German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no link but i heard a radio interview claiming that "scientifically" dogs can survivie and thrive on a purely human vegan diet - the interview got lots of airplay and caused a real ruckus - the vegan group promoting this (not even sure if any of them own a dog) gained a lot of support - seems kinda cool and trendy to a lot of city folk who think they are being edgy and ahead of the game.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Dumbest thing I have heard this week. Anyone can say scientifically speaking, the earth is flat. Them adding the word scientifically does not make it true, but the less informed will believe. I am guess none are vets or pet nutritionalist.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It would be interesting to learn how they can prove this. The only way seems cruel, to perform a scientific experiment using dogs and following them over their whole life. I would image feeding a dog a vegan diet would be an unnatural diet full of supplements and who knows what would happen to their GI systems if a lot of grains were fed.

I wish I knew dog anatomy and physiology better. Even the vegans have to admit humans were meant to eat some source of meat or eggs (probably not at the portions most of us eat) because our bodies need Vit B12, and the only natural sources are from animal products.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
My dogs don't eat vegetables period. I've offered, but no takers. They just look at me like WTH am I supposed to do with this? Just more projecting human ideals.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Alot of the big name dog foods are now making Vegitarian food for dogs. I think its just ridiculous.
My girl loves veggies and when I fed raw they got daily veggies,fruit and meat. The veggies and fruit were all ground up in a mash and fed with their meat.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Other than the obvious lets just look at this thing-definitely a disaster in the making.

We have some members here from India who have come on with pups struggling to survive, then wind up buying meat based foods even though many of the people are vegetarian for religious reasons. At least they respect that the dog is, by nature, a meat eater. Too bad some of our trendy vegans can't do the same.

--wheat first ingredient, wow
--corn and soy, likely to be GMO
--Is nutritional yeast vegan?
--Most taurine is made in China
--Why there are bacteria in there is that vegan?
--mendione--one of those things that is controversial
--Not even selenium yeast?

Whole Grain Wheat Flour, or Whole Oat Groats, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product, Dried Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Nutritional Yeast, Arginine, DL-Methionine, Kelp Meal, Taurine, Garlic, Enzyme Bromelain from Pineapple Stem & Fruit, Enzyme Papain from Papaya, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum fermentation product, Lysine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, , Menadione Sodium Bisulfite complex, Folic acid, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Manganese, Methionine Complex Arachidonic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Cobalt Glucoheptonate

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My dogs don't eat vegetables period. I've offered, but no takers. They just look at me like WTH am I supposed to do with this? Just more projecting human ideals.
Fiona is the same way. Refuses veggies just like me. Her sister, Gilda, loves them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
WTH is "Whole Oat Groats"???

Lisl likes apples and potato chips. That's the extent of her vegetarianism.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My family and I are vegan, and at one time when I was a new dog owner, I thought about switching them over. I bought books on how to do it right and they were very convincing. A big part of me being vegan are the health benefits and the animal rights aspects. It was about being "all natural" without causing unnecessary death to satisfy my diet. We switched over to an organic and holistic lifestyle. My dogs go to a holistic vet.

However, part of being all natural for my pups meant to ensure their health and to think about what they'd eat to survive if they lived in the wild. They would kill and eat other animals. Unlike myself, they don't have a choice. A dog would never wake up one day and just decide to give up meat. A human has that option. So we feed our dogs raw meat. They also get veggies that are healthy for them. Most kibble has veggies in it too. Some veggies they like, some they don't. If I blend them up and mix in eggs and fish oil and meat blood, they'll eat just about anything.

I don't support dogs or cats being made to eat a vegan or vegetarian diet. I DO support humans being vegan. But most people don't know I'm vegan because I don't push my beliefs on others. As long as the meateaters don't push their agenda on me, I will give them the same respect. As long as your lifestyle doesn't negatively affect me, I don't care what you do. My focus is to take care of myself, my family and my dogs by doing what I know is right for us, based upon my own hours of research.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
For the most part I've had the same experience except for one dog. My Shadow loved veggies. He absolutely refused french fry's, pretzels, potato chips and other junk food but he would grab carrots, celery. tomatoes or other raw veggies off your plate if you were not looking. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts