German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was eventful, we learned a few things...

1. Don't lock your knees at the dog park, its dangerous and can cause injury when a huge tank/lab chases your scardy dog to you and forgets it has to stop.

2. Baya learned that she is not as breakable as she thinks she is. She got rolled by some running dogs and get this... she SURVIVED :eek::eek: lol now she isn't quite so afraid of the other dogs.

3. Not every dog loves Baya, I think this was a hard one for her to understand because she was rather persistant but eventually she did get the hint... and she pouted for like five minutes and wouldn't play with anyone.

4. Some people are really afraid of GSDs, I know its not new, but we hit an all time low today. We were parked at sheetz and Jess went in to get Redbull (important lol) and I stayed in the car with Baya with the window down. A car parked two spaces from me and Baya did a random bark to let everyone know she was here. Not a scary bark at all, more like a yip. The lady gave me teh dirtiest look (looked practiced) and then actually drove to the OTHER SIDE of sheetz to park.... I mean really. Our dog is going to somehow jump through the car window (which doesn't go all the way down because its child saftey so only her head sticks out) run across the two parking spots and bust your window and then eat you alive... really it could happen... :rolleyes:

Those were our valuable lessons that we learned today, I think it was a very productive Saturday!

·
Registered
746 Posts
So today was eventful, we learned a few things...

1. Don't lock your knees at the dog park, its dangerous and can cause injury when a huge tank/lab chases your scardy dog to you and forgets it has to stop.
Yes, this was the first rule I ever learned at the dog park. It's come in very handy. I see a dog coming at me full blast and I immediately squat. LOL!

I had to stop going because my Shep/Dob developed some reactivity to large dogs that got in his space. He was attacked twice by large dogs and it was never the same. It's a shame because he loves small dogs, submissive dogs, cats...any small animal, really, and he's got tremendous play drive. You go to pet him and he brings you a ball. He loves people and swimming and listens really well off leash.

Now, my chow mix has never met a dog he didn't fall in love with. And, I kid you not, they love him. I think it's because he's lab/chow. He's got the friendliness/submissiveness of a lab but he's got the aloofness of a chow so he doesn't invade anyone's space's. He's submissive without being shy. They literally love him. Even dogs that are somewhat aggressive tolerate my chow mix with nary a problem. Of course, he doesn't have the extreme play drive that my other one has. I start to do a second lap around the park, and my chow mix looks at me like, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? We just did one lap. You go ahead and I'll just stay here." I've never met a dog as resistent to exercise as this one. Heh.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
THAT is a really useful tip! :thumbup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
LOL i got knocked over when Josie and a Lab were playing!. They ran right into my leg and fell right on my butt!!!.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That is a lot of stuff to learn in one day!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha it was definetly a big day!

The first time we went to a dp a guy from our classes got knocked flat on his back when out of knowhere this little hound mix came sprinting by followed by half a dozen bigger dogs. I felt so bad for him because it was muddy and slushy and grossss lol Still I had to laugh and he was a good sport!

·
Registered
457 Posts
haha it was definetly a big day!

The first time we went to a dp a guy from our classes got knocked flat on his back when out of knowhere this little hound mix came sprinting by followed by half a dozen bigger dogs. I felt so bad for him because it was muddy and slushy and grossss lol Still I had to laugh and he was a good sport!
Have you ever had a group of 6 dogs running right at you? That happend to me when i went to take Josie in to play with other dogs at my training place. They have a play ground there for dogs, almost like a mini dog park only it's a controlled environment.

Jose, a Lab, a couple of goldens another shepherd and few others that were a mix breed were running in packs like they were playing. I happen to be IN the way when they were running towards me. I just jumped out of the way as fast i could!. What a freaky sight! :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts