German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I am making this thread wondering what everyone's opinions are on the 12 and 16 week puppy vaccines (puppy will already have the 8 week vaccines so I cant do anything about that). Do you think they are needed or can they go without them?

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Yes, they are needed.
You can titer after you have them completed, but puppy shots prevent some really nasty diseases and you want to make sure your dog has immunity.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I would agree. Just the DAPP is fine. You probably don't need lepto or kennel cough or flu vaccines. You also need to give the first rabies around 16 weeks or older but it is best if you can give that one several weeks later than completing the series.

My gameplan is to titer for distemper and parvo every three years and with some of the rabies challenge fund data coming in feel better about giving the legally required rabies vaccine every three as well.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Vaccines at 8, 12, and 16 weeks. These are absolutely needed.

At 1 year you can either booster or titer.

Every 3 years after that, you should titer for parvo and distemper.

Vaccinate for rabies as your state requires by law. Every state is different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for the replies! I am just wondering because I got some mixed answers about the vaccines when I was talking to other dog owners I know. But they all said their puppies ended up healthy. And I am almost positive the rabies shot is required every year in Georgia.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I *think* GA is a 3 year state but may leave that discretion up to each county.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Dr. Dodds’ 2012 Canine Vaccination Protocol
Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It’s a matter of professional judgment and choice.

Canine Vaccination Protocol

9 - 10 Weeks Old:

Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy DPV, now renamed Nobivac DPV, when Merck and Intervet merged)

14 Weeks Old:
Same as above

16 - 18 Weeks Old (optional)
Same as above (optional)

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law:
Rabies

1 Year Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus,MLV (optional = titer)

1+ Years Old:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. See Rabies Challenge Fund.

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts