German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any advice on this situation. My 16 week old longhair is ready for his 3rd round of the system blast called "SHOTS"..... We have had skin infections and fever and lethargy after both of the other rounds which ended up in rounds of antibiotics, a one-celled parasite infection, open sores, etc. Both times it was the same deal.

I finally have a healthy dog. Here's the issue. There a good chance at any time that my husband could be given orders for us to leave Germany and go to different Euro countries or back to the states. I understand that vaccinating right before travel is not good. What do I do? I almost have to vaccinate to be sure that it is taken care of and that he would have a clean bill of health to go. The end of our contract is in February at which time I could have to up and go with no notice.

Anyone know what the options are and what I should ask for in order to go as easy as possible on my poor guy! AHHHHH I officially detest pharmaceutical companies and puppy food manufacturers. This dog has shown me first hand what a bunch of crap they have out there for pets. It should be illegal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,368 Posts
so what I'm getting is you think your puppy is having vaccine reactions? It sure sounds like it.

Honestly, I wouldn't do them:( However, if you HAVE to, I would tell your vet you want single dose Thimerisol free vacs, I would give ONE vac, wait two weeks, no reaction, go for the second SINGLE vac..

As in,,if he has to have a parvo, go one shot thimerisol free parvo, wait two weeks, if he's fine, go one shot thimerisol free distemper,,and so on... I would NOT let the vet 'load' up with multiple vacs at once, and I would NOT give a rabies along with these other vacs..

I would not do lepto. That of course is my personal opinion, and your choice..Frankly I wouldn't give him any more vac's ..If he's having such bad reactions to them, it could really mess up his system and possibly die:(

Thimerisol is the preservative used in multiple dose vacs, (more cost effective for vets to buy multi dose),,Thimerisol is bascially mercury.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,001 Posts
I 100% agree with Diane. Given the reactions, you could also do a titer on him to see where his antibody levels are. It's fairly expensive but could be well worth it to avoid any vaccine reactions. Also, if you do choose to give him shots, load up on benadryl prior to the shots. My vet had me give Jax benadryl for 3 days prior to the shots and a couple days afterwards because she had a reaction. My vet also gave the rabies shot separate from the rest by 2 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the great advice! This is like pulling teeth! AH! The stupid american vet on post has repeatedly told a bunch of us that we are killing the dogs by feeding raw (which I didn't switch till after a puppy food intolerance), so we go to the german vet who hasn't seemed to catch on that the skin infections and all these crazy reactions are DIRECTLY related to her shots!

Really, if you were a responsible vet would you not at least discuss options with me after the first bacterial infection of the skin and parasite infection? Not to mention his hair falling out and completely depressed? Unbelievable. I'm just an idiot dog lover and I can add this all up.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top