German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Where do you leave your dogs if you go on a vacation? And how early is too early for leaving your dog with somebody else / boarding kennel? We're thinking of visiting the family over Christmas (they live overseas) when our GSD, Pepper will be about 7 months old. We do have somebody who has offered to take care of her in his home while we are away. He absolutely loves her and has a 6 year old lab at home. It will be a 2 week trip. I'm very torn about going this year because she's so young. Do you think 2 weeks without us would be too hard for her?

·
Registered
262 Posts
First of all has peppr been around that lab ? How was their interaction ? You may want to check that as the most important factor in your decision. If they don't get along what recourse will this pet-sitter take ?
We've a similar situation where we will be going for 1 week on a cruise. We've spoken to a few vets as well (3 of them)..and they agree that it should not be a problem leaving them in a pet boarding as long as they have their shots and are well cared for. We are planning on leaving our 4 months old puppy with a kennel where they have separate area for puppies. That way, these puppies are not intimidated by larger dogs.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I think staying in someones home is better than a kennel if you have that option. Maybe you can have your pup spend a night or two to see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I finally found a kennel I like. There are different buildings for dogs that need more quiet time. And they have drop off and pick up hours so the dogs aren't constantly disturbed by comings and goings. The buildings are clean and modern. During the day the dogs get let out into exercize areas in rotation. These are large fenced in areas and my dogs go out together. On nice days they spend more time outside. It's way out in the country, but it's inexpensive and I feel my dogs are very safe there.

Now that I've found this place, I feel better about going on a long vacation.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I definitely like the idea of my dogs staying in my home rather than taking them to a kennel. I am leaving next week and will be gone for 8 days. I have a college student (friends kid) who I have been using as a dog/house-sitter for about a year now. She does a good job with them. Before her I used a coworker but then she went and got married and had a kid - I thought that was rude. :smirk:
Every time I had to kennel my dogs in the past, they always came back sick. I think it was more nervous sick but it was never pretty. Fortunately, it has worked lately and I haven't had to kennel in about 5 years.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
We leave ours at our house and have family take care of them when we are away. I don't think 7 mo is too young, I'd say go and have fun if you trust the person watching your dog.

Labs are usually pretty good with other dogs so unless this one is different I wouldn't expect too many problems.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why not have a dry run and see if she can sleep over there for one night to see how it goes? This way you can see how the dogs are together on the lab's turf.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree, I think a dry run is probably the smartest thing to do.

I've always been able to just leave mine at my house and have family take care of them when I need to be out of town.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
We hired a young guy from church to stay in our house and take care of Rocky on our last vacation. It was wonderful. I hope I never have to do it any other way.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with the dry run and think the best solution would be to take your friend up on taking care of her at his house IF her and the lab get along ok.

Vacation?? WHATS THAT??? LOL I haven't been on a vacation in gosh, 20 years! My vacations are usually dog shows and atleast one of my dogs goes with me, the hubby stays home.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
does the Lab and your dog know each other?
if they don't start letting them spend time together,
a lot of time. i would let the dogs do a few
overnighters and some long days together
before leaving for vacation. i think that's great that
you have someone to take care of your dog. if
i had to kennel my dog i would take him to the
kennel for a few visits. i probably would take him to the kennel
and stay there with him for a few hours. i would do that a few times.
then i would take him there and leave him for a few hours.
then i would take him there for an overnighter or two.
i think once your pup is use to it's new surroundings it will be fine.
don't worry your pup will love you just as much when you get back
as it did before you left.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Dharma was only 4 months when I left last year for a 2 week cruise. It had been booked for months before I got her so I wasn't not going to go just because I had a dog now. My parents watched her and she did fine other than driving them crazy with all of the puppy energy.

I plan on going on a Mediterranean cruise next summer. If she can't stay at my parents then I plan on boarding her at the place she goes to daycare. I know she will be well cared for her there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
We're leaving Layla and Kasey at a boarding kennel over Thanksgiving and taking our oldest dog, Scout, old Trustworthy, with us. Layla will be 7 months old. Since I didn't want to go through the angst and torture and hurt feelings and guilt that I dealt with in the past in leaving my dogs behind, I have been taking Layla to doggy day care at this place 2x/week so that she would get used to it (she is also there for socialization and babysitting). Kasey will be fine being with her.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually take my dog with me wherever i go. I tend to plan vacations at the beach or such and stay at dog friendly hotels. If I absolutely have to leave him somewhere he will stay at the Doggy Ranch. They have their own kennels which is open all day to a play area. If I want, they have separate areas where he can hang out in to play. Then for extra $10/day he can go to the doggy daycare area which is just like a mini dog park. ;)

·
2,967 Posts
I have taken my dogs with me when the vacation was dog friendly. We'd load them up in the car, and road trip. Going to visit the MIL in Tennesse was always great. The dogs could run around on the farm, go on the hiking trails, etc.

The problem is when the destination is NOT dog friendly. Leaving the dog alone in a strange place when you go out places are your trip can be a little nerve wracking. Are the barking? Are they having good house manners? Are they freaking out because you went out to dinner and it took longer than expected? And then there can be the additional drama of spending your vacation still on a schedule involving being around the walk the dogs.

I have left my dogs in boarding kennels and that was fine too. I think Argos was actually only 4 or 5 months old the first time we went somewhere. The staff at the facility lived on property and LOVED having the puppy. I think he probably spent a chunk of his time hanging out in their office. Generally I think it depends on your dog and the quality of the facility you choose. I have 1 that gets pretty anxious in more typical kennel situations and will destroy anything left in the kennel. My others don't really even seem to notice that we've left. :) I will say though that in my experience...if you decide to go with a boarding facility for the holidays you have to book NOW. They fill up months in advance.

Now that we have 5 dogs, I usually hire someone to just come stay at my house...it's easier. Personally, if it were me, I would just let my friend take care of the puppy. We take care of friend's dogs pretty frequently in our house. We just set their crate up in the family room with the other dogs. And if they can have a playmate from our group we'll let them out together...if not, we just work them into our schedule to get their own time. Sometimes I feel like a boarding kennel... :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
We have ours in doggy daycare which also boards so when we are ready to take a trip, he is already used to the staff and the "regulars" (dogs) at daycare.

Right now when we drop him off he is there about 8-9 hours a day and does not even look back as he wags and runs in!

By starting there as a 4 month old, the staff is very attached to him and so he gets major love as opposed to a one time kennel stop once a year where he might be treated as just another dog.

Over the weekend at a dog walk event, our day care had a booth set up. One of the staff screamed his name and he went flying to the booth to see them.

It is nice to know he will kennel/board with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts