German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Shotsie (now named Gunner) had xrays done last week and in addition to the issues with his front legs, his hip is out of joint and he will need surgery. The vets believe that this was caused by either him getting hit by a car or by a blunt force trauma.

He now has his own webpage and we'll be updating it - http://www.gsgsr.org/Gunner_plea.htm

Mods, could you move this to where are they now.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Thank you Garden State GS rscue for helping this beautifull boy!! I will send my donation for him through your website.

I noticed that he has a new name now- Gunner!!
A new name for a new life, thank you angels!!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Thanks. He's going to have a long road ahead of him.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Just so everyone knows this is the latest on Shotsie now renamed Gunner.

GSGSR recently became aware of a very sad looking German Shepherd at the AHS-Newark shelter. When we went to the shelter to meet Gunner, then named Shotsie, his situation just tugged at our hearts. Gunner is a 5 year old German Shepherd dog with a yearning for human contact, a wonderful spirit, but a broken down body. His front wrists and paws are deformed, his front legs kick out at a 45 degree angle and he limped on a hind leg. When Gunner sat down, his wrist formed a perfect 90 degree angle with his legs.

This poor boy lay down often during our temperament testing and was very submissive. He kept rolling over on his back and wanted to be petted and given attention. According to the shelter, Gunner has had a hard life. He had been living on the streets of Newark for a while with a homeless man and was taken in by animal control. He has clearly had lost muscle mass and his conditions were the result of either of some form of physical deformity at birth or were caused by being kept in a cage or small room for most of his life. Yet in spite of what must have been a horrendous life up to this point, he still has a unique inner strength and trusted us throughout the test. It broke our hearts not to be able to take him on the spot.

During the next few days we were able to work with Newark shelter and bring Gunner to the American Animal Hospital. It was determined that he has Canine Carpel Ankylosis which is a loss of muscle mass necessary to help support the wrist joints. The muscles and ligaments in this area are flexed out and broken down which cause him to walk on his carpal pads. In addition, he has Canine Anaplasmosis, a form of Lyme disease.

As soon as possible, we found a place in rescue for Gunner and pulled him from the shelter. The ability to treat a dog with his injuries is difficult and sadly the odds of Gunner walking like a normal dog are extremely unlikely. However, he has a strong character and we are evaluating treatment alternatives with our veterinarians.

When we brought Gunner for a full set of x-rays, we were given more bad news. His left hip is out of its joint, and the ball is now rubbing against the outer edge of the socket. This is causing Gunner pain when he tries to walk. The vet believes this injury was most likely the result of a car accident or some form of blunt trauma. Gunner will need surgery and rehab for his hip if he is to have any quality of life. Once that is completed the next step will be providing the best form of physical therapy available to him.

Any long-term solution for Gunner will ultimately be expensive and time consuming, but there are times when you just meet a dog and know that you have to do whatever is possible, and you know the dog will respond and make it all worthwhile. We will regularly update Gunner's story and we greatly appreciate any and all support you can provide for him.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
OH and thank you so much to all who have donated.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
this poor sweet boy!!!! Where can donations be made?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The Brandywine Animal Hospital Vet, Dr Grey, specializes in difficult ortho surgeries for rescue dogs and he has excellent facilities. He is specially dedicated to patching up broken rescue dogs and offers discounts for rescues. He has great rehab facilities and rehab may be included in the surgery costs. I had excellent experience with him.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, but its a bit of a hike for us. He is scheduled to have surgery for his hip on Apr 30th.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I understand, it was a three hour round trip for me too. However, they charged less than one half for surgery and rehab of what the Baltimore vets would have charged for the surgery alone.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My vet brings took one of her own dogs to Baltimore for ortho surgery.
Shotie's info in on http://www.gsgsr.org and he has made the front page of the site.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Considering the costs of veterinary care I bet your vet can afford the cost of the Baltimore ortho surgeons. I don't have that luck, I just spend money at the vet's, a lot of it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yeah I know about the spending at the vet's. Why isn't this tax deductable like our human doctor bills????

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Oh yes Shotsie who is now Gunner also has a broken wrist...poor baby but he is happy to see people and gets along with the other dogs he is staying with. Perhaps someone out there wants to adopt him?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
How did his surgery go?? I just LOVE this boy!!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Last I heard, Gunner's surgery went well. This will take a lot of the extra weight off his front wrists.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
This boy is going to make one family very lucky someday as he is so sweet. He is in recovery now and will do therapy when he is ready.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Now I rememeber why I stopped looking at the rescue page. I would take him home in a minute if I had the space and didn't live across the country. Dogs like Gunner make me want to adopt them all.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts