German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I would like to adhere to less frequent vaccines when we get to Washington. Is anyone aware of the vaccine protocols for this state?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
While it is something that I SHOULD know, Ihave to admit that I don't. Just tried to do a search for it and nothing is popping up...yet. Something to work on in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
The only vaccine that is required BY LAW is Rabies.

You get either 1 or 3 years - that will vary by state.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am not sure about other vaxs but yes, rabies is required. Also in many (most?) counties they don't give heartworm meds at all. We had zero cases of HW in our county this year.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully it is the 3 year that they require. I really do not like getting them vaccinated so much. That is one of the many reasons we will be living off post.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
It is the three year. I lived in Oregon and had a vet in Washington, it is the same for both states.

Heartworm....... you will need it in the Seattle area. I think it is right on the cusp of heartworm country. You don't need it on the east side of the state. I used to give my dogs Revolution if I was going to show on that side of the mountains. I did not need to use any flea, tick or heartworm med on the dry side in the east.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
(and remember...if you have medical issues...you can discuss getting a medical exemption from your vet for the Rabies)

·
Registered
625 Posts
As Kathy said, it is 3 years for Rabies although the first puppy Rabies is only good for 1 year.

Be aware that if you do travel a lot, heartworm meds are a plus. I show and travel with mine so the one that goes gets HeartGaurd, I do stop it during winter as we don't travel then. Also, I live on the eastside of WA and use K9 Advantix for ticks and fleas in summer time. Although I've never had a problem with either.

Courtney

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: myamom(and remember...if you have medical issues...you can discuss getting a medical exemption from your vet for the Rabies)
I want to do that for my older cat when I get up there. She had an allergic reaction to one of her vaccinations this year. She is not due again until after we move.
As far as HW, we use it monthly. Zappa was on Revolution until he caught ticks from a boarding facility and was switched to Heart Guard and Frontline Top Spot. I am almost religious about him getting those.
What is the best way for an exemption on a 9 y/o dog? Just have the vet write a letter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts