German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought, I went with a vari kennel for my puppy (which I don't have yet) over a wired crate. The big question now, how to section off the XLarge kennel for crate training? Anyone do this in the past or have any ideas?

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I bought used varikennels and then resold them on CL(didn't lose any $) You can't safely partition a varikennel Better to go small and then bigger as the puppy grows. I started with a 400 for the bedroom and then went to the larger size when pup outgrew that. By that time, crating at night was no longer needed either.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I put a cardboard box in mine, but then took it out after a day and let her have the whole crate. She never had a problem soiling the crate, not even once, but I never left her in there for more than 3 hours and at night I took her out multiple times for a few weeks. Mine likes to stretch out and sleep so she didn't want to pee anywhere near her crate, I fed her meals in the crate for awhile too so she learned its not a place to potty, never had a need for the divider

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I had a smaller crate (for my shih tzu) that I used when my puppy first came home. At 9 weeks, he's now too tall for it so I lugged in my XL (40 inch) old vari kennel. Last night was his first night in it ... no accidents and tons more room. I was happy. I second getting a smaller used crate on craigslist and then resell it when your puppy outgrows it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I put a cardboard box in mine, but then took it out after a day and let her have the whole crate. She never had a problem soiling the crate, not even once, but I never left her in there for more than 3 hours and at night I took her out multiple times for a few weeks. Mine likes to stretch out and sleep so she didn't want to pee anywhere near her crate, I fed her meals in the crate for awhile too so she learned its not a place to potty, never had a need for the divider
We did pretty much the same thing. We have a big box in there as a divider, but it just seemed to bother Jade, so we removed it after a day or so and let her have the whole kennel. The only time she had an accident in her crate was when she had very bad explosive diarrhea while I was at the grocery store. While she was still learning we never left her in there for more than 3-4 hours without potty breaks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard the box idea, just don't know how a puppy wouldn't destroy that :) I have access to a smaller user vari kennel as well, just wanted to use the new pretty one the whole way through if possible.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
We did pretty much the same thing. We have a big box in there as a divider, but it just seemed to bother Jade, so we removed it after a day or so and let her have the whole kennel. The only time she had an accident in her crate was when she had very bad explosive diarrhea while I was at the grocery store. While she was still learning we never left her in there for more than 3-4 hours without potty breaks.
diarrhea is understandable! I got lucky and the only day mine got diarrhea was on a weekend when I was home all day and didn't have to crate her.

with lots of potty breaks I really don't think a divider or buying a smaller crate is necessary :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I heard the box idea, just don't know how a puppy wouldn't destroy that :) I have access to a smaller user vari kennel as well, just wanted to use the new pretty one the whole way through if possible.
if you tire your puppy out before crate time they will be so tired they will just sleep and not even realize there's a box :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Tehehe...the only time any of my dog stuff is new and pretty, is right after I go out and buy a new pretty one to replace the chewed and stained and frayed one they already love, lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tehehe...the only time any of my dog stuff is new and pretty, is right after I go out and buy a new pretty one to replace the chewed and stained and frayed one they already love, lol.
lol, good point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts