German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
L Dan. Really? That has nothing to do with what she is asking and really shouldn't make a difference. I'm sorry, but IMO that is extremely rude and uncalled for.

To the OP, I have not flown with mine as of yet. I know it's one in a million, but the stories of pets "escaping" their crate scares me silly. If and when I have to go anywhere I drive. It costs more in gas but I know where my babies are 100%

·
Registered
803 Posts
L Dan. Really? That has nothing to do with what she is asking and really shouldn't make a difference. I'm sorry, but IMO that is extremely rude and uncalled for.

To the OP, I have not flown with mine as of yet. I know it's one in a million, but the stories of pets "escaping" their crate scares me silly. If and when I have to go anywhere I drive. It costs more in gas but I know where my babies are 100%
I couldn't agree more with Zebs on the first part.

As far as traveling with mine, I haven't traveled yet but when I do I hope to take one with me if not both. It all depends on where I go and if dogs are allowed. I know I want to go back to Vegas for a weekend (i live in AZ so only a 4 hour drive) but finding a pet friendly hotel is hard when your dog weighs more than 50 lbs.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Why do you feel you need to display such a profile picture?

Do you have low self-esteem or just ...?
LOL I think it's cuz she's hot! (and I'm a straight chick)

As for the question, if you're in Ontario, which I think you said you were at one point, unless that was someone else... WestJet has excellent pet policies. No losing or killing your animal... you carry them on and off the plane yourself and they're in the passenger compartment of the plane. You can even ask the flight crew to check on your animal in flight.

·
Registered
803 Posts
LOL I think it's cuz she's hot! (and I'm a straight chick)

As for the question, if you're in Ontario, which I think you said you were at one point, unless that was someone else... WestJet has excellent pet policies. No losing or killing your animal... you carry them on and off the plane yourself and they're in the passenger compartment of the plane. You can even ask the flight crew to check on your animal in flight.
Hey that is pretty nice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am going to florida in june.. And plan on leaving my dog with relatives he is familiar with. We are driving but Cant take him on a 24hr drive then sit in our condo all day while we are out.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I wouldn't bring my dog because (via plane) it would be too stressful and I'd worry about him getting lost or something happening to him during the route. If I were going for a month + overseas I'd consider bringing him along. I've brought him along on far away trips via car with no issues. Sigurd usually comes along when we have car trips (when we drive our Honda, there is no room in the other vehicle). When he doesn't come along he stays at a great kennel, and recently he stayed with my neighbour.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sort of a tag-on question: if you've ever left your dog at a kennel for 4-6 weeks, do they suffer kennel fever? I travel overseas for about 1 mth per year, can't take the dog along because the country i travel to has strict laws regarding GSDs, muzzled in public, not allowed at dog parks, only allowed in parks during certain times, and to bring the dog into the country requires 10 days quarantine and a $10,000 bond for the duration of the dog's stay...

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
If the kennel is providing proper exercise and mental stimulation then your dog should be fine. I would prefer to have mine in a home environment if possible though.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I don't think I could endure the uncertainty of flying with my dog. If I were going somewhere she couldn't come, or if driving was for some reason impractical, I would board her. We have an excellent selection of top end facilities in our area. Of course, the cost of boarding at one of them might break the vacation budget.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I am not sure if I would do it, I would be really nervous to fly with a dog. When I got on vacation I generally travel by car and I take my dog(s) with me.
However Bianca's previous owner worked for an airline and she flew with Bianca a lot, so Bianca is used to it. In fact she flew with Bianca (in cabin, not in cargo that time) to meet me so I could adopt her.
However if I was going to be gone for a long time like several weeks I might be more likely to fly my dog with me, if the choice was to fly the dog or leave them in a kennel. I've worked for several boarding kennels and although they weren't bad places, the dogs really did not get a lot of individual attention.

·
Registered
803 Posts
To add on a tag on question, for those that take their pets with them, where do you stay? Many places won't take pets over 50 lbs. Are you just sneaking them in a motel room?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
To add on a tag on question, for those that take their pets with them, where do you stay? Many places won't take pets over 50 lbs. Are you just sneaking them in a motel room?
There are a lot of pet friendly places. AAA has a book called "Traveling with Your Pet" that lists and reviews pet friendly hotels and what their restrictions, if any, are. It includes local campgrounds and dog parks,emergency animal clinics, etc., nearby to where you are traveling as well.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Why do you feel you need to display such a profile picture?

Do you have low self-esteem or just ...?
She's a stripper, so I don't think she has low self-esteem :).

I've never brought my dog to a hotel before, but whenever I'm making online reservations it seems like nearly every hotel is pet friendly and I couldn't find any restrictions. It's incredibly surprising!

When I go on vacation, my dog goes on his own vacation to my parents's house. He loves it there because my mom lets him get away with murder and she feeds him lots of yummy food, and my dad likes playing with him. I was there yesterday with him and she made my dog salami and cheese sandwiches, and when I asked for a sandwich she told me to make it myself :cry:! It's obvious who the favorite is.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We moved from St. Louis to Kona, Hawaii with our 2 GSD years ago. It was a nightmare. Very stressful for all of us. Plus, I had to start all of the vaccinations a year prior to our move. Hawaii has no rabies so they are VERY strict about the process. After landing on the Island, the dog owner must go into this building to pick up there dog(s). There is an official behind a bullet proof glass partition where you have to present all of your paperwork, documents, etc. If you've screwed up, the don't let you have your dog. They put the dog in quarantine for 3 months. The quarantine is worse than the dog pound. Hundreds of cages in that heat. You are allowed to visit the dog, but you cannot take him out. I was sweating bullets when I was at that counter presenting my paperwork. There was a woman sitting on the curb outside bawling her eyes out. She apparently screwed up and did not get her pet. I would never move a dog to Hawaii again.

Now that we are back on the mainland, we travel with our dogs all the time via our Volvo Cross Country and we stay at very nice dog-friendly hotels. My dogs are trained and I am very considerate not to walk into an elevator before asking the other passengers on the elevator if they are okay with standing next to one of my Shepherds on the elevator. Most folks are okay but occassionally I will come across someone who is terrified of GSDs.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've stayed at plenty of hotels/motels with a large breed dog. I usually stick to the ones with no pet fees. We've stayed at Holiday Inn, Sheraton, Best Western, Hampton Inn, Marriot, Clarion, Crowne Plaza, Ramada, Days Inn and several non-chain places.
Not all the hotels in those chains allow dogs, usually the individual hotels have their own policies. We just call ahead to make sure that they allow large dogs and let them know we have a dog when we reserve the room.

I have also rented cabins/cottages with my dogs a number of times. Actually I prefer that to a hotel with the dogs but depending on the trip we sometimes will only stay at hotels.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've traveled from Al to Maine and most of the points in between with two GSDs. Never had a problem and finding a place to stay is easy

Will be driving as far as Idaho and Montana and they will accompany us

·
Registered
96 Posts
We haven't had to travel yet with our two but usually make a trip every winter from E. Washington to S. Utah and next time we go we're planning on taking both pups and between hubby and I we have family the whole way if we want/need to stop and take a break and they are all willing to let us bring our pups. If we had to stop at a hotel or anything I'm sure we'd be able to find one that will accommodate animals. If for any reason we couldn't take them we'd leave them with hubby's parents or sister. They may not take as good care of them as we do but they would be cared for and get plenty of food, exercise, and attention.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts