German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a full mature GSD whose name is Piper. She has developed two behaviour issues just recently. We have had Piper for 3 years and are unclear of how old she is but was full grown . The shelter we adopted her from could only tell us ahe was found as a stray. She has just recently started to have messes in the house where she hasn't before. She is walked and let numerous times to do her business. The other she has developed is refusing to obey and listen to simple instruction and feels very anxious and is constantly two steps behind me. She never seems totally settled always wanting to play and constantly wants attention.
I don't have very much background info only and what I have to go on in the last 3years. Any suggestions!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Any changes in your house? Anything at all from new surroundings to new people? Are there any personal issues happening that she might be picking up on those vibes from you or your family?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
What kind of messes? Poo or pee? Has a UTI been ruled out?

It kind of sounds like she is booooorrred or there have been some changes making her upset. 3 years old is kind of an odd age IMO to suddenly develop issues....especially when you've had her her entire "life" (ie not a new dog and going through personality changes as she adjusts to you and your house).

Recent move? Baby? Crazy neighbor?

Refusing to listen as well as anxiety makes me think (just based on your brief description) that she has a very bored mind and needs to be mentally worked more. Agility, tracking, serious OB classes, etc.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I was thinking the same thing- maybe she's reacting to something going on in her surroundings.
We were out of town last weekend, one night and two days away from Hondo. That was it. Hondo is now my velcro dog. Although he is only 1, he has never been a velcro dog. So, for some dogs it doesn't take much.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would definitely have a very thorough vet check done to rule out any medical issues that could be the cause. I second the has there been any changes in the home? Its possible she is even picking up on a medical condition you or someone in your family has that you arent aware of yet... Dogs go kinda loopy when they're trying to get a message across to us. If ANYTHING has changed even slightly in the home, that could be the cause of her new behavior. Entertain her mind along with her body. if they're bored, they will act out just like kids.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
I appreciate your response I was off for the summer and have recently gone back to work so I am not home during the day. Could this be the reason and I will definitely take her to the vet to rule out any medical reason. She had a good night and didn't poop in the house she usually has accidents thorough the night.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi
I appreciate your response I was off for the summer and have recently gone back to work so I am not home during the day. Could this be the reason and I will definitely take her to the vet to rule out any medical reason. She had a good night and didn't poop in the house she usually has accidents thorough the night.

It could definitely be early signs of separation anxiety, especially if the behavior only started when you went back to work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If she came from a shelter she may have some sort of intestinal parasite that may come and go under "stressful" situations. The fact that you are not home during the day might be causing her immune system stress and flaring up some sort of intestinal parasite like cocchidia. These type of parasites can go undeted for years and years and in a lot of cases are linked to "seperation anxiety" and are linked but only because the immune system is compromised from stress.

If her accidents are loose or runny I would take a sameple to your vet and have it tested.

There a lot of rescue/shelter dogs that harbor this parasite due to the conditions to which they live in.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Victoria Lynn
She has lived with us 2 years and your suggestion is very interesting . I will google
cocchidia and see the background. The messes are solid poo. Maybe I should feed her earlier in the evening , so it digests before bed. I have also been giving her something from the Health food call rescue remedy totally natural and it seems to settle her down when I go to work. The Ad for the stuff says animals have feelings to. It seems to work. Thanks for thr suggestion I will google it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts