German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy (15wks), and I'm sure many other's dogs, hate vacuum cleaners. Bark bark bark, until it gets turned off and goes away

I got a little handheld vacuum I use on our stairs, to get into places my full size vacuum can't, or just some quick cleaning of balls of fur floating around. I use it more often, so I decided today would be a good time to just get her used to it

First I put it on a chair. I got my pup into a sit near it and gave some praise and treats for being calm with the vacuum being OFF

Next I'd quickly turn it ON and OFF, and give a treat if she was calm. I continued this a few times doing longer ON times. I eventually was able to leave it running with her sitting about 3-5' away from it and being calm

After 2-3 times of that, I would slowly wave it around in the air while ON. Just a few waves, then back on the chair (still ON) and treats

Lastly I used it around areas near her. The couch was still 3' away and she was being very good about it, just watching me. Treats and praise and I did this a few times

This took prob less than 5 mins. I was actually surprised how well she did because usually she usually starts barking the second it's ON. Perhaps she's gotten used to "SIT" and it is now attached to "we're going to do some fun work and you'll get some treats"

I'm sure there might be other ways. I saw a similar technique used for an electric nail filer (that didn't work and I hate the thing anyway), but otherwise, I didn't look up anything on how to get a puppy used to a vacuum, but it seems to have worked

I'll work on this and up the number of sessions as well. Then I'll move to the full size vacuum which should only be a size issue rather than noise

As always, YMMV, but this "I want to try something" session seemed to work really well for my pup. If only one person finds this valuable, then my job is done :grin2:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
This is close to the same method I used to train Woolf to accept being vacuumed himself. I stretched it out over days instead of jumping right in with the last step. Now I have to put him in a down stay sometimes when I vacuum because he wants the vacuum used on him instead.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
When Nitro was a pup, I would redirect his prey drive from the vacuum cleaner to his squeaker ball by throwing it. It didn't take long for him to ignore the vacuum. When that vacuum cleaner died a few years later, I was surprised (with my human perspective) that I had to 'de-sensitize' him to the new one. It only took a few 'leave it' commands though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is close to the same method I used to train Woolf to accept being vacuumed himself. I stretched it out over days instead of jumping right in with the last step. Now I have to put him in a down stay sometimes when I vacuum because he wants the vacuum used on him instead.
Haha, well, she was doing so well, I figured I'd just keep on going until she didn't like it, but she put up with it

That's not to say for tomorrow I'm going to go to the last step. I'll prob start over and keep easing into the final step at the end of the session

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You know why GSD don't like vacuums right? You're sucking up all their hard work!!! They work so tirelessly to make those rolling tumbleweeds go across the floor and then you go and vacuum them all up! :grin2: I crated my guy when he was little because he was crazy, I think he was scared. It gave him a place to go where he felt safe and when he was a bit older he did much better.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think that I just left the vacuum on for periods of time, longer each time so they got used to the sound. I don't think any of them ever barked at the vacuum. Now when I vacunm I have to tell them to move because they will literally just lay there as I vacuum about an inch away. They don't mind when I vacuum them either.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I don’t remember having any issues with the vaccume -the snow shovel max would go after and the swifter as a pup. Luna loves to chase the swifter to. Yeah when I vaccume I have two shepherds blocking my path one day they do this purposely to one day following my entire path of cleanings. I would crate you pup when you vaccume. It is what I did with the swifter we are all good now,

·
Registered
972 Posts
Huh. This wasn't at all what I expected (hoped for?) when I opened the thread. Good training job though! I was so hoping you'd figured out how to teach the dog to vacuum up ALL the hair, leaves, mud, etc., that they track into the house.

I'll just keep hoping..... ;)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I used a very small shop vac in when we were in Oregon. Inga had never seen a vacuum. I left it running on the floor and she came out tilting her head from side to side. Then she smelled it. As her nose got near the sucking nozzle she jumped back and left the area. Disinterest from then on. Its good the thing did not latch onto her nose. I think then there would have been an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts