German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I can donate to an approved rescue to help with his expenses.

Please send me a PM if help is needed.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I think the day has been too long. I thought I just posted but must have forgotten to submit. I will let you all know what is happening over the next day. Shotsie has a vet appointment through GSGSR to find out more about his legs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
He grabbed at my heartstrings the moment I saw his picture. Bump cutie!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
He is going today. As soon as I hear what is up I will post...either tonight or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I should have the news tonight. He went to the vet yesterday. I will post any details I get.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
BUMPing this handsome hunk right back up! i can barely look at his face, its just killing me, thats the face my goofballs give me when they want some loving! This is breaking my heart!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
POOR SHOTSIE:{ He has Lyme too. following is from GSGSR.... "As for his diagnosis, he will stay on medication for his Lyme disease. Speaking to a few other vets to confirm, the options are surgery which is painful and often not successful orrecommended in large breed dogs or the use of splints for 3 to 6 months (notall day) with physical therapy. We did not have enough time at the vet visit to do radiology of the affected areas, so we will be taking him back. He is areally sweet dog that was neglected and just wants attention. He gets along fine with other dogs andignored cats when Karen and I tested him down at Newark. I will be visiting him throughout the weekand the staff at Elizabeth Ann will be giving him a nice bath and providing attention."

So if anyone is interested in fostering or going out to give him a hug and kiss GSGSR will be putting him up at Elizabeth Ann for a week until we get him into foster or a private dog club.

I have no idea what his vet bills will be but I know that his rear leg is in pretty bad shape and GSGSR will be taking him back for xrays to determine the course of action.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Here is the rest of the info.

"Dr....determined that he has canine carpel ankylosis which is a loss of muscle mass necessary to help support the wrist joints. The muscles and ligaments in the area are flexed out and broken down and he is ending up walking on his carpal pads. This was caused by a complete lack of activity, which often occurs in dogs kept in cages most of their lives. In addition, he has canine anaplasmosis, a form of Lyme diseases. He is being treated for that and was given some Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory...."

I have to wonder was this poor dog kept in a crate all his life??????

·
Registered
714 Posts
Poor boy. Rehab can do amazing things (I'm currently going through the canine rehab certification at UT), hopefully there'll be a positive outcome for Shotsie. Glad they found and are treating the anaplasma also. Wish I lived nearer, would love to meet him.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Bless everyone at GSGSR for doing what you can to help this poor baby.

Since this was caused by complete lack of activity, it makes you think that he must have been crated 24/7. I wish they could prosecute the former "owner" for neglect and cruelty, and make him pay for the treatment.

Poor guy, and thank you again GSGSR.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If only dogs could talk alot of people would be in serious trouble. Who knows where Shotsie came from. He was found living under a bridge with a homeless person. This was in Newark, NJ not far from the eastmost areas of Newark Airport. I have to wonder why would anyone confine a dog in this way for so many years and then dump him? Ya think they would have given him up years before.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hi JIM:) glad to have you on board

41 - 60 of 85 Posts