German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently got my beautiful puppy from a reputable breeder in my region. Since she's about 10 weeks old, I made a vet appointment for a general check. The vet office asked about her previous vaccination records -- when I asked the breeder, he gave me a brief text message containing the shot type, company, and the age she got each shot (DHLPP at 7 and 9 weeks). The problem is, the vet office needs a "documented" form of shot record and my breeder doesn't seem to want to give it to me. I've already asked specifically "a documented record" a couple of times but he just sent the same information via text.

In my research, each shot has a lot number and shot number which can be recorded as an official record. In my sense, I should have that information as proof of vaccination for my puppy. I trust my breeder in terms of his knowledge since he has a very good reputation even in this forum, but I just wonder why he's not willing to give the documented record. Is it because he's old school (he's been in this breeding market for 20-30 years I guess) or should I worry about something? He's also against any more vaccination more than 2nd shots (which he's already given to her).

Any thought, please. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Are you speaking tot he breeder or just texting?
Have you left vm explaining your vet needs the information in official detail?
How far away are you to drop in on the breeder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you speaking tot he breeder or just texting?
Have you left vm explaining your vet needs the information in official detail?
How far away are you to drop in on the breeder?
I spoke with him once and asked him again via text again. Both responses from him were the same (just text information). I think I made it pretty clearly that I want a "documented" record for her vaccination but didn't work. I'm about 40 min drive away from him.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He probably bought and gave the initial vaccines himself so there likely won't be a Vet record of the vaccines. If you trust your breeder and believe he truly gave the vaccines then just have the next DHLPP given at the appropriate age. Legally dogs only are required to have Rabies, which must be given by a Vet. All other vaccines are optional, though definitely recommended for a puppy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Normally the breeder gets documentation from their veterinarian that they give you when you pick up your pup.
You would bring that to your first vet appointment.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Some people give their own vaccinations. Problem is that most vet's will not recognize home vaccinations. This is why I opt to pay the extra to take them in to the vet's office and have vaccinations, full individual exam's, a worming and microchips, so it is on official Vet Letterhead, so ther eis no question.

Your vet will probably want to repeat the vaccination, because there could be mishandling of the vaccine given, making it ineffective. In my opinion, it's not worth the $$ saved giving them yourself, when you risk double vaccinating them on the other end...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. The breeder gave me more detailed information (type, S/N, date) so I could talk to my vet and schedule her next shot. The vet suggested the 4th shot since my breeder gave her at 7 and 9 weeks and the protocol is a 3-week interval between each shot. I'll talk about this more on my next visit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts