German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear alot of people say GSD's are velcro dogs and follow you around etc. Ranger doesnt????? He's happy to lay anywhere and doesnt move or follow me normally. But he's only 3.5 months old....does the velcro dog stage come as they age? I like the idea of a velcro dog!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Even if Inara, 7 months, is exhausted she will still get up to follow me around, then clunk down wherever I stop. This started around 5 months.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Velcro dogs are awesome until you trip over them for the millionth time, or you can't use the bathroom alone just once in many years, or they jump in your bed when they hear the fireworks (I actually like that one, but then there is no room left for me or the cats-) When I get sandwiched in the bed by 2 GSD's and can't breath I have to wonder
But I Love 'em anyway

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally Posted By: laura929I hear alot of people say GSD's are velcro dogs and follow you around etc. I like the idea of a velcro dog!
Be careful what you wish for ~ I haven't gone to the bathroom or taken a shower without a dog in the room (or waiting against the outside of the door) since we got Chance & Abby.

They make sure you know they are there when by "snuffling" at the crack at the bottom of the door. I tell them I have been using the bathroom on my own for about 50 years and I am not going to escape by climbing out a window!

I really do love having my velcro dogs, but feel bad when they are exhausted yet still feel the need to follow me if I leave the room for any reason.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Koch is a Velcro dog, but she will keep her distance - she will wnat to be near, but will "keep to her own" so to speak

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans usually stay put as long as they can see me. But if I move out of sight then the parade starts and they'll follow me wherever I go. And like Sgtmom52 says, if I shut the bathroom door I get lots of franic sniffing under the door like I'll disappear since they can't see me.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Lucy didnt turn into a velcro dog until she was at least 6 months old. When she was younger than that, she'd go wherever the action was. I think as they age, they develop the whole velcro dog personality. Now this dog doesnt let me out of her site.

·
Registered
234 Posts
LOL.. my Cylo is only 2.5 mo old and he's been a Velcro pup since they following day he arrived. I swear I've already tripped over 100 times in the past two weeks. The thing with this is they loves to get so close and in-between your legs when you walk. I now have to walk 3 steps, stop to check and walk another 3 steps.. gotta love the attachment..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe Ranger will be a "loose velcro dog". The main part of my house is open...there really isnt anywhere he likes to lay where he cant see me most all of the day. I have noticed when I'm on the computer...he lays either behind my chair or under my feet. He rarely follows me to the bathroom though. He'll lay in the kitchen when I cook.

But if I sit down on the floor anywhere in the house....he's in my lap in a second
Until he gets hot...then he goes back to lay on his a/c vent

I think he'd be more velcroey if I didnt how so much other stuff....he has to share his time with me with 2 skin kids too!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That reminds me of these cards that one of the dog supply places I used to order from gave out with your order... They had pictures of Shepherds and a person doing different things and underneath it said "never ___ alone again" like there was one with someone at a computer with a dog climbing on them and it said "Never work alone again" and one with a van with like 6 dogs sticking their heads out the windows that said "Never drive alone again" and so on...

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
can't shut a door here OMG its like someone is killing him
I am upstairs right now and he is at the foot of the stairs cause he knows I can't leave unless I come downstairs,
Brady doesn't follow my every step i don't trip over him
but he knows where I am at all times in the house.
if he goes outside he'll wait at the door for either myself or DH to go out with him and it all started around 6 months

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am not alone I see! Kodiak always was a velcro dog from day one at home. He has gone as far as joining me in the shower! Arwen has joined the parade! They will be sound asleep and if I move...they are up in a flash. And there is no sneaking...Kodiak will put his paw on the recliner that I am sitting on so that if it moves he wakes up. I have mastered the "shuffle walk" so that I don't step on any paws. Although I once punted Arwen acrosss the dining room!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Riddick was glued to us when he turned about 9 or 10 wks old, that first week we had him he was determined to hie under the couch or table. Then Rogue, well, she has literally been my third leg since the very first day I brought her home, she is a mama's girl, if the cat by passes me then she temporarily becomes attached to the cat, ha!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
"I always feel like somebody's watchin' meeeee!"

....and they are! Bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, laundry room. Now I have a dog head that just pokes through the shower curtain ever 5-10 minutes to make sure I'm not drowning.

No matter how passed out she is, she'll get up and follow me. When I close the door for my bath (she's not allowed in for that or she'll jump in the tub...not fun!) I get the door crack "huffs" as well, a couple of whines and a thud as she lays down outside the door.

I love it though and wouldn't trade it for the world, one of the many reasons why I love her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts