German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
I am down to one pet - Natty Boh, a 10 year old beagle mix.
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this doesn't seem like health and wellness, but I'm afraid vacation will kill my senior dog. To those of you who have/had seniors, how do you handle vacation? My GSD will be 13 in a few months. There is an excellent facility where I have boarded her for the past 10 years. She had done well, until recently.

In July, we went away for a week and boarded "Annie". She was in horrible shape when we picked her up. Her rear legs were so wobbly she could hardly walk. It took me over a month to get her digestive system under control - and I take her own food to the kennel. She deteriorated to much in that one week. Fortunately, she has come back to her old self - at least as well as an old dog's self can be.

I generally handle this dilemma by staying home. I never go on weekend trips. Earlier this year I missed a family weekend to Vegas. Next spring, I am going to miss one to Seattle. And I LOVE Seattle. I just can't leave her. I am already dreading next July, when we take our yearly trip to the ocean.

If I got someone to come to the house, they would have to stay here. It isn't a stop by, let the dog out. She is old and not used to being alone. She also has incontinence issues - always around 3:00 in the morning. Going to someone else's house isn't an option because Annie doesn't like other dogs. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the poo on their floors either.

I want to plan early, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

· Registered
I am down to one pet - Natty Boh, a 10 year old beagle mix.
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. I agree that getting someone to stay here would be best. Annie would be fine alone, during the day for several hours at a time. She only sleeps. She doesn't have to be walked. She goes out in the yard to walk around, do her business and come back inside. It would actually be a pretty easy gig. It would be well worth the money to me - for her well being and my peace of mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.