets older. She is the equivalent of a spindly teen girl (which we hardly see nowadays)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
My 9 year old female weighs around 60 lbs right now and she is overweight. So if you are basing your concerns on a weight chart don't. Your Maple looks healthy and happy. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My puppy was underweight until about 7-8 months then he hit a huge growth spurt. Some pups grow fast early and some grow slow and some grow late. I wouldn’t worry until around 1 year or so

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
I just weighed her yesterday and after one month she has gained 2# finally. She looks great!
Expect her to gain more weight gradually as she is maturing. Don't confuse this muscle with fat weight. Feeling her ribs and spine is your best indicator of correct weight.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts