German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, I was visiting a friend and staying with her. She has a mini poodle who isn't very social and doesn't play very nice, but it's her home so it was what it was. (I didn't know before visiting that her dog had issues, but I had asked) I crated my dog when we weren't actively engaging the dogs so they didn't annoy each other too much. After the first day and two long hikes, both dogs were too tired to bother each other and were both chewing some chews on their beds...peace, finally.

Then a friend of my friend stopped by with her mini poodle. This is where I have to just vent. This dog came in and got both dogs agitated and his owner said "do you guys want to play?" And put her dog on the floor near mine. It started yapping at my pup and then started to hump my dog's face! I removed the dog but it then started humping my dogs leg, my dog got up to walk away with the poodle hanging from his rear end. This whole time, the owner not once intervened. She did tell my dog (7 months) to tell her dog off because "he's a mini poodle, for heavens sake." Her dog was 5 years old.

I was angry and shocked that she wouldn't tell her dog to stop, so my dog got crated in another room again because I didn't want him to have to deal with it or worse yet, get fed up enough and bite her dog, especially since it's so small. I thought for sure put of all dog behaviors, everyone knew dogs humping wasn't normal 'play' and that owners would stop it.

I just am tired of small untrained dogs doing whatever they please and my dog getting the short straw because of it. (I know not all small dogs are bad, and not all big dogs are good, this is just a most recent example and I needed to get this off my chest!)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wow, nasty people.
I feel for you and your dog, not a nice experience.

It's especially sad when it comes to Poodles, because they're so freaking smart, you don't even have to try that hard to train them good manners. It just shows the owner just likes spoiling them and make them behave like brats, and then don't even intervene, uugh.

I've had Toy Poodles, they were never like that, I would have never allowed it. Some people even asked me if they were deaf or, why did they never bark? lol, cause they knew how to behave around people, that's why!
I have a mini Poodle right now and while he loves playing, he doesn't go around bugging other dogs or people. Most people that meet him are even amazed cause he's not a crazy yappy bugging little thing, he's just a funny little dog that even "grins" at women or girls and offers them his little paws to get their attention (lol!).
Silly little guy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I absolutely hate it when owners with small dogs act like the victims. A lot of the time people with little dogs don't bother training them because they think jumping on people, eating off your plate etc. is CUTE. I'd love to see them try to deal with a 80 pound German shepherd with those behaviors. Not so cute huh?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
that's crummy. My husband refuses to have small dogs because he's afraid they'll all develop that mentality. I have to keep reminding him there's an obedience trainer in the house (me) and we have certain behavior expectations.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It has nothing to do with the dog's size and everything to do with the dog's owner. I see it a lot with some small dog owners (not all, my old dog is not at all that way, but then, I don't let him be!). It's so annoying.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Chis and Minpins can be tyrants... they're little dogs who believe they're bigger than they are and if you allow them to, they will take over your life because they're too cute and you don't have the heart to tell them "no."

Even when its necessary for their happiness and their own good.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We just got a Pom and I put my foot down that she was not going to be like the litter yappers running around. My MIL doesn't like it, but I've coined the phrase: "If he can't, she can't." I'm constantly saying things like, "The dog does not get to be held while you are eating...ever. You wouldn't let Finn crawl into your lap at the table." or "Four paws on the floor please." after she has been sitting with the dog in her lap for hours.

Little dogs are allowed to get away with murder because they are little...let your 80+lb GSD jump on someone the way a Yorkie or a Chi does and you'll have, at the bare minimum a very angry person on your hands.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I had Fiona over at a friends house. She is a small terror. That dog has bit, 2 people that I know of. This dog attacked Fiona twice. Everyone blamed Fiona even tho Fiona never barked or growled. She just tried to run away from the dumb brat. Fiona got stuck outside and I have not been back to that house.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has nothing to do with the dog's size and everything to do with the dog's owner. I see it a lot with some small dog owners (not all, my old dog is not at all that way, but then, I don't let him be!). It's so annoying.
I know it's the owners, not the dog or the dog's size - just frustration since this was the worst, but not the only, recent small dog interaction that we've had not turn out well lately. I almost want to thank the one girl in our agility class with a yorkie because she's actually training her dog.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had Fiona over at a friends house. She is a small terror. That dog has bit, 2 people that I know of. This dog attacked Fiona twice. Everyone blamed Fiona even tho Fiona never barked or growled. She just tried to run away from the dumb brat. Fiona got stuck outside and I have not been back to that house.

This is what I was getting frustrated by. Exactly. My dog got stuck in his crate because he was being non-reactive to this crazy dog that was isn't being controlled by it's owner. Her dog got to hang out on the couch. But I'm sure if roles were reversed or my dog reacted to hers, I would be getting sued or something.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It IS unfair that there are different standards expected for big dogs versus little dogs. Big dogs have so much more restrictions placed on them just due to their size. I expect my small dogs to behave and I will confine him if he doesn't. It is a fact, tho, that a big dog's paws can do a lot more damage if they paw someone as opposed to a 10 lb dog. I'm not looking forward to the excited puppy stage as my mother is in her 70s and I don't want her affectionately mauled by a loving, but over-enthusiastic sumo wrestler (GSD puppy).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts