German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
We should probably start a really gross post of our dogs stools and identify whats going on.
I actually think that this is a good idea. Just make sure the diagnoses has been confirmed before posting the picture to prevent confusion. And if something in or on it moves, a video might be helpful. So take a picture of the suspicious stool before diagnoses and treatment.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I actually think that this is a good idea. Just make sure the diagnoses has been confirmed before posting the picture to prevent confusion. And if something in or on it moves, a video might be helpful. So take a picture of the suspicious stool before diagnoses and treatment.
beyond my pay scale !

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
you know - I saw little white specks like this in my grass - some kind of flower or plant matter....is the OP sure this was not something that happened after the dog relieved itself???? these look like teeny tiny flower petals.....

just a thought - they are NOT roundworms, not quite right for tapes and hooks and whips are only visible under a microscope....

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
or pollen -- or conifers -- in flower and pollinating

since last year was super hot and many areas with drought that signals a year of super-pollination

the trees were stressed and over respond with "seed" to produce new plants

the current year is always determined by the previous year

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
My oak trees are shedding right now, and the maples are shedding too. It does look like something was blown onto the poo.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
as I read this string, I wondered if the dog ate kleenex.
Kleenex would digest. You would not see white specs passing through the body

·
Registered
855 Posts
I found similar white specs in my pup's poop while scooping today. We have conifers, flowers, everything. She was dewormed for the third time a week ago, and she hasn't had worms at all from what I can tell (and after taking a course in parasitology, I'm oddly fond of parasites...). So I'm going to assume it's to do with the wind blowing stuff onto it, especially since it was only the one poop in a specific spot near the conifers in our case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you end up finding out what it was? My 8month old pup just had a loose stools with the white specs in it. The wind didn’t blow anything into it because I went right away to pick it up and noticed the specs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Loose stools and white specs is usually worms(the ones in the original picture look like hookworms). Take a stool sample to vet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some brands of kibbles have something in them that can produce white specs in stools. I thought Gypsy had worms because I was seeing the specs. Turns out it was a false alarm. But white specs are something to watch for. If you're not sure, it's easy enough to do a course of wormer to be sure.

·
Registered
855 Posts
In your case it looks more like tape tbh.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The fact that the poop isn’t solid, and it looking like there is potentially eggs or cysts in there is what makes me think that. A picture isn’t the same as doing a fecal test, and Magwart brought up a huge point that “just deworming” doesn’t get rid of anything unless it’s a prescription dewormer. I’d double check with your vet, but I’m pretty surprised that they’d just prescribe something without having a diagnosis myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The fact that the poop isn’t solid, and it looking like there is potentially eggs or cysts in there is what makes me think that. A picture isn’t the same as doing a fecal test, and Magwart brought up a huge point that “just deworming” doesn’t get rid of anything unless it’s a prescription dewormer. I’d double check with your vet, but I’m pretty surprised that they’d just prescribe something without having a diagnosis myself.
They didnt prescribed anything. They gave me panacur which is OTC but I'll her a decal test some because the problem is still there. Also that one just happened to be loose most of them are solid there were kinda loose when he got on a grain free food. Switched him to victor dog food. He loves it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad you mentioned cysts. After a quick search a found Gardia and after reading and looking at pictures of that I believe that's what it is. Calling vet in A.m.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts