German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After surviving 3 years in a house with a german shedder, my vaccum cleaner is starting to die. Sooooooooo the search for a new one begins. Any suggestions as to brand and model? I've heard that Dysons are really good but I need it to be under $100 if possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dont really know of any under 100 that will stand up to a GSD. I have a kirby and it does a great job, it even has an attachment that I vaccum Lily with. Before that I had a pet paws eureka, it didnt even last six months and said it was designed for pet fur, it had a picture of a beagle on it, apparently they didnt try it with a GSD. It even had a little side attachment brush that took the fur off the furniture, I think it was under 100 but like I said it didnt last long, my main problem with it was that it kept getting clogged up.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I've had the Eureka Pet Lover's vac for going on 5 years now and it's been working fine, BUT I paid more then $100 for it at the time, closer to $200 but I see you can get them at Home Depot for less now.

Downside, it's heavy and the replacement hepa filters are pricey.

Upside, it's been durable and I like the 'pet paw' attachment which has a spinning brush, it has excellent suction but with the bagless type you must keep the filters clean. This model allows you to turn the brush roller on and off for multiple surface cleaning.

Eureka Pet Lover Bagless Upright-3276BVZ at The Home Depot

(in edit: watch out for the 'discount' versions of the brands at discount retailers, manufacturers to meet the low price margins at places like walmart sell similiar models for less, but they cut corners on quality)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had the Eureka Pet Lover's vac for going on 5 years now and it's been working fine, BUT I paid more then $100 for it at the time, closer to $200 but I see you can get them at Home Depot for less now.

Downside, it's heavy and the replacement hepa filters are pricey.

Upside, it's been durable and I like the 'pet paw' attachment which has a spinning brush, it has excellent suction but with the bagless type you must keep the filters clean.

Eureka Pet Lover Bagless Upright-3276BVZ at The Home Depot
Yep that is the same one I had, the hose kept getting clogged, I got it at walmart I am pretty sure it was about a 100 or maybe a bit more. I guess I might have just gotten a bum one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My Dyson is 7 years old and I decided it was time to relegate it to the basement and buy 2 new vacuums. I bought 2 Shark Navagators for a fraction of the price, and they work just as well. The only drawback is the dust holders are smaller than the Dyson, so I have to empty them more often. I have 4 short hair shepherds (non-German).

·
Registered
51 Posts
my dad makes Panasonic vacuums and he takes my mom's Maine Coon's hair in for testing. ive also never had a problem with them. idk about the price though.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Bissell powergroom in 5 yrs~the upright lock mechanism wore out on two of them.
I vacuum daily(parrots in the house too!) and they work well, you do have to blow out the filters regularly however. Walmart has the best prices on the Bissell. I luckily have Kenmore floor attachments that fit the hose wand of the Bissell, makes it much easier to clean the hard floors.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I also have Eureka pet vac. I've had it 2 years now. I have a shih tzu and poodle / maltipoo mix. I love the attachments that work on removing the hair from fabric. It doesn't work as great as it used to, but it still gets the job done. We will see how it holds up to the gsd, now that Dexters coat is starting to come in.:)

I was going to buy a Kirby a few years back, but my son bout fell of the chair when he heard the price. :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The walmart ones are different, I've run into the problem before too.

We got ours at an appliance store (hh gregg's I think it was) where they sell the better models but they are more $$$. I've got two GSDs, an Aussie and had a collie/corgie plush hairy dog mix and have not had a problem with clogging hoses on this modle.

The trickey thing is the walmart models look very similiar to the better ones and you think you're getting a great deal, but they are made to different specifications.

Yep that is the same one I had, the hose kept getting clogged, I got it at walmart I am pretty sure it was about a 100 or maybe a bit more. I guess I might have just gotten a bum one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Gwenhwyfair, it is a little off topic but I am curious whether you think your GSD or your Aussie is worse for shedding. My Aussie is terrible. Continuous shedding, very long fur, lots of it. Ranger sheds a lot but since he is only 11 months I can't tell which is worse. (My GSD is a short hair.)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Our Aussie is 1 1/2 years old and thus far she's not shedding as much as my GSDs. Having said that her undercoat is this fluffier and finer hair that floats around more and the longer guard hairs seem to be more stubborn to come out of fabric/carpet.

Since she's joined our pack we've become accustomed to Aussie hair being a condiment at dinner time. It gets everywhere. :laugh:

btw she is SO worth it, love love love them Aussies!

Gwenhwyfair, it is a little off topic but I am curious whether you think your GSD or your Aussie is worse for shedding. My Aussie is terrible. Continuous shedding, very long fur, lots of it. Ranger sheds a lot but since he is only 11 months I can't tell which is worse. (My GSD is a short hair.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got a Shark Navigator as a wedding present and I absolutely love it! Its not to heavy, it swivels, and I feel like it has pretty darn good suction. And there are lots of attachments available. I believe that there is one for using on dogs, but Jade just attacks the vacuum so I never looked into that.

Its about $200 so definitely over your budget, but it is a very good vacuum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the responses. I also have the Eureka pet vaccum. I got it for $20 3 years ago. For the last 3 years we've had hardwood floors so I would really only use the hose part but now we have carpet. The brush part of the vaccum would spin even if I was using just the hose, so it has worn out. It still works but its starting to smell alot when I use it and the suction is not very good.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a Eureka Airspeed vacuum with a Hepa filter. It's almost a couple of years old and does a great job.

I haven't had Lisl all that long but I had no problem with the vacumm sucking up her first puppy shed. You have to keep the filter and the holder clean though. If you do that, this thing will practically suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I'd put it up against a Dyson any day. My sister has one of those. I was not impressed compared to mine.

This really is a great vacuum. It was less than $150 at Wal-Mart.

Of course, they probably don't make this model anymore and have since come out with something that claims to be better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the Hover Wind Tunnel (bagged) (Anniversary model) Consumer-reports gave it top marks. Wrks great on everything. Our first one lasted 12.5 years - still works, brush wore out. Amazon had best price

1 - 16 of 16 Posts