German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new puppy has had 2 vaccinations given by the breeder at 6 and 8 weeks, her instructions are 2 more 2 weeks apart. I will be giving his 3rd in 2 days at 10 weeks of age, therefore his 4th set at 12 weeks. Most recommendations are last set at 16 weeks. My question is if he has his 4th set at 12 weeks will he be good to go? I don’t want to give 5 sets. Lost a doberman pup years ago to parvovirus and do not want to do this wrong. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
34,163 Posts
Why arent you following the vet recommendations?

8, 12, 16. And do rabies 2 weeks after.

6 weeks is to early. The mothers immunity should still be primary. The puppy series is two fold- to build immunity and to hit z window where the mothers immunity has worn off. Also, I highly recommend you only use vaccines from the vet. These are very sensitive to temperature.

I used vaccines from my breeder and when I did a titer at one year, he had zero immunity to distemper. So either the vaccines went bad or his mothers immunity had not worn off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel your advice makes total sense. The breeder has decades of experience so that tends to make me trust her of course. The vet recommends 3 weeks so I will wait another week then give the one I have. Purchased from the vet today, stored in my fridge at 36 degrees. That means his 4th dose will be at 15 weeks waiting the 3 weeks. I live remote his only on the ground activity and out door training has been in snow covered fields. No tracks of any animals, a shopping cart in parking lots. I’m very paranoid of parvovirus that’s why I’m so obsessed with doing it correctly. There’s so much conflicting info. Yours makes sense. Do you feel this protocol will cover him?

·
Registered
34,163 Posts
I would never again give a vaccine that was not stored at a vet's. That's my only opinion.

I would advise you titer the puppy about a month after the last vaccine. Then you'll know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts