German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grimm had all his puppy shot rounds, of everything. Then, at age 11 months, he moved here to Germany with me. He is 18 months old now, and I am wondering:

Does he need a booster for the distemper, parvo, influenza, hepatitis... because he is 1 year old?

If not, I will just give rabies shots every 3 years as required by law here. (running titres for all of those, distemper, parvo, hepatitis, etc-- would cost far more than i can manage)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why not just run titers for parvo and distemper? Those are the only titers I run on my two dogs.

So far, I have kept my dogs current on their rabies vaccinations (three year vaccine). However, when Tasha comes due for a booster, I will titer her for rabies as well and try to avoid further vaccinations. She has auto-immune issues and I really don't want to rock the boat.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Marianne. I was not sure what to do about this. I will check on the titre costs for just distemper and parvo then. Would his body not remember the puppy shots last year?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm obviously no expert on vaccination protocols, but here's the link to Dr. Jean Dodds vaccination protocols:

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

She recommends that dogs get a booster at one year and then titers for distemper and parvo every three years thereafter.

I honestly don't know if the puppy vaccinations trigger the production of enough antibodies for long term immunity.

If I had a "healthy" one year old dog, I would give the booster at age one and then titer. If the dog has health problems, then I think you need to have a serious chat with your vet. After all, vaccines should only be given to "healthy" dogs.

Don't know if this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts