German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am trying to clip his nails, look at his teeth and maybe even put some breathe rite strips in his ears at some point but he will not let me. He wont let me touch his paws or look at his teeth. i cant seem to find any info online about how to get them to let me. Ive tried treats and everything else short of knocking him out. I get so angry that i have to leave the room because he wont let me do it. So what am i doing wrong? Where do i start and how do i get him to except it?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You could always hire a groomer to do it for you.

More experienced members should come along soon and give you tips.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
ok so i am trying to clip his nails, look at his teeth and maybe even put some breathe rite strips in his ears at some point but he will not let me. He wont let me touch his paws or look at his teeth. i cant seem to find any info online about how to get them to let me. Ive tried treats and everything else short of knocking him out. I get so angry that i have to leave the room because he wont let me do it. So what am i doing wrong? Where do i start and how do i get him to except it?
How old is he, and why do you want to put breathe rite strips in his ears??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is about 7 months and his ears stand up but the tips flop. But the ears arent the problem right now. Its clipping the nails and looking at his teeth.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You have to start REALLY slow. Don't even bust out the clippers yet just get a clicker and a baggie full of yummy treats. Touch his paw for a moment, click, and treat. Do this with each paw 10 times so 40 treats:) Then hold each paw 10 times clicking and treating after each paw is held. Do this for a few days before touching with the clippers but not clipping yet, click, and treat. It will take about two weeks to condition him to accept you touching his tootsies, but if you don't push it and are patient eventually he'll allow you to clip his nails. When you finally do clip a nail click and treat after each nail and be calm. If he sees you frustrated he's not going to feel comfortable with you touching his paws so take is slow. In the meantime while you are conditioning him get a groomer to do it so they don't get too long:)

You can use the same method with his ears and mouth:)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Here's a video about using clicker the clicker to train your dog to behave during nail clipping. You might be able to adapt it for looking at teeth, too.

·
Registered
445 Posts
At 7 months is this the first time you have tried messing with his nails? If so that's probably why he doesn't like them being messed with. I know I have done Riley's nails since he was a a little pup and he's still not fond of it. I even give him treats after each clip. Most dogs that I've come into contact with don't mind their ears being messed with. I mean at first they do but after they realize how good it feels they let you clean the ears. I used to work as a groomer and it was so cute when the dogs would give that low grumble and their eyes would roll back because you would be cleaning their ears. I would suggest before you start putting anything in their ears to curl your index finger up and rub around first. Let him get used to it. It will eventually feel good to him.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Watch that video about clicker training and toenails. There's another youtube video that is also good showing a dog that was crazy biting/growling that they used a clicker on and it came around too.

DOG CLASSES will help for alot of other issues we also start avoiding rather than training cause we don't know what to do. Good classes, for months, prepares our dogs for alot of life, and prepare us to guide them thru it!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
We had the same issue with Cash when we brought him home from the shelter. I started out just casually petting and playing with his feet when we were lying on the couch watching a movie. Worked up to really fondling each separate toe and toenail. When he was fine with that I worked up to running the clippers all over his feet, near his toes and toenails, etc. Then I started opening and shutting the clippers near his toes. Gradually, I was clipping just one toe per day, and then two, etc. You could probably do something similar with teeth.

The trick is to not make a big production out of it. Have some treats and feed them while you're doing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At 7 months is this the first time you have tried messing with his nails? If so that's probably why he doesn't like them being messed with. I know I have done Riley's nails since he was a a little pup and he's still not fond of it. I even give him treats after each clip. Most dogs that I've come into contact with don't mind their ears being messed with. I mean at first they do but after they realize how good it feels they let you clean the ears. I used to work as a groomer and it was so cute when the dogs would give that low grumble and their eyes would roll back because you would be cleaning their ears. I would suggest before you start putting anything in their ears to curl your index finger up and rub around first. Let him get used to it. It will eventually feel good to him.

We got him when he was 4 months old so before then i dont know what they did. i did at one point get him to let me. His nails arent long right now, just sharp.

I will try the whats on the video. Im sure it will work. i really just needed a method. Thanks

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
When I adopted Heidi (she was about 2) I tried to use nail clippers. She was not fond of that routine at all. Next time, she was at the vet so I asked them to do it (they were a GREAT vet). The vet tech cut one too short and after a room filling HOWL, she came shooting into the waiting room with blood coming from one nail. Turns out she is very tolerant of the dremel with a treat after each nail!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts