German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Panacur does help with giardia, but only if you give it for 5-7 days (7 is better than 5). That's why it's so important to know what you're giving it for. If you gave Panacur for a typical 3-day deworming dose, it would punch giardia down a little and seem to get a bit better, but then it would come right back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Panacur does help with giardia, but only if you give it for 5-7 days (7 is better than 5). That's why it's so important to know what you're giving it for. If you gave Panacur for a typical 3-day deworming dose, it would punch giardia down a little and seem to get a bit better, but then it would come right back.
Yea it was your typical 3 day dose. Vet opens at 8am. I'll keep everyone informed to what it was. May help someone else out. I wish the OP would give update. Mine look identical to that pic

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Just keep in mind that giardia doesn't always show up on a fecal test. Sometimes it does! It's worth doing because it's so inexpensive. That test basically is basically just a smear of poop on a slide that they look at under the microscope. The dogs don't shed cysts constantly, so if your dog isn't shedding them at the moment they take the sample, they won't see them. If they happen to catch them on the slide, you'll get a cheap, quick answer.

You can do two other things if the fecal test is negative and you want to test further:

(1) Cornell's giardia ELISA test (a test that identifies giardia even when the dog isn't currently shedding cysts) -- or IDEXX's SNAP giardia ELISA test -- probably close to $100 (the SNAP tests offer instant results in the clinic)

-OR-
(2) IDEXX's diarrhea PCR test -- around $225 -- but it can identify the DNA of giardia and over a bunch of other infections in a single fecal sample (I think it's one of the most sophisticated fecal diagnostic panels I've seen -- the same technology human hospitals are using). It's overkill for many situations though. From one sample, it tests for:
Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin gene (quantitative), Clostridium perfringens Alpha-toxin gene (quantitative), Canine enteric Coronavirus, Canine Parvovirus 2 and Canine Distempervirus. It takes a week to get back the results on the PCR test, as it has to go off site to a lab.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well poop came back perfect no signs of any parasites or anything abnormal...they think its fly larvae

That’s good! Could be. If we don’t pick up right away, the old poops get fly larvae. It’s really more of a concern if it comes out that way, lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
(2) IDEXX's diarrhea PCR test -- around $225 -- but it can identify the DNA of giardia and over a bunch of other infections in a single fecal sample (I think it's one of the most sophisticated fecal diagnostic panels I've seen -- the same technology human hospitals are using). It's overkill for many situations though. From one sample, it tests for:
Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin gene (quantitative), Clostridium perfringens Alpha-toxin gene (quantitative), Canine enteric Coronavirus, Canine Parvovirus 2 and Canine Distempervirus. It takes a week to get back the results on the PCR test, as it has to go off site to a lab.
I just ordered this test at my (NJ) vet (IDEXX #3808); it was $138. My poor dog has all sorts of stuff going on and the opportunistic parasites are taking advantage of his weakened immune system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does your dog chew on a white plastic bone? I have just noticed this exact thing on my dogs poo and wondering what it is. looks the same. tiny white specks. they look like fiber or something. not moving, poop otherwise looks healthy. ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My pup is almost 8 months old, and out of nowhere I just noticed these white tiny specs in her stool. Last night she had a fairly loose stool, but tiny white specs in it.

* Be Advised I will Attach A Picture

She also had them in her stool this morning, except this stool was firm and regular like all the rest of hers have been. She is on Sentinel Spectrum and Frontline Plus which she get's every month. I'm not sure if this is a type of worm or not? As well as I'm not sure where she would've gotten it. I just wanted to ask around before I was forced to spend $50 on a fecal sample at the vet.

Hi sorry but I am just curious to know if you found out what this was? As my pup is 6months old and and he has this too!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Relax.

My dog’s stools get these, most often, in Spring through Summer months in southern New Jersey. I never see the specs during cold months.

They’re not on the stool as soon as they go, but usually appear within 15 - 20 mins. I know; that’s fast, but they do.

I haven’t nailed it down, but I’m relatively sure it’s fly or maggot (or some other insect) eggs. I know it’s NOT from my dogs, so I’m not exactly breaking out the microscope, either.

I pick up after my dogs almost immediately. It goes into a hefty bag which is then returned into a large sealed black plastic commercial container, until the next go ‘round. Point is - although the container is sealed tight, in the warm months, a fly or two will find its way into the container. I’ll spray the container to kill them and any insects, but invariably, I will find the identical white specs (eggs) around the edges of the bag.

They’re not intestinal parasites from your dog.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NTA. He’s a homeless dude with a cat that you graciously allowed to stay with you. And now he has a puppy?
I just got a puppy. Puppies are annoying as ****. Mine somehow figured out how to poop out the tail hole of her diaper. Only an ******* can’t follow simple rules and takes advantage of the charity of others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My pup is almost 8 months old, and out of nowhere I just noticed these white tiny specs in her stool. Last night she had a fairly loose stool, but tiny white specs in it.

* Be Advised I will Attach A Picture

She also had them in her stool this morning, except this stool was firm and regular like all the rest of hers have been. She is on Sentinel Spectrum and Frontline Plus which she get's every month. I'm not sure if this is a type of worm or not? As well as I'm not sure where she would've gotten it. I just wanted to ask around before I was forced to spend $50 on a fecal sample at the vet.
I ran across the picture you posted and wanted to ask if you ever found out what that was. My dogs poop looked like that yesterday and thinking back on it, it’s looked like that before. The white things on the outside didn’t move but when I broke open the poop teeny tiny things on the inside were moving. I’m assuming they were tapeworms. But what in the world is on the outside? Just wondered if you ever figured it out.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
@Allicat23 - Small white things moving in the poop (like small pieces of rice) are likely tapeworm segments. You need some praziquantel -- it's available OTC from pet supply stores. You'll probably need a whole package of the OTC stuff, if it's a big dog. Example:
Bayer Tapeworm Dog De-Wormer, 5-count - Chewy.com (Petco sells it too).
Or you can get a single Drontal Plus pill from the vet (RX only) -- they may need a fresh sample of the poop dropped off in a ziplock bag. I like Drontal Plus because it will also get other stuff that may not be visible, and it's very effective.

You also need to treat your dog for fleas, and treat your yard too. Fleas transmit tapes, so where there are tapes, there are also fleas. I would put the dog on a high-quality, RX-only oral flea preventative from the vet while you work to figure out where the fleas are coming from (Nexgard, Simparica, Bravecto, etc.)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts