German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V Sven vom Gräfental

Any thoughts on him, his pedigree and what he is producing? Any "downside" with him in a pedigree (Sire/Grandsire)? What would he cross well with and what might not work? Anything in general.

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I had lost the original post. I meant to ask about what he HAD produced and what his kids are producing. What does he contributes to a pedigree either as Sire or grandsire.

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: Angela_WSven is Boban's father
Anything more??

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
What Sven produces is dependent upon who he is bred to. Different variations of dogs when bred to Sven will produce different types of pups in a litter. The question of what an individual dog will produce, when it takes two to produce puppies, is impossible to answer without the knowledge of the other mate. Sven is a nice dog who has produced a variety of dogs when bred to certain dams, clarify the other half and maybe the responses can have a little validity.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Not trying to be flip about the response above but if we have an idea of the dam, you can maybe have a past reference to help in answering the questions. I have mixed West German wirh DDR before and I inadvertently start losing the type of DDR head and bone that the DDR half had. So we need more info(smile)!

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand what you mean Cliff and agree. I have just seen Sven popping up in more and more pedigrees when I start drooling over the DDR dogs so I picked him as a starting point. He seems to be producing good structure and hips as well.

I am sure I will be asking about more when I start seeing other patterns. Which would mean I have to look at more gorgeous DDR dogs. Pure torture.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Know the feeling about the DDR dogs, love the looks and the natural handler attentiveness. Do wish they would mature a little faster, but that's a typical instant gratification attitude I possess(smile)!

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Actually, you have to watch hips. There was 1 combo I know of that had hip issues, and it's said that you have to be careful with hips going back. Maybe Lisa could look on her cd for us??

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
My CD is old now and doesn't want to play. I can't help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have Sven great-grandson. Don't know much about working lines but I am learning and reading everything I can.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You have to be very careful w/Sven. He has wonderful, excellent, stable sons like Arko and Tino that produce well; and unstable temperament sons like the B, E, F Grauen Monstab that produce hip questions. This is a case where the female half of the equation is all important because Sven produced excellent to terrible. The one consistent thing is they are all good looking and typey.
Also, a reminder that it is not one dog or the other that is back in the pedigree; but the direct parents are the most important dogs especially if one is not breeding but getting a dog for working or companionship.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I don't know if the other lines were unstable, but maybe too much dog for some to handle. I've been following that line for about 4-5 years now and for some there is handler aggression, others in the same litter, none. Now hips with one of the dams (repeat breedings) were called into question. I know of some that have progeny out of the so called handler aggressive and none of those characteristics are repeating themselves so far.

If it were true handler aggression coming down the line, it would be repeating itself. Same was said about Mink and crok progeny too (got one of those, dominant, not handler aggressive but will make his displeasure known) Pike progeny (had one of them was handler aggressive)

So I pretty much take it with a grain of salt. I've yet to see handler aggression repeated so consistently as to write of a line because of it.

just my thoughts.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angela_W I've been following that line for about 4-5 years now
Following on the Internet? Have you actually seen or worked any of these dogs and their progeny and talked to owners? I have.

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speaking of hips is there a website or other source to obtain ZW numbers on various dogs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts