German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of mention on the forum of people not wanting to vax their dogs, changing the vax schedule, doing rabies separately from other vax's, etc. Is there a thread or an article explaining this stuff? I always just did what the vet said (which was a LOT of vax's) but when I get my GSD would like to be more informed and do better by my dog.

So, what vax's do you get for YOUR dogs, what do you refuse, do you change the timing, and what are your reasons?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I follow a modified version of Dr. Dodds recommendation:

Quote:http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

Age of Pups - Vaccine Type

9 - 10 weeks - Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy DPV)

14 weeks - Same as above

16 -18 weeks (optional) - Same as above

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law - Rabies

1 year - Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV

1 year - Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus annually thereafter. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian.

Here's what I do:

7 weeks of age - 1 combo shot WITHOUT Lepto

12 weeks - Parvo ONLY

17 weeks - Distemper ONLY

I wait as long as I can to give Rabies - I try for at LEAST 10 months.

I do NOT booster anything other than the Rabies - every 3 years.

My dogs are around HUNDREDS of dogs every year. Those dogs come to our place to run the lure. We also go to dog events where there can be THOUSANDS of dogs. Sometimes we bring our dogs - sometimes we don't but they are exposed via our shoes and clothes.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I follow Dr Dodds. Though, there are a lot of people who have a hard time finding a vet who will agree to it. I left my last vet because of their constant pestering about vaccinations.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
Back in Wyoming, I pulled up Colorado State University (Ft. Collins) Vet School vaccine protocol and brought it in. She bought it.

I do have to do bordatella to board my dogs but that's it after puppy shots & 1 year boosters. That's one reason I board at my vets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts