German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i once had a gsd that would never leave my side regardless of our surroundings. even in the woods while hiking, he would run 20 or so feet then stop and turn around to make sure i was there. he was the ultimate velcro dog. would love a repeat of this. i am told this is called "pack drive"? is that a true "trait"? does any one have a gsd that is also a velcro dog? tks

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hugo is very much the same, always by my side. He does the same thing while hiking, always goes a short distance the turns around and makes sure I'm right there. If I go to a friends house or sonewherehe can't come inside, he is glued to the door until I come back out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The majority of my GSD fosters have been like this (including the one I adopted). While it would be fun to think that it was something special about me that made them behave this way, I have no doubt that it has a lot more to do with the traits that were selected for in the making of the breed. :)

But, I am not, by any means, a breed expert so take my thoughts on that with a grain of salt : )

It might be worth noting that I have also heard the term “pack drive” used by skilled trainers in assessing the behavioral characteristics of mixed breed dogs too - the assessments I have had exposure to are typically ones done to determine the best adoptive home for dogs at a shelter/rescue. So, I would think that “pack drive,” as a concept, has merit.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I should add that I refer to my dog's behavior as that of being a "bungee" dog, not "velcro" dog - as he, like the dog you mentioned, will venture out to explore, but always likes to know where I am and comes back to check-in on me often... probably wondering why I am not walking as fast as he is : )

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Rocco is definitely like this. He is always next to us, close to us, waits by the back door if he's outside and waits for us by the window when we are out of the house.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Tessa does this also...even going through the house, she pauses at each door to look back at us...it reminds me of the old Lassie series..when Lassie is always leading someone to rescue Timmy..:)

·
Registered
746 Posts
tks all. anyone know the best way to get another gsd with this behavior?
I had a german shepherd/rottie mix that was my velcro dog...and I frigging LOVED it! I have a chow mix now who can take me or leave me. Well, not totally true. He's loyal just independent and not extremely affectionate, and doesn't really greet me at the door, or want to be pet, or really cares about going for walks, and hates the heat. LOL

My next dog will be a German Shepherd. And, like you, I want a velcro dog. I need a dog that is co-dependent. :D It's why I love the breed - their loyalty. Now, granted, there are exceptions to every rule and every litter has dogs that span the spectrum. But I was told to ask for a dog with a high pack drive. I also want a dog with a ball drive - shows willingness to work for the handler. My dog had both. What was nice was that his high pack drive allowed him to accept cats at 18 months with no socialization with cats prior to that. If we went to a lake and he jumped in to chase the ducks, if he got too far from me, he'd turn around. He didn't want the ducks as much as he wanted me. :wub: If I let him outside by himself, he'd lay by the door waiting for me to let him in so he could be with me. He's rather be in a phone booth with me that running around in a field. How do you not love that?

I love velcro dogs. It means never going to the bathroom by yourself again.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
all of the german shepherds I have had/have, had/have very high pack drive.

I haven't been in a bathroom alone for years:)

It's never been about 'neediness' on the dogs part, it's about WANTING to be with their person, WANTING to work /do whatever for their person,,it's about that person being the center of a dogs universe..

It's also about building a good bond the second that puppy walks thru the door.

I also agree there are exceptions to the rule, but I have always had very high pack driven dogs,

Not hard to find , just have to find the right breeder and everything falls into place ..

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's never been about 'neediness' on the dogs part, it's about WANTING to be with their person, WANTING to work /do whatever for their person,,it's about that person being the center of a dogs universe..
I agree. I joke about the co-dependent part...or, at least that's the joke in my family. lol I think that's also why my dog never had separation anxiety even though he ate, slept, and drank me. He also had great ball drive, which to me, shows a desire (want) to work for it's handler. For a rescue, he had a phenomenal temperament. He was my heart dog.

Having a dog right now that isn't a velcro dog, even though I love him, is an adjustment for me. But I think the odds are in your favor of getting a velcro dog just by having a German Shepherd.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
tks all. anyone know the best way to get another gsd with this behavior?
do the volhard aptitude test on a litter. the ones that score a 3 or below in the social attration and following categories are more likely to WANT to be with you. basically just kneel down and clap your hands together and see if a pup comes to you. then stand up and walk away and see if it follows you. google puppy aptitude test. a good breeder should be able to pick a dog for you that isnt too independent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts