German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we adopted him on September 11 we were told he was about 4 months old. The people we got him from adopted him from the shelter on August 8. Paperwork from the shelter said he was 10-12 weeks at the time of adoption. It also said he was a gsd mix which i have learned that sometimes they dont know what they are talking about. (we were told that our other dog we adopted from there wasnt nuetered but it turned out that he was).

Looking at pictures on google has made me question his actual age.

So i am trying to figure out his age so that i can know more info about his teething and ears going up and all that. Not to mention that when people ask me how old he is, i never know what to tell them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here are some pics.

This one was the picture they sent me when we first inquired about him on September 11,2010
9-11-10.jpg

This one was taken at a park on September 18
9-18-10.jpg

This one was takin on November 20.
10-20-10.jpg

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
From the looks of him in the pics I would say he very well could be about 6 months old now. (Which would fit what you were told.)

What do his teeth look like? Does he have all of his adult teeth?

·
Registered
906 Posts
He's adorable!! I would check his teeth like Tracy said!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree, approx 6 months by the looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

is he small for a 6 month old or just right?

I looked at his teeth but im not sure what im looking at and he didnt really appreciate me trying to get a peek. From what i did see, it looks like some of his teeth haven grown in yet..he hasnt shown any signs of teething trouble. Im not really sure what a gsd mouth is supposed to look like as far as teeth go.

Also should i start trying to do something with his ears? They stand up about half way right now.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
He is definitely a mix, and the ears may or may not go up. Even some purebred GSD's have ears that don't go up, factor in another possible breed and it may have ears that go half up or go up or not at all. I think in the first photo he looks around 10 or 11 wks, in the second more like 12 - 14 wks, and in the last one anywhere from 4 - 6 mo, so I believe they were actually quite accurate in their age estimate.

Regarding a dog being neutered or not, that's pretty obvious so it's hard to believe they thought he was neutered and he wasn't. Sounds like someone just marked the paperwork wrong or there was some miscommunication there.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I looked at his teeth but im not sure what im looking at and he didnt really appreciate me trying to get a peek.
You need to work with him on this. He should let you check his teeth, ears, paws, whatever you want. If he's fussing about it at this age you're going to have real problems when he grows up. Every day for quite some time you need to pull his lips back, run your fingers along his gums, look in his ears and clean them, pick up his feet and clip his toenails, etc. If you clip a few nails a day, open his mouth daily, and check his ears each day, before long he won't fuss about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im screwed...

So basically im screwed...I got a mutt that i dont even know what he is mixed with. He looks way to small to be 6 months according to all of the pics ive seen of others at 6 months. The other breed in him could be the factor that keeps him from being what a gsd is...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Does he have all of his adult teeth in? They are usually all in around 6 months old. I think that would be the easiest way to tell since you don't know what breed he is.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Wait. Why do you say you are screwed??? He is an adorable dog no matter what. And if you really want to know what he is mixed with you can always try a DNA test. But honestly he is a gorgeous pup so I don't know why you would care. If getting a purebred was that important to you then you should have forked over the money to a reputable breeder. I just think the way you talked about him in your last post is really harsh.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Wait. Why do you say you are screwed??? He is an adorable dog no matter what. And if you really want to know what he is mixed with you can always try a DNA test. But honestly he is a gorgeous pup so I don't know why you would care. If getting a purebred was that important to you then you should have forked over the money to a reputable breeder. I just think the way you talked about him in your last post is really harsh.
I'm just assuming (and hoping) that the OP said "screwed" referring to figuring out his/her dogs exact age and that's it. I don't think he/she's actually saying they're screwed because it's a mix.

If you read the original post, I think they knew the dog was a mix before getting him. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I'm just assuming (and hoping) that the OP said "screwed" referring to figuring out his/her dogs exact age and that's it. I don't think he/she's actually saying they're screwed because it's a mix.

If you read the original post, I think they knew the dog was a mix before getting him. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

I hope that is what he meant. I just took notice of this statement:

So basically im screwed...I got a mutt that i dont even know what he is mixed with.

I hope that I just took it wrong and that is not what he meant because it sounds really harsh.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm with DharmasMom..it sounded really harsh. Like the OP thought he was getting a dog that would like a purebred gsd, with the ears up. Now he is being told that the ears might not come up.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
He's a super cute pup. How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I hope you fall in love with your "mutt." It's not his fault he didn't meet your expectations, and he doesn't deserve anything less than that from you.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Awww, he's so adorable! :wub:

Don't worry about what he's mixed with, he looks like he's a wonderful dog.
I have a GSD mix and I love him so very much. Yes, his legs are shorter than a GSD's, his ears don't stand as they were both broken by another dog, but I couldn't care less about such things. He's so loyal, faithful, obedient and gives so much love to us. Definitely one of my best dogs ever.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
When we adopted him on September 11 we were told he was about 4 months old. The people we got him from adopted him from the shelter on August 8. Paperwork from the shelter said he was 10-12 weeks at the time of adoption. It also said he was a gsd mix which i have learned that sometimes they dont know what they are talking about. (we were told that our other dog we adopted from there wasnt nuetered but it turned out that he was).
He thought the shelter made a mistake like last time with his other dog from there and labeled him wrong. He wanted a purebred GSD not a mix. It sounds like he got angry that his dog wasn't purebred after the comments that the dog is definately a GSD mix.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts