German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet gave me a sample of Vectra for my 12 week old puppy. Ticks are already bad here and Frontline was not working very well for my previous dog. Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with Vectra?

I'm reluctant to try something new on a puppy.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've used Vectra in the past. I liked it a lot and have had only positive experiences with it. I would probably still be using it but, my vet stopped carrying it.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Active Ingredients

Dinotefuran
4.95%
Pyriproxyfen
0.44%
Permethrin
36.08%
Other Ingredients

58.53%
Total

100.00%

Vectra 3D Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

Risk Level:
Avoid Use
Description:
Topical flea treatment for dogs

Chemicals:
Permethrin -- Permethrin is one of a class of synthetic chemicals, called pyrethroids, that are derived from natural chemicals found in chrysanthemums. The synthetic varieties are significantly more potent and persistent than naturally occurring products, and permethrin has been classified by EPA as "likely to be carcinogenic to humans." [source] Permethrin is also suspected to disrupt the endocrine system. [source] Exposure to permethrin may cause numbing, tingling, or burning sensation on one's skin. Permethrin is known to be very toxic to cats, causing muscle tremors, seizures, salivation, vomiting and even death. Veterinarians caution against using permethrin containing products if there are cats in the home.

Toxicity:
  • Likely to cause cancer
  • Linked to asthma and allergies
  • Suspected endocrine disruptor
  • Very toxic to cats
http://www.simplesteps.org/greenpaws-products#/h/+/553/791

click on right side check list, this will list all the products that use permethrin

There is also the concern with the "other" ingredients refered to as "inert"...this is a trade secret by pesticide companies (lawn, pet and others) do to an aging law that allows them to NOT publish these ingredients...these inert products are also a concern. EPA is working on changing this

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GatorBites- that sounds awful- like I shouldn't use it! And I do have 2 cats!

What product do you use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts