German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :) a few weeks ago I posted on here about how my 10 month old male gsd was very aggressive to people walking past, driving past our house/garden and especially any delivery men, postmen or people who knocked on our door. I'd been working a lot and so I'd not seen this behaviour, only had been told about it and not realised how bad it was till I was off work one day and witnessed my puppy (who is TALL and 43kg) growl & bark aggressively and knock the mail our her hands. He could have potentially bitten her! I was so shocked at his behaviour as it was so out of character. All she did was hand me the letters over the fence.

So some lovely people on here suggested working with my boy teaching him that I am boss of the front door, who comes past our house & to our gate etc. this way whether it was a fear thing or an authority thing it was going to be fixed. (I suspect it was fear, he always does as I ask).

So initially the post people came to our door and I made him wait in the kitchen. He was not allowed to come to the door with me at all but sit a few feet away in the kitchen and watch. He responded to this remarkably well. I could tell he was dying to bound to the door but knowing he'd been told to wait where he was overrode it - good old gsd loyalty!

As time's gone on he rarely barks at passers by anymore, and here's the best bit: YESTERDAY AND TODAY I HAD TO SIGN FOR LETTERS FROM THE POSTMAN. THIS INVOLVED THEM HANDING ME THINGS TO SIGN THEN HANDING ME MAIL OVER OUR LOW GATES. NANOOK WAS OBVIOUSLY ITCHING TO JUMP UP BUT I FIRMLY TOLD HIM NO AND SAT BY MY SIDE SQUEAKING A BIT. BOTH TIMES!!!!

No jumping, no lunging, no aggressive biting, barking or anything. He's visibly excited and still scampers about a bit, but I reckon he's more dissapointed he doesn't get to say hello and make best friends with the post lady! But now? Receiving our mail is not a daunting thought. Such a remarkable change. So happy we got this sorted!!!!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Congratulations! Excellent progress in not even a month. Wonderful your dedicated training paid off and Nanook is certainly an excellent student. And you have also made your mail carriers very happy.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That is very good news.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts