German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably just not looking in the right place but....can someone help me find the research about the 3 year vaccination protocol? It is time for Gracie's booster (June) and I want to request that we go with the 3 year protocol. With them missing her knee injury and now saying I have to have the x-rays done under sedation (no I don't, the second opinion vet did them with her awake), I have a feeling I'm going to need to fight about the vaccination. hmmm....me thinks it may be time for a new vet.
I'll take opinions on that too!

·
Registered
277 Posts
well, my opinion is pretty simple......humans don't get vaccinated yearly, or even every 3 years....why should dogs and cats? There is no such thing as becoming "extra immune" either. Your body has memory cells and a booster vaccine has not been proven to boost one's immunity whatsoever. It is a proven fact that vaccines given to cats can and do result in on the spot sarcomas that do not go away. Think about how vets make the largest amount of profit....the ones that have the science diet and or Eukanuba in their office and the yearly vaccine protocol.

Reactions and cancer are rarely talked about as being linked to vaccines, but a lot of vets know there is always a chance, but you won't get many to admit that. It would be hard to ignore the #'s, or there are just a lot of vets still so in the dark that they fail to recognize that we are causing more harm than good a lot of time. Are dogs living longer? You betcha! What about their quality of life though? The health industry has a lot of good and a ton of bad as well.

I suggest buying:
The Nature of Animal Healing, by Martin Goldstein, D.V.M.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This might help:
from the AAHA (American Animal Hospital Assoc) (2003)

http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=46546

"Booster vaccines The previous rules don't apply when the puppy reaches adult stage, according to the AAHA guidelines.

"It's recommended, not required, that veterinarians place vaccines in one of two categories when developing a vaccine protocol for their practice: core or non-core," says Ford.

The new categories are an attempt to segregate the vital vaccines from the more discretionary, according to the taskforce. The core vaccines, of which there are four, are to be administered triennially. These are vaccines to prevent against high-risk, highly contagious and potentially fatal diseases. Noncore vaccines, to be administered under the discretion of the veterinarian, would follow an annual schedule.

"We're trying to encourage veterinarians to look at the science behind the vaccines and to develop a vaccination protocol that is rational as well as effective," says Ford.

Of the core vaccines, the taskforce recommends that the adult dog receive rabies; canine parvovirus vaccine; canine adenovirus-2 (hepatitis vaccine); and distemper vaccines every three years. "

It sounds like the guidelines are suggested, which may mean your vet
isn't mandated to follow that, but hopefully he/she will.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
By the way, Dante had puppy then his 1 year boosters and this year was due for his 3rd year vaccines - Titers were good for Parvo and Distemper.
He got his Rabies

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It's the same rabies shot, same dosage!
It's only good for a year if the first, or if the last certificate whether it was a 1yr or 3 yr is expired. Some states require it yearly, regardless.
If it's more expensive for a 3 yr, you're being fleeced.
What a big surprise, NOT!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Originally Posted By: dOgIt's the same rabies shot, same dosage!
It's only good for a year if the first, or if the last certificate whether it was a 1yr or 3 yr is expired. Some states require it yearly, regardless.
If it's more expensive for a 3 yr, you're being fleeced.
What a big surprise, NOT!
Actually, it was a distemper shot, not rabies

And yes, I'm being fleeced, I've known that since I started going to my vet (we're paying for their big, new, fancy building) but I pay because I like the fact that they're a 24 emergency care facility that's about 5 mins from my house

Kris

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kris, from the e-mail you sent me yesterday, Ghost's behavior (which was excellent) shows he is becoming comfortable at the vet and them with him. I'd pay any amount of money for that satisfaction! Ghost's sister on the other hand LOVES the vet and would stay there if I let her - although the house dog passed away recently so she might not want to stay if she doesn't have Hannah to play with.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the information. This will be the secone year she gets a booster and I may end up doing titers after this year. With everything else going on, I'm going to keep her on her regular schedule for this year. I appreciate the information.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Jen,

Basu had vaccinosis and it wreaked havoc on his immune system. I adopted him at age 4.5; he had been vaccinated yearly before that. There is absolutely NO reason Gracie needs those shots and in my opinion it's not worth risking her health because your vet has not kept up on his continuing education. The link I sent you is from the American Veterinary Medical Association. The research was done through a vet school. Any vet who continues vaccinated yearly is endangering their patients' health.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts