German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows what Valley Fever is, right?

I live in the Arizona desert and, my dog is a digger, he contracted Valley Fever when he breathed in the spores.

His particular case, hasn't affected his lungs like the disease often does, but, has affected his bones.

We took him to the vet when he started limping on his left hind and, it hadn't improved in a couple days.......we thought soft tissue injury, his x-rays are good, no hip problems so, a cocci titer was sent off.

Yep, positive.

He's on Fluconazole for an entire year.

He's already getting tired of the methods used to administer the 2 pills, twice a day.

Its peanut butter and, sirloin, I think hez onto us, he knows there's medicine in there!

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
That sucks, sorry you/you’re pup are dealing with this. My girl had taken a lot of meds throughout her lifetime and toward her final years no trick worked all that great. Hiding pills in a spoonful of cat food or beef gravy worked for some time, but she figured that out too.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My dog has been on regular meds for a few years. I just matter of factly open his mouth and gently shove it down his throat, it's part of the routine. Initially, I'd coat them in butter or coconut oil so they went down easily, and he got a pleasant aftertaste. When I broke my arm last year and had to administer his meds one handed, with my non dominant hand, he was amazingly awesomely cooperative taking his meds, while I was so very awkward and clumsy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Keep a variety of things on hand. Stuff the pills in a piece of hot dog, velvetta cheese is soft and pills can be stuffed into a small cube. Cream cheese works too. Poach some beef or chicken liver, drain and whiz in a food processor to make a super tasty paste. Stuff them in little meatballs. fresh pet dog food rolls or something similar would work. Commercially made pill pockets. I feel like using a variety of things helps to keep them from catching on. Or you could do like Dunkirk and I do and just pill him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the opening mouth and, pushing the pills down the throat.....for some reason, he saw it as a threat....? Because he became a little, snarls.

Maybe because, before that I had already tried 3 times, with 3 different types of food and, he was growing impatient with me.

I'm using thinly sliced sirloin, wrapping the pills in them and, he eats them pretty good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep a variety of things on hand. Stuff the pills in a piece of hot dog, velvetta cheese is soft and pills can be stuffed into a small cube. Cream cheese works too. Poach some beef or chicken liver, drain and whiz in a food processor to make a super tasty paste. Stuff them in little meatballs. fresh pet dog food rolls or something similar would work. Commercially made pill pockets. I feel like using a variety of things helps to keep them from catching on. Or you could do like Dunkirk and I do and just pill him.
Those are great ideas! Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks, sorry you/you’re pup are dealing with this. My girl had taken a lot of meds throughout her lifetime and toward her final years no trick worked all that great. Hiding pills in a spoonful of cat food or beef gravy worked for some time, but she figured that out too.
I'm wondering, after a whole year, what methods are simply not going to work anymore.

He's no dummy! I think he already knows I'm hiding something in that sirloin, because, he doesn't normally get sirloin!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
@Pistol Pete don't discount the intelligence of your dog. My girl needs eye drops daily. She knows the sound of the bottle being shaken and runs off. She doesn't really put up a fuss once i get to her but she does try to avoid getting them. My suggestion would be to stuff the pills in the treat and then wait a few minutes before giving them. That way you dog doesn't associate the sound of the pill bottle with the treat. They are smart and figure that out quickly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We've never really messed around trying to give pills to our dogs or cats. We crush them, add a few ml of water and squirt it into the back of their mouth with a needleless syringe. No wondering that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My husband has taken over the medication giving, Pistol is his shadow, from an early age, Pistol decided it was he, to whom he belongs......LOL.....

My husband, can do things to/with that dog, that I can't, Pistol minds me, if I give commands he'll do them, sometimes grudgingly, but, he does them, but, its my husband whom he adores......maybe I'm too strict......LOL...

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
When I hid the pill inside a hotdog or something similar I’d have 2 pieces ready. The first hotdog piece is “loaded” and given, the second is given after a brief pause. The idea is to get them to quickly swallow the first piece without chewing using the second as a bit of a lure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're running into the problem of appetite loss, which is a symptom of the Valley Fever, so he's not real big on any foods right now, he just picks at his dog food, even though I've started mixing in a little canned, which he usually doesn't get, just to entice him to eat.

He doesn't seem to be losing weight, he wasn't really a big eater to begin with, so I won't become worried unless I see a noticeable weight drop-off.

If he gets the 2 pills twice a day and, eats at least some of his food, Im good!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
for giving pills, a fun trick.
I cut a hotdog into slices, thick enough to press a pill into but small enough to swallow. I toss them to the dog to catch, fairly quickly so they don't think just swallow. Somewhere in the middle I toss the one with the pill, then another piece right after and maybe one more just for good measure. The trick is to get them amped up to catching and swallowing before you throw the one with the pill.
For good measure get him in the habit of catching a few quickly thrown treats and for really good measure always stop the game if he misses.
I have also used processed cheese, or meat paste.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We used something “super tasty” to give Hunter 2 pills 2x a day for 2 years! Wrapped the pills in sliced salami. He associated the sound of the pills with a treat so we had no issues. It helped that he rarely got human food so it really was a treat when we started. I had to use a big enough piece to make a good salami “bundle“. His favourite - German salami, what else lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts