German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear what has worked best for all of you! I currently have a Eureka Pet vac of some sort, not sure the exact model. I spent about $160 on it but it hasn't lasted long at all, I've had it going on 2 years and it's already on it's last leg. I'm not sure what to buy, I need something that is going to pick up all of the dog hair.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have a Dyson DC14 Animal that I got probably two years ago now for half price. If it dies I'll probably wait for a deal or refurb of the latest Dyson model.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can't say much about vacuums, as we have hardwood flooring. But the Swiffer Sweeper saves the day for me! All that hair just clings right on it

·
Registered
510 Posts
The swiffer vac is fabulous if you don't have a huge space, and have lots of hardwoods, but for the best vac, I can't do without the Dyson Ball.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Dyson!!!! I resisted for some time, but finally asked for one for christmas when they were on sale at costco, love it, it really is worth it

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have had Dyson and they are nowhere near as good as the Miele Cat + Dog we have now. It was expensive but so worth it.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I had hoovers but last summer bought an electrolux...its doing well and it was cheaper than the electrolux

·
Registered
272 Posts
The best vacuum i had was called a "henry" i had it in the uk, bit like a shopvac to look at except it had a bag and a filter in the lid which i just knocked out the dust. I bought a eureka "the boss" and don't recommend it and it too is on its last legs. Was thinking maybe an oreck?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have it narrowed down between Electrolux Tangerine or the Dyson. Shopping should be fun this weekend!

·
Registered
382 Posts
After going through 3 bissels, I finally coughed up the dough and bought a Dyson. I bought the DC21 cannister, because of the stairs ... uprights are way too awkward on stairs. Love the Dyson so far. I also have a little Roomba robot vaccum to do the daily vaccuming of dog hair ... works great I just turn it on and leave it to do its thing.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Eventually they all wear out,that's why I broke down 6 years ago and installed a central vac. System. It allready paid for it self. No bags or belts to chAnge unless you run over something and the belt snaps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser and it is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! $100 at Home Depot. I have two cats besides Uri and it picks up everything...off of both my hardwood floors and the carpeting in the bedroom. I don't think I would have been able to stand my light blue couch if it wasn't for this vacuum. Only bad part is that my mom recommended it so she never lets me live that down!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I LOVE my Dyson. I just bought the latest Animal model (through a discount from dogster.com I found on this board). Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My Dyson was not sucking very hard. I never knew you have to rinse out that sponge thing. Oops! Rinsed that out and now it's as good as new (and doesn't smell anymore).

I've used central vac at my aunt's house and in our college dorms and was not impressed. There was not near the suction of even my old, cheaper Eureka vacuum. I suppose if you have a huge house and not very many people or pets it would be enough but if you have a small house with six pets and constantly in/out traffic with dirt, leaves, etc it would be pretty worthless to me.

The best suction I ever used was a standard shop vac. However I got the nice Dyson b/c mine was half off and it's much smaller and lighter than my old vacuum.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My Dyson was not sucking very hard. I never knew you have to rinse out that sponge thing. Oops! Rinsed that out and now it's as good as new (and doesn't smell anymore).

I've used central vac at my aunt's house and in our college dorms and was not impressed. There was not near the suction of even my old, cheaper Eureka vacuum. I suppose if you have a huge house and not very many people or pets it would be enough but if you have a small house with six pets and constantly in/out traffic with dirt, leaves, etc it would be pretty worthless to me.

The best suction I ever used was a standard shop vac. However I got the nice Dyson b/c mine was half off and it's much smaller and lighter than my old vacuum.

:D:D Well, did you plug the hose into the wall??

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah...I just can't see paying $400-$500 for a vacuum cleaner. I have heard the Pet Eraser is great for pet hair too. Excellent rating for pet hair on Consumer Reports.

My problem is I have Berber carpet. You are not supposed to use a rolling/rotating brush on those carpets and all pet hair vacuums have this brush as far as I know.

Anyone aware of one that doesn't or maybe anybody out there with Berber carpet that can recommend a good vacuum for it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts