German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do u guys start the puppy shots at what age. Some say start at 6 weeks then some say 8 or 10 or 12 weeks. Cause giving the first shot the maternal antibodies take over. So was wondering what majority do?

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Can't speak for everyone but I do 8, 12, 16 and then one year and that's it.
Rabies if required by law I would do seperately and at 6 months and thereafter every three years or as infrequently as possible.
I also only do core vaccines. So no bordetella, giardia, etc.
If those are an issue in a specific case give seperately.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Ej,
The following is Vaccination Protocol by Dr. Jean Dodds (vaccination research) which is different from many vet clinics.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with and how many vaccinations that YOU want your pup to have.

9 - 10 weeks of age
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV
e.g. Merck Nobivac (Intervet Progard) Puppy DPV

14 – 15 weeks of age

18 weeks of age
Parvovirus only, MLV

Note: New research states that last puppy parvovirus vaccine should be at 18 weeks old.

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines

1 year old
This is an optional booster or titer. If the client intends not to booster after this optional booster or intends to retest titers in another three years, this optional booster at puberty is wise.

1 year old
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired.

Canine NON-Core Vaccines: Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Search results for: core vaccines
"Dr. Dodds considers infectious canine hepatitis (adenovirus-1), canine adenovirus-2, bordetella, canine influenza, canine coronavirus, leptospirosis, and Lyme regional and situational. Please research the prevalence in your area, and discuss it with your veterinarian."

For Dr. Dodds’ position on various canine vaccines, please refer to the following posts:
Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol
Dr. Ron Schultz on Lyme Vaccine
Dr. Ron Schultz on Leptospirosis Vaccines
Kennel Cough Complex Vaccines
Infectious Canine Hepatitis
Canine Influenza (H3N8)
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/canine-flu-what-should-you-be-afraid-of/

Moms :)

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Same here. I titered her four years after her puppy shots and she had strong immunity. AC recognizes strong Rabies titers so we don't that one either. No wormings after the puppy months. A single round of flea meds for boarding. Raw in the evening and a handful of kibble in the morning.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Less is better IMO. The ONLY reason vaccines for the same thing are given over and over is because they really aren't sure when they will take due to the Mother's immunity left. SO why would you continue to inject a poor infant that doesn't have a developed immune system over and over? Makes no sense and IMO can cause health issues like a weakened immune system and allergies, etc. My last two pups had one set of vaccines from the breeder than I re-did distemper at 20 weeks and parvo at 22 weeks. Then rabies at 6 months. Of course I took the necessary precautions of keeping my puppies isolated from exposure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts