German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 months old GSD, Canes has always been a little odd in his own way it's his personality. But these days it's becoming bothersome to me. He has always pulled on my pants if he has to go outside, but now he is biting the backs of my legs as well, not really hard but still uncomfortable, and he only does this to me not my husband. Also he has started rubbing the side of his muzzle on me and nibbling with the side of his mouth. He also had one seizure about a week ago but hasn't had one since. My previous GSD was an adult and I didn't experience this problem and my other 3 dogs never had this problem as puppies. Is this something he could grow out of? My sister's GSD grabs the backs of her legs with his mouth too but he's an adult now and still does it but she never had a problem with the muzzle rubbing

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If I were you, I would start teaching Canes new behavior patterns. Right now, he has learned that when he pulls at your pants, he goes outside, so then he is progressing to nipping at your legs to get you to do what he wants. He has now added the muzzle rub and nibble. I would either take Canes outside at regular intervals for his potty time or I would put a bell on the door and train him that when he touches that - I open the door. When he pulls my pants or nips - I would say No! and then have him sit/stay. For the muzzle rub - well sometimes, I just think the dog's nose it itchy. I would just rub the top of his nose but stop when he nibbles. I would also make sure he gets lots of exercise, has plenty of toys and chew toys, and I would play fetch and tug with him.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My Brandy, who passed 2 years ago, would nip me on the back of my legs and as she grew, up to nipping my butt. She was herding me! She eventually stopped and I never had a problem with her. She never nipped at us or anyone in all of her 12 yrs.
My guess is it's her trying to herd you but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does when he knows I'm taking him out while. He knows if I put in a certain pair of shoes that he's going out, I take him out regularly because he has a problem holding it. But when I start putting my shoes on he starts nipping me. Herding seems plausible or him trying to get me to hurry up. I know right now I need to look into some more obedience training. I play fetch with him very regularly and make sure he gets enough exercise. I feed him a high protein dog food and a little more than the recommended amount with a slow feeder bowl but he wants to eat constantly.
Thanks for the suggestions and replies

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts