German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

So I am sure this topic has been hashed over and rehashed until most of you are sick of hearing about it - but really; What is with little dog people?

I don't mean little dogs themselves - some of them are quite nice even though I always privately refer to them as "Treats on Feet". What I mean though is small dog people. The type of people that view these dogs as "their babies" and let them get away with completely inappropriate behavior. I shudder to think what these peoples children would turn out like if they would allow human kids to get away with that their "fur-kids" (I am sorry I dislike that term immensely) get away with.

I will not abide rudeness from my dogs or my kids. It is one of my biggest peeves. Admittedly I see very little difference from a min-pin in petsmart at the end of a retractable leash jumping, growling, and lunging at other dogs and a five year old in the grocery store screaming because the parent won't buy a certain brand of cereal. Both the min-pin and the child need to be taken outside for a time out!

I do realise that "big dog people" can be prone to such behavior as well but I do not see it nearly as often.

The thing that has brought on this late night rant - of which I do apologise for! are some "little dog" people in our neighbourhood.

There are two families - one lives across the street from us and the other lives around the corner. The people across the street from us are not quite as bad. They do however have a litter of three month old itty bitty puppies that they leave in the front yard. The not fully fenced in front yard - unsupervised. These puppies run out to great anyone they see walking down the street. They are all under five pounds and I am amazed that they have not gotten run over or eaten by something yet.

The other family has two chihuahua/dachshund mix things that are never kept within their yard. These two unneutered male dogs just roam around the neighbourhood willy nilly. Now I don't think they are bad dogs and they have yet to be aggressive but it still really upsets me.

I have called Animal care and Control and reported it as it is a violation of local leash laws. All animal care does is give them a written warning which does squat. Their owners seem to think it is fine because they are small dogs and small dogs do not pose a danger to anyone.

Today when I was out taking my afternoon walk one of the little buggers came up and peed on my leg in classic marking fashion. I don't know maybe I am over reacting but I feel I ought to be able to walk around the block without the fear of being urinated upon!

I also really don't like the idea of these dogs coming up and hassling our dogs when we go on outings. Not because I fear the chihuahua mixes actually hurting our dogs. No it's more like I dread our dogs reacting poorly some day because I know that even though my dogs are always leashed they would get blamed for it because they are big dogs.

I am not really seeking a solution. I just wanted to vent to people who might understand. I've read postings on many many dog forums and this forum seems to house the most sensible dog folk on the internet.

Beth and the Zoo

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I understand your frustration and with my new GSD, we've been running into more and more little dogs who do not like him though I've never been chased or nipped at or any of the other stories I've heard here... Only been barked at.

BUT I also have a pet peeve of people lumping all small dog owners into the same category. I own two big dogs and two small dogs which are the ever dreaded white fluffy Pom and Chi mix. I DO NOT let them act that way, I do not baby them... they are dogs and get treated the same as my big dogs. Not all small dogs are terrors and not all small dog owners are idiots. Honestly I've never run into more 'dog discrimination' as I have on this forum.

I do get frustrated with owners like this as they give those of us with well behaved small dogs bad names but I've also run into my fair share of idiots with big dogs too. I do agree with you though, all I'm saying is we're not all the same and I do really wish the attitude would change of people thinking aggressive little dogs are 'cute' and that because of their size they don't need any training.

And I can't believe people leaving their dogs out like that especially little dogs, they'd get eaten by coyotes out here. Those aren't bad small dog owners, those are irresponsible pet owners period and as long as your dog is on leash I don't think you could be held responsible in the eyes of the law if something happened.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My daughter has a very sweet little chihuahua. I am certain "little dog people" generalize as much about us as we they. Individuals allow rude behavior regardless of size.

A lot of folks here own little dogs too. I do understand the issue but I am, honestly, more concerned about the "big dog" issues than the little dog ones and there is no shortage of those. I view the yappers as good training ops for my dog.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I am sorry! I really should have clarified. I don't consider all small dog owners "Small dog people".

My definition of a "Small dog person" is the type of person that lets their dog get away with things because it's small, that has 500 outfits for Fifi, that excuses bad behavior out of hand and generally is either very irresponsible or doesn't actually let their dog be a dog.

It really has nothing to do with the size of the dog - just the attitude of the person. I know many people who have small dogs who have lovely dogs and I just consider them dog owners.

I wrote the post around 2am and I should have been more clear on my point.

Beth

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I understand your frustration, and totally know the type of owner you are describing (and the behaviors their dogs exhibit as a result). And I also know they are the basis for my irrational fear of tiny dogs.

LOL! My landlady has a sweet little Maltese (a breed I have even had a successful interaction with because my sister owned one for several years, and that little "Baby" and I were good buddies). Well, anyway she stopped by to visit last week and had her pup with her and I was politely admiring, when all of a sudden she puts it in my arms. YIKES! I can't imagine my expression, but all I could think was "My face is waay too close to this squirmy little mouthful of razor sharp teeth!" LOL. I realized I was holding the poor thing almost at arms length, and I probably looked super awkward... Fortunately, she scooped her baby back up and put it back in the golf cart, all without a scratch on me.

I think I really need some small dog therapy :crazy:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Unrelated but I thought this thread was going to be venting about how people put food on their dog's feet to practice leave it :p

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Unrelated but I thought this thread was going to be venting about how people put food on their dog's feet to practice leave it :p
Ahaa, me too! And then I opened it because I was immensely curious what about that could warrant a vent. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mego!

I do the treats at the feet thing too - with varying success as far as the puppy goes (at least for now).

"Treats on feet" came about because years ago I read this wonderfully funny list called "The great dane owners check list" which I discovered back when we had a great dane many many many moons ago. Though a lot of the things pointed out on that list could be applied to most large dogs.

and though I call them "treats on feet" in my head - I've only ever had one dog that could not be trusted with small dogs and she was a foster great dane that had been seriously messed up and couldn't be trusted with most things. I try and make sure that my dogs as puppies get to play with dogs of all possible sizes.

Beth & The Zoo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts